RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Spikecity

Draws affects many hotpots in the Jewels

Don't be fooled. Cambridge is a tricky track especially over a flying mile and especially for horses who haven't raced there before. The last two Jewels at Cambridge taking a line through the first 5 finishers, 35% come from the second line. #1 not flash, 6 & 7 probably the worst statically. Lets see what the punters make of it.

20 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Mark P not down to drive anything at this stage. Is it a good move to leave Olivia on the Princess.?

Surely Nats will drive her - often the NZHR site just put in the last driver which is pretty slack of them - may also explain why Mark not listed as yet

59 minutes ago, Spikecity said:

Surely Nats will drive her - often the NZHR site just put in the last driver which is pretty slack of them - may also explain why Mark not listed as yet

Who would know what's going on at  HRNZ in terms of keeping punters up to date. Be interesting to see who they get to present the big day. Not sure that MG and GO are currently on the Trackside fav list🙄

Listened to Mick and Greg last night on tv. Lot of stats and scenarios.  One stat said #1 draw has won 6 times but #1 draw has only won once in the last 2 Jewels at Cambridge. He seems determined to call favourites as winners despite skinny odds and regardless of draws. One thing I note is the weather forecast I follow on an overseas site and which has proved to be very correct says Sunday is going to dump a fair amount of rain on Cambridge from midday. Could be some Jewels in the rough.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

Listened to Mick and Greg last night on tv. Lot of stats and scenarios.  One stat said #1 draw has won 6 times but #1 draw has only won once in the last 2 Jewels at Cambridge. He seems determined to call favourites as winners despite skinny odds and regardless of draws. One thing I note is the weather forecast I follow on an overseas site and which has proved to be very correct says Sunday is going to dump a fair amount of rain on Cambridge from midday. Could be some Jewels in the rough.

Since the first year of Jewels the day has had an incredibly good run with the weather so fingers crossed.

It was always going to be a bit dicey with a June date particularly in South Island !

Year 1 in Ashburton  the track was covered in snow on the Tuesday prior the event , but raceday dawned a beaut winters day right up to the start of last race when things turned significantly.

Then the last one in 2019 , rain storms blasted Canterbury in the days prior , I never seen so much rain , lightning on the eve of event and felt sure it would be OFF. Walking into course my best shoes got filled with water !

Amazingly the races ran to time and the track was brilliant considering the aqua ! The change to Addington had been timely !

This year ,the situation in Ashburton /Canterbury is extreme indeed and ongoing. 

Back in the day Harness used to cease / go on holiday from early June and restart early August....a spell of about 2 x months.

Of course more all-weather tracks assisted that along with the resilience of trainers etc.

1 hour ago, eljay said:

With new horse birthdays it dollars to donuts this date will change.      Perhaps with Jewels in November, Auckland Cup December (same) and NZ Cup late January

Take it from me the NZ cup won't be changing dates .

Think Ashburton should hold " the lost jewels"  (2020) sometime late Nov / early December. Either half the usual prize-money or a little under that. It would be for those horses that missed those (2020) jewels .

16 hours ago, westview said:

Take it from me the NZ cup won't be changing dates .

Only a suggestion  westview.    So when do you suggest running the Jewels?      It's really tempting fate running them in winter - yes, they been jammy up to now.     Or do you think they should be wiped?      

7 hours ago, eljay said:

Only a suggestion  westview.    So when do you suggest running the Jewels?      It's really tempting fate running them in winter - yes, they been jammy up to now.     Or do you think they should be wiped?      

I'd probably run them January,  yip give horses all year to earn points then run them out of their current season. 

What are the 5 or 6 races mentioned in new HRNZ spokeswomen report that will be changed?  Are we going to have 3 year olds fronting up in this years N Z Cup? As we are all aware 4 year olds have started and won.

2 minutes ago, MAJESTIC said:

What are the 5 or 6 races mentioned in new HRNZ spokeswomen report that will be changed?  Are we going to have 3 year olds fronting up in this years N Z Cup? As we are all aware 4 year olds have started and won.

There was talk of running a meeting a week before cup day at addington,  obviously they haven't been to addington a week out  , pretty sure addington dropped that date to set up for cup week in the past. 

8 minutes ago, westview said:

There was talk of running a meeting a week before cup day at addington,  obviously they haven't been to addington a week out  , pretty sure addington dropped that date to set up for cup week in the past. 

This does not answer my inquiry

2 hours ago, MAJESTIC said:

This does not answer my inquiry

That night was Cup Trial night (Thursday) and after the last they held a fireworks display.

On that note maybe the Dominion will be changed back to the week after Cup week. 

11 hours ago, MAJESTIC said:

This years cup. If Krug lines up will he be listed as a 3 or 4 year old?  Can one of the learned colleagues out there answer this?

Cran has already said he won't line up in the Cup this year. The Cup is always going to be there but in the meantime there are some serious age races in Aussie to aim for without taking on the older horses.

5 hours ago, hsvman said:

Presume he’ll be 4 in august and then on January first he’ll stay as a 4yearplf untill the next January 1st 

How can he be 4 on August 1st when they have stated that 3 year olds stay 3 year olds till January 1st 2022 when they turn 4.

No one has answered the query.

May be some one from HRNZ who watches or subscribes to this website will be able to shed light.

Another query I have do the conditions of the NZ Trot Cup allow for 3 year olds?

4 hours ago, MAJESTIC said:

How can he be 4 on August 1st when they have stated that 3 year olds stay 3 year olds till January 1st 2022 when they turn 4.

No one has answered the query.

May be some one from HRNZ who watches or subscribes to this website will be able to shed light.

Another query I have do the conditions of the NZ Trot Cup allow for 3 year olds?

HRNZ have followed Aussie's lead and horses now have their birthdays on January 1.

So 3 yr olds like Krug remain as 3 yr olds till Jan 1 2022.

HRNZ boss Gary Woodham confirmed this in todays Raceform...page 19