RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Dynamite

Race callers in New Zealand

3 hours ago, tasman man said:

Were you and previous poster Mr Big Stuff involved in contract negotiations with the named race callers ,or did you see their contracts ,performance  reviews etc. ?

How do you know about all this big stuff ? 

To me these callers have had careers in something they enjoy , have done it for some time and in some cases used the NZ experience as a stepping stone to further experiences !

Davey Mac should have finished his time on his own terms,as for the others I'm not very interested but as I say there are only so many jobs,if it ain't working out here or they want to go somewhere else,fine.

No different to Scott Robertson,he may go elsewhere some day but if we keep them all here are we gunna have 3 head coaches and 9 assistants,it would end up a shambles like the Peter's made Government which unfortunately has got worse to a degree but at least they havnt got the handbrake on doing what they want to implement.

Not sure what that's got to do with it really,spose I'm just making a point.

14 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Davey Mac should have finished his time on his own terms,as for the others I'm not very interested

Why?

3 hours ago, Flawed Genius said:

The bottom line is that if you're reliant on the commentators tips for your betting advice, you're in big trouble!

Well put

14 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Not sure what that's got to do with it really,spose I'm just making a point.

Im not sure either so why post it and what is its relevance to commentators

Good on you though for being patriotic to the deep south in most of your posts as is Flawed Genius

9 hours ago, Flawed Genius said:

Their job description is "race caller", not "tipster". All commentators make it sound as if they know what they're talking about, after all they talk for a living, but I've yet to see one, and I can go back over half a century, that was any better as a tipster than your average moderately well informed race goer ... and most are a lot worse!

The bottom line is that if you're reliant on the commentators tips for your betting advice, you're in big trouble!

Tend to disagree here, think George Simon is head above all others when it comes to calling and tipping.

While it's all water under the bridge Davey Mac could easily have both been phased out and phased himself out in a little bit more decent way ,just been to f off after that time was a bit rude,probably a bit desperate from the decision makers.

As for Macnamara,hope I've spelt that correct,the odds of him staying in nz for any long period of time would have been long,a cold night on a thursday at Addington or a sunday arvo at Addington or Rangiora in winter,or watching gallopers plough through a bog at the ace South Island track in june,interesting for a while,sure but the lure of warmer places on days like those is pretty easy to understand.

As for Tom Woods,as I say there are only so many jobs to go around,Hong Kong is probably a nice place to visit,watching the same horses go around the same track,interesting for a while i guess,is he really better off than being in NZ,only he knows that,money wise,probably but money isn't everything,maybe he will come back one day maybe not.

Even Matt Cross must love those Sundays at Addington,that's why he was at Washdyke instead,those two guys commentating might just work things out themselves and  who cares anyway.

As for sticking up for the south the Southland Rugby team,hard to put a positive spin on that lot no matter how loyal one could be.

Ps,I'm done on this subject.

2 hours ago, mikenz said:

As for Macnamara,hope I've spelt that correct,the odds of him staying in nz for any long period of time would have been long,a cold night on a thursday at Addington or a sunday arvo at Addington or Rangiora in winter,or watching gallopers plough through a bog at the ace South Island track in june,interesting for a while,sure but the lure of warmer places on days like those is pretty easy to understand.

As for Tom Woods,as I say there are only so many jobs to go around,Hong Kong is probably a nice place to visit,watching the same horses go around the same track,interesting for a while i guess,is he really better off than being in NZ,only he knows that,money wise,probably but money isn't everything,maybe he will come back one day maybe not.

You clearly have no idea why MM left NZ .Warm places had nothing to do with it

As for your comment about Woods, HKG is the world mecca for TB racing and he is certainly better off there than here. His treatment before departure was woeful. His subsequent elevation to his current role well deserved. He laps anything NZ currently dishes up IMHO with the possible exception of Bruce Sherwin

46 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

For some reason I have always thought this was one of the greatest race calls.

Oopik also featured in another great call from PK when he beat favourite Fury's Order in HB Guineas.

And Grey Way also featured in a Syd Tonks classic in Easter Hcp at Ellerslie.

How great was it to listen to the voice of Queensland Chris Barsby last night

Pink Galah, American Dealer ,Copy That the headline acts and his calls make it more exciting and makes your hair on your back stand up

The NZ callers lack putting excitement in to the race

Aaron White screams

Matthew Cross gets the wrong horses and has a wavelength he never deviates from

Justin Evens goes the early crow 

Who is everyones Fav caller?

Craig Rail at Mildura was as good as anyone

NZ racing needs to contract our best caller Matt Hill

Once again at Addington M Cross calls certain horses by the incorrect name , just listen to the replay of the race 10 on July 23rd

M Cross also mentioned in race 8 that Puzzled was off and around them when it clearly sat back

Sunday was a pleasure watching these replays due to Craig Rail adding such excitement to the race call for a placid Sunday meeting 

Thank technology for being able to trick my computer that i am situated in New Zealand and can view the TAB website with the New Zealand odds and tv coverage

Commentating i am sure is a hard gig..

The studio presenter repeats himself..

Addington commentator  must have backed all Dunn runners..

On Facebook , why is Nigel Armstrong on course doing interviews when it is well documented in New Zealand only essential staff are allowed on course and staff only?

On 7/28/2021 at 3:15 PM, menangle said:

NZ racing needs to contract our best caller Matt Hill

Once again at Addington M Cross calls certain horses by the incorrect name , just listen to the replay of the race 10 on July 23rd

M Cross also mentioned in race 8 that Puzzled was off and around them when it clearly sat back

Sunday was a pleasure watching these replays due to Craig Rail adding such excitement to the race call for a placid Sunday meeting 

Contract him for what?

2 hours ago, menangle said:

Thank technology for being able to trick my computer that i am situated in New Zealand and can view the TAB website with the New Zealand odds and tv coverage

Commentating i am sure is a hard gig..

The studio presenter repeats himself..

Addington commentator  must have backed all Dunn runners..

On Facebook , why is Nigel Armstrong on course doing interviews when it is well documented in New Zealand only essential staff are allowed on course and staff only?

Great he kept us informed about where the Dunn horses were and how they going. Several had form ,well backed and mostly thereabouts.

In view of the world today a studio presenter on repeat not the worst crime.

Multitasking Nigel definitely an essential part of Addington trots.....great to have him there !

Definitely a hard gig. Davey Mac had the distinction of calling all 3 codes.  In recent years I rate Mark McNamara the best and Tom Wood not too far off. Enjoyed a few years ago the late Darren Tyquin, very entertaining. 

16 minutes ago, diesel said:

Definitely a hard gig. Davey Mac had the distinction of calling all 3 codes.  In recent years I rate Mark McNamara the best and Tom Wood not too far off. Enjoyed a few years ago the late Darren Tyquin, very entertaining. 

And now they are both in Hong Kong doing the business and no doubt making some good $$$ without probably many reasons to return

I did meet the Addington race caller in Sydney previously, when he was on holiday with his partner at the time Ellie Barron

It is obvious now his new found love is K Newman, he seems to be the only driver can say

K Newman was one of our best drivers to grace a track here, i hope the NZ version follows in his famous namesakes footsteps

The commentator seems to be calling the correct horses tonight but the sectionals he quotes is different to what is shown in the graphics?