RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Dynamite

Race callers in New Zealand

NZ callers are far behind Australian

Aaron White- nic names, under the ribbon of light,chief david butcher, highway bend

Matthew Cross-calls horses incorrect names alot, love for Sheree Tomlinson and K T Newman

Justin Evans-love for michael House and Blair Orange, famous for going early crow, no sense of pace

Craig Rail-utter professional

Dave Mcdonald - a whole lot of interest, full bore 

5 hours ago, menangle said:

Aaron White- nic names, under the ribbon of light,chief david butcher, highway bend

Matthew Cross-calls horses incorrect names alot, love for Sheree Tomlinson and K T Newman

Justin Evans-love for michael House and Blair Orange, famous for going early crow, no sense of pace

Honoured you follow our races  Menangle.........from out in the bush I assume.

Some very good Aussie owners in Harness here ...they like the place !

Our horses still do all right in Aussie , our sports people doing very well .

We even ranked higher in World Cricket now...you used to send your B team to play us......we generally whip you in most endeavours.

Our politicians seem more honest , less noxious weeds and poison spiders and snakes.

Less weather extremes....better potatoes and apples !

Pleased to have you as our neighbours .

I'm quite happy with our commentators thanks , they get less practice than yours and recently I met a young Aussie over here learning the 'trade'. He seemed happy with NZ.

22 hours ago, menangle said:

Brilliant!! Aaron White has to fill in his time in somehow with the small fields under the ribbon of light. I do think Matt Cross is doing a good job for a young caller.

On 5/23/2021 at 7:52 PM, menangle said:

At least none of them sound like the buffoon from the book.

58 minutes ago, ivanthegreat said:

ALLLLLLLL dresssed up and nowhere to go

THE ICEMAN

THE REIDMAN

FERGY

THE ONE BY ONE

CAN SEE THEM ALL

MANGO

MORRIE MACK

DOGTOR LUK CHIN

There's plenty more that result in a clear ,accurate , interesting call of the races from Aaron White.

Paints the picture of the race very well IMO.

The city of Sails........starter Frank Phelan [ no need to ask who the starter is , unlike in South !]

The Chief ,the wizard , the magic man, jimmy Stormont.

Up on the nickel , this class of pony ,in the box seat !

In the jewels jacket ,in the breckon jacket , .

The lead up time ,the son of American Ideal , waiting on the HR FIsken passing lane.

Takes up the leeway ,tracks up the favourite , .

Goes up in the air , 

Deep on the passing lane , getting to the outside ,charging late , given full bore .

The lead up time , the back strait quarter. 

Names the sponsors , humanises the drivers /trainers and raises his voice at right time ,highlights when leader getting an easy lead time etc.

Field sizes often less than 10 so has the time to say all these things .....funny how the 'all dressed up and nowhere to go' irritates some but there are horses under lock and key , either 3 back or 4 back on fence in almost every race so the listener left in no doubt where their horse is !!!!

Does an EXCELLENT job IMO !

Over the ditch the commentators continue in disarray

Harness Jewels day Mr White called horses by the wrong  name more than once and also had his testicles above his ears when screaming when a  horse was running into the top 3

Mr Cross got so excited calling Miss Mucho home anyone would think he owned her and it was first time she come first

Bruce Sherwin has a calm voice for calling races just like Fred Hastings here 

Where is Mark McNarmara? He started his trade here on the country circuit and then NZ stole him like they did Phar Lap and the pavlova 

20 hours ago, mikenz said:

There are only so many jobs to go around,Davey Mac got a raw deal.

Nice bloke but inaccurate caller who tipped 5 in most races and had a poor strike rate. Rightfully gave southern job to younger caller who i think is rather good and only going to get better

11 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Nice bloke but inaccurate caller who tipped 5 in most races and had a poor strike rate. Rightfully gave southern job to younger caller who i think is rather good and only going to get better

Do you know of any race callers or radio or tv presenters who have given up their jobs because they got so rich by backing their selections?

41 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Do you know of any race callers or radio or tv presenters who have given up their jobs because they got so rich by backing their selections?

An irrelevant reply given we are specifically talking about Davy Mac who you must admit was a poor tipster. As for successful ones , if you were not aware for many years the authorities banned callers from punting which saw a number of them depart the scene although the rules were changed i believe at a later date. One very prominent caller had his own TAB window and squared up at the end of each day. 

Some of the commentators were very transparent about what they had invested on listening to their calls- 

22 hours ago, mikenz said:

There are only so many jobs to go around,Davey Mac got a raw deal.

Were you and previous poster Mr Big Stuff involved in contract negotiations with the named race callers ,or did you see their contracts ,performance  reviews etc. ?

How do you know about all this big stuff ? 

To me these callers have had careers in something they enjoy , have done it for some time and in some cases used the NZ experience as a stepping stone to further experiences !

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Their job description is "race caller", not "tipster". All commentators make it sound as if they know what they're talking about, after all they talk for a living, but I've yet to see one, and I can go back over half a century, that was any better as a tipster than your average moderately well informed race goer ... and most are a lot worse!

The bottom line is that if you're reliant on the commentators tips for your betting advice, you're in big trouble!

15 minutes ago, Flawed Genius said:

Their job description is "race caller", not "tipster". All commentators make it sound as if they know what they're talking about, after all they talk for a living, but I've yet to see one, and I can go back over half a century, that was any better as a tipster than your average moderately well informed race goer ... and most are a lot worse!

The bottom line is that if you're reliant on the commentators tips for your betting advice, you're in big trouble!

Agreed ........ my memory seems to recall that the callers started do picks in every race started about 20 years ago when Reon Murtha, Tony Lee , George S etc started giving picks on radio between 8am -9am race day and then live on TV about 1 hr before first race.

During stressful times like Cup Week in Christchurch I wondered how they could even find time to look at fields let alone do useful study to make selections.

The odd one prior eg Alan Bright had advantage of being a print journalist [from memory ?]

Going back to the pre-Trackside era the commentators had to be good at describing the race - there was no video to accompany their call. Now that the races can be seen live the commentary is pretty much just background noise ... the commentators can dribble on all they like ... we can see what we need to know with our own two eyes!

The commentators role since the inception of Trackside has evolved from that of a race caller to that of a betting stimulator!