RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tasman man

Great Vibe at Cambridge's Opening day on Synthetic track !

Congratulations to Cambridge CEO ,  committee and workers who organised the first meeting on the new synthetic track today.

Certain myths and doubts were dealt to on the opening day !

The 970m distances , predicted leaders bias , trainers doubt's were all thrown out as negatives but surely these were dispelled  on opening day!

The track performed brilliantly ,so soon after a power of trials and track work held and winners came from all over the track and the province !

Certainly the camber on the final bend a real plus. The width of the track seems adequate for fields of 12 ...no issue there !

The top trainers and jockeys in the North were out in force and perhaps the most telling endorsement came from the many in racing who now realise the huge benefits in having a consistent good racing surface when winter approaching and horses faced with different tracks every week.

Folk seem depressed with the heavy bottomless bogs which can pop up in winter.

Sure the facility has some way to go.......temporary toilets, little viewing areas etc but a real community feel to the day and a very positive start to a 'new' era in NZ racing.

Great that the horses  very close to those attending , in parade ring and the last 200m.

Well done Cambridge !

Just watched a couple of the races.

Reminded me a little of Wolverhampton over here rather than Lingfield or especially Newcastle with its straight 1600m.

Looked to me little or no kickback - I'm not certain of the surface. It looks like Tapeta but is it that Strathayr surface? 

When the UK got AW racing thirty years ago, the aim was to provide a safe and reliable surface all year round but primarily to keep racing going even in the worst of winter and bring money into the sport. The problem with all weather meetings is they have been lost to fog, high winds, snow, frost, excessive heat and waterlogging so not perhaps as reliable as you might think.

It was also initially meant to be second-level action through the winter to keep the show on the road but it's so much more than that now and to think a horse like ENABLE started on it shows how far AW has come in terms of quality.

1 hour ago, stodge said:

Just watched a couple of the races.

Reminded me a little of Wolverhampton over here rather than Lingfield or especially Newcastle with its straight 1600m.

Looked to me little or no kickback - I'm not certain of the surface. It looks like Tapeta but is it that Strathayr surface? 

When the UK got AW racing thirty years ago, the aim was to provide a safe and reliable surface all year round but primarily to keep racing going even in the worst of winter and bring money into the sport. The problem with all weather meetings is they have been lost to fog, high winds, snow, frost, excessive heat and waterlogging so not perhaps as reliable as you might think.

It was also initially meant to be second-level action through the winter to keep the show on the road but it's so much more than that now and to think a horse like ENABLE started on it shows how far AW has come in terms of quality.

Surface Polytrack Stodge , I thought it was pretty good . To be honest I thought it looked better than watching plodders come round bend and field going wide as they slog home week after week in winter    . I watched two races and liked the look of it., plenty chances off bend . Well done Cambridge JC 

It is pleasing to read the comments here.  As most racing journalists are funded by the Industry their comments lack that cutting edge that commenters to this blog bring.

Sounds to me like it is a hell of a lot better than I ever thought it would be.  That is GREAT.

I see elsewhere the doomsdayers on a smaller site are knocking it...some people are never happy..all I can say at least things are being tried to keep this industry alive...it seems far better than sloshing around 20 off the inside on a bog in the middle of winter...but hey thats just my opinion.

you blokes are kidding, especially the resident pollyanna tasman man , he'd find a positive in ivan milat or jack the ripper

if you think synthetic track racing is going to do anything other than provide second class racing for second class horses and save the odd washout you are delusional.

no one in their right mind bets on these goat tracks, look at the victorian joke tracks and you will see

funny how nsw doesnt embrace them , what happened to the acton track at canberra ?

synthetic tracks are a dead set absolute joke

put your money into PROMOTION of your racing .

and to think some on here bag jumps racing 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, pogo(aus) said:

you blokes are kidding, especially the resident pollyanna tasman man , he'd find a positive in ivan milat or jack the ripper

if you think synthetic track racing is going to do anything other than provide second class racing for second class horses and save the odd washout you are delusional.

no one in their right mind bets on these goat tracks, look at the victorian joke tracks and you will see

funny how nsw doesnt embrace them , what happened to the acton track at canberra ?

But who would seriously venture any money on some tracks here Mid winter , they are awful . It's not the saviour of racing in NZ but it went pretty good yesterday and racing was fine  . All weather in UK has saved  a few jumps trainers as they run the odd bumper race days cards there if weather causes extended  cancellations so the jumps horses get a run out pre festivals  .Why did they close Geelong and then rebuild one in Ballarat as replacement if they non starter in OZ . Ireland putting in another to go with Dundalk , Chantilly most iconic track in France has one , Deauville as well . These are big tracks .

Look at the form of some of those imports that clean up in OZ , a lot have all weather form in their career , Cross Counter started at Wolverhampton ., Godolphin truck their classic hopes to Chelmsford to an in house hit out each year .

nothing wrong with betting on a heavy 10 but be patient and wait and see what transpires

we have the benefit of years of experiencing these joke tracks and races , predominantly in bleak wet victoria where they exist to ensure some turnover rather than none .

the fact imported stayers clean up in oz has absolutely nothing to do with synthetic tracks, get serious, are you suggesting they grow a leg by running on these sufraces 😛

2 hours ago, pogo(aus) said:

nothing wrong with betting on a heavy 10 but be patient and wait and see what transpires

we have the benefit of years of experiencing these joke tracks and races , predominantly in bleak wet victoria where they exist to ensure some turnover rather than none .

the fact imported stayers clean up in oz has absolutely nothing to do with synthetic tracks, get serious, are you suggesting they grow a leg by running on these sufraces 😛

No you suggested second class races with second class horses, I merely pointed out a lot of group 1 winners come out all weather races  . . Some of the big players might get a run into a late two year old with promise so not all duffers , they wouldnt guts out a good one on a heavy 10 in May though . See how many the big guns race inexperienced slow to hand horses  up North on the AW  tracks making use of a good surface in Oct Nov Dec when in old days they would have missed out on the experience and been put away for winter  then have to chase the 8 ball early in new season .It is the class of race not the surface . 

I've been backing horses on all weather tracks for 30 plus years since  Lingfield racecourse first meeting on a surface called equitrack , I am experienced in doing my cash  in equal proportions whatever the surface  , a slow horse is a slow horse whatever the track . 

Mark Fraser-Campin deserves a massive pat on the back. Has gone into the CEO position at the Cambridge Jockey Club with passion,vision,and forward thinking

What he has achieved shouldnt be under rated. A place on the NZTR board for Mark would only be of benefit to the industry. He has skin in the game and knows how the game works.

As i say you cant teach or buy passion and Mark has plenty of it.

Sure it won't solve all problems but a track like this keeps horses in work who would normally be going for a spell and also creates another grade so to speak.

There will be horses who excel on this track that aren't much chop on the turf so it gives trainers,owners and horses more options.

Hats off to the industry for doing something new. You dont go forward by standing still. 

And the bitching about it being funded government money is a joke. Have a look and see what other things are government funded. This is at least funding an industry that employs thousands and stops us pumping more than another 3.3 billion into the benefit. Only need to look at Australia to see what a successful racing industry can return for a government.

We are a hard working bunch of tax paying battlers who deserve a bit of government assistance. The next challenge is bringing the younger generation into the sport as workers or fans.

Negative talk isnt going to help with that so lets keep it to a minimum.

over and out

58 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

No you suggested second class races with second class horses, I merely pointed out a lot of group 1 winners come out all weather races  . . Some of the big players might get a run into a late two year old with promise so not all duffers , they wouldnt guts out a good one on a heavy 10 in May though . See how many the big guns race inexperienced slow to hand horses  up North on the AW  tracks making use of a good surface in Oct Nov Dec when in old days they would have missed out on the experience and been put away for winter  then have to chase the 8 ball early in new season .It is the class of race not the surface . 

I've been backing horses on all weather tracks for 30 plus years since  Lingfield racecourse first meeting on a surface called equitrack , I am experienced in doing my cash  in equal proportions whatever the surface  , a slow horse is a slow horse whatever the track . 

Exactly. Good horses traditionally get turned out to avoid breaking them on heavy 10s, and start getting brought back in about July. Only trouble is then half of them couldn't get a good enough surface to gallop on often enough in their prep to even make it to their target races, eg Spring Carnival in Oz. This opens up the options for prep and conditioning considerably amongst other benefits. It won't magically solve all the problems but it's a great start. Well done to CJC for a successful first race day. 

funniest quote ever below

I merely pointed out a lot of group 1 winners come out all weather races

they might in the UK but the list of slugs coming out of synthetic tracks in (aus) is a mile long.

dud racing 100%

just wait boys time will tell.

7 minutes ago, pogo(aus) said:

they might in the UK but the list of slugs coming out of synthetic tracks in (aus) is a mile long.

dud racing 100%

Thanks pogo.....another aussie expert on NZ racing is much appreciated.....I mean you have been to NZ twice , so you well qualified.

The polytrack is one of the main training tracks at the huge Caulfield and Randwick training centres.

The main use of these in NZ is intended to be for training purposes...over 1000 horses are based in Cambridge....over 400 worked on the track yesterday morning  prior to race day. 170 horses raced in trials on the track the day prior.

NZ trainers who regularly 'perform ' in Aussie....eg Baker ,Pike,Richards ,Marsh,James support the track and will continue to excel there...bit like our cricketers who now have a decent surface to prepare on !!

These top horseman along with Aussies top jockey JM fully endorse it .

In addition to assist the prep of horses it will be used a few times...... I think 5 x planned days this year to take the pressure off other tracks in times of a bog or bad weather. Not only to keep betting ticking over but to return $ to industry participants like workers ,jockeys and owners !

Mid -week winter Industry days actually don't attract much betting so down side there very low .

But keep an eye on NZ racing scene......things must get a bit boring in Aussie ...plus a few negaholics here looking for some misery company 🙂

10 hours ago, pogo(aus) said:

Last I heard about you pogo was that they dragged you off to the NSW Home for the bewildered after Cronulla were thumped 48-0 recently !

That's sad .........great to hear another Aussie helping us save NZ racing.

I think John Messara did a fine job overall with his report ,so it great some of his ideas being implemented.

Possibly on your two visits to NZ you didnt pick up that midweek meetings in winter especially  are very low key ,and often bog tracks or costly to get too !

Folk with 'right minds' betting is cute coming from an Aussie when a Kiwi bets $80 per person while Aussies bet $220...hahaha.

One of the tracks I showed you was a bottomless bog recently and that was a Saturday in early May !

Few if any on here bag jumps racing ....there is just little betting , dwindling horse numbers and less than 20 jockeys.But it still on ,so my offer to take you to the Great Northern still open...better get over here in September.

But please get with the program...at least read the Messara report.

And good luck with the Sharkies.......I heard they were lucky to get ZERO.

Maybe some marketing and promotion would help !

twice LMFAO ..

last i heard of you,  you gave up on thoroughbreds and turned to the red hots

funny how you and most kiwis whinge about the state of your racing , i wonder why.......

dont panic an all weather track will fix things.

38 minutes ago, pogo(aus) said:

twice LMFAO ..

last i heard of you,  you gave up on thoroughbreds and turned to the red hots

funny how you and most kiwis whinge about the state of your racing , i wonder why.......

dont panic an all weather track will fix things.

Now you just being silly pogo.....

No one has suggested an all weather track will fix things !

ps....stick to what you know !🙂

23 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Surface Polytrack Stodge , I thought it was pretty good . To be honest I thought it looked better than watching plodders come round bend and field going wide as they slog home week after week in winter    . I watched two races and liked the look of it., plenty chances off bend . Well done Cambridge JC 

Okay - the split over here these days is between Polytrack and Tapeta and both seem well supported.

I thought there was very little kickback at Cambridge which wasn't always the case in the early Polytrack days at Lingfield.

It's worth remembering the track can be prepared for whatever is required - a normal harrow for what we call "Standard" but it can be harrowed deeper to emulate slower turf. This is often done for the Jumpers' Bumpers cards in the winter but can also happen in hot summer conditions as a way of keeping the worst of the heat off the track.

It's not unknown for "Standard to Slow" to be the description in summer or for the Jumpers' Bumpers meeting. I can count the number of times it's been called "Slow" on the figures of one hand.

It shouldn't be an issue for NZ but in the UK the track has to be constantly worked during periods of low temperatures - several degrees below freezing. Meetings have been lost to frost and snow especially but not exclusively at Wolverhampton and Newcastle.

8 hours ago, tasman man said:

Now you just being silly pogo.....

No one has suggested an all weather track will fix things !

ps....stick to what you know !🙂

silly ????

😂thats a bit rich TM , reading your posts with irrelevant drivel about an NRL footy side .

enjoy the vibe , enjoy your foray into the red hots, because like plenty youve got no idea on whats needed to fix a sport in NZ thats a shadow of what it once was.

it wouldnt matter if i was chinese, japanese, russian or an eskimo it wouldnt matter if i or any observer had been to NZ seventy times it;s clear synthetic track racing is a dud.

its got its place as a training aid enables clubs to race when they would otherwise be washed out, thats it.

do nothing about the biggger problem TM, just ignore the weeds in the garden 😜

enjoy the vibe or suffer in your jocks.🙄

18 minutes ago, pogo(aus) said:

silly ????

😂thats a bit rich TM , reading your posts with irrelevant drivel about an NRL footy side .

enjoy the vibe , enjoy your foray into the red hots, because like plenty youve got no idea on whats needed to fix a sport in NZ thats a shadow of what it once was.

it wouldnt matter if i was chinese, japanese, russian or an eskimo it wouldnt matter if i or any observer had been to NZ seventy times it;s clear synthetic track racing is a dud.

its got its place as a training aid enables clubs to race when they would otherwise be washed out, thats it.

do nothing about the biggger problem TM, just ignore the weeds in the garden 😜

enjoy the vibe or suffer in your jocks.🙄

Always a pleasure to talk pogo !

Except when you hurt my feelings !

I urge you to read the Messara report....he's an Aussie I find believable !

And I still got a bit of skin in the game.....actually shared in 4 x gallops wins since May 1 ,so talking from the 'inside'.

And I urge you to book for the Great Northern in September ,I will show you around ,possibly Harness the night before !

Come share the vibes ,get amongst it !

11 hours ago, pogo(aus) said:

dud racing 100%

If you did your research on All weather tracks better you would not talk of slugs . This year the iconic Australian race The Hotham was shifted to the poly at Ballarat,  without that switch the feast of speed would have been lost to the racing world for the year ,  those Hotham runners no slugs !!! 

red rum seriously mate this thread is getting ridiculous either that or youre a better p1sstaker than Zelda K

tell me one thing

if synthetic track racing is so good why isnt it the predominant racing surface ?

i re iterate synthetic track racing is for second rate slugs racing in winter to avoid washouts and ONLY to ensure some level of turnover and partcipation.

its a weed in racings beautiful garden.😝