RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Pegasus 9

Michael Walker

Surgeons have had to cut open the leg of jockey Michael Walker to relieve pressure following a nasty fall at Pakenham on Thursday night.

Speaking to Racing.com from his bed at Dandenong Hospital on Friday morning, Walker explained that his leg, which he broke in the fall, remains open in two places and will be closed with further surgery on Sunday.

"They've had to cut open my leg from the knee down on both sides as there was so much pressure," Walker said.

"They had to do it because if not there was a possibility the nerves in my leg could die, and then the leg could die and then who knows what happens, they may have had to amputate.

"I'm booked in to have surgery on Sunday and the leg will remain open until then."

A shattered Walker said he was also informed on Friday morning that he has torn his ACL in his knee, an injury that can keep footballers on the sidelines for up to 12 months.

"I can't believe it, it was one of the most harmless falls I've ever been involved in and could be the worst," Walker said.

"I knew straight away I was in trouble because the pain in my leg was excruciating. I knew it was broken straight away and the pressure build up was a bit scary.

"The break is one thing, I've dealt with broken bones before, but I'm shattered about the ACL.

"I gave permission for the doctors to explore if I had any more issues in my leg and then they found the issue with the ACL.

"I've got more tests and scans to come because I'm in a fair bit of pain, I've got an MRI on my neck and shoulders, I think it should be okay, they don't think it is anything serious outside of the leg at this point."

The fall occurred in the final race at Pakenham on Thursday night, with Walker crashing to the track approaching the home bend.

He said he can recall the incident and remembers shifting to avoid a horse who was tiring through the field.

"I could see the horse coming back quickly and I tried to pop off to avoid it but I had Ben Allen to my outside and he had a rider tight to his outside, there wasn't a lot of room and I was half a length in behind and then there was slight movement and I came down," he said.

Stewards took initial evidence from Allen (Heljami), Daniel Stackhouse (Divine Rule) and Teo Nugent (Classy Pins) at Pakenham on Thursday night but have adjourned their inquiry to a later date so they can allow time before speaking to Walker.

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

Surgeons have had to cut open the leg of jockey Michael Walker to relieve pressure following a nasty fall at Pakenham on Thursday night.

Speaking to Racing.com from his bed at Dandenong Hospital on Friday morning, Walker explained that his leg, which he broke in the fall, remains open in two places and will be closed with further surgery on Sunday.

"They've had to cut open my leg from the knee down on both sides as there was so much pressure," Walker said.

"They had to do it because if not there was a possibility the nerves in my leg could die, and then the leg could die and then who knows what happens, they may have had to amputate.

"I'm booked in to have surgery on Sunday and the leg will remain open until then."

A shattered Walker said he was also informed on Friday morning that he has torn his ACL in his knee, an injury that can keep footballers on the sidelines for up to 12 months.

"I can't believe it, it was one of the most harmless falls I've ever been involved in and could be the worst," Walker said.

"I knew straight away I was in trouble because the pain in my leg was excruciating. I knew it was broken straight away and the pressure build up was a bit scary.

"The break is one thing, I've dealt with broken bones before, but I'm shattered about the ACL.

"I gave permission for the doctors to explore if I had any more issues in my leg and then they found the issue with the ACL.

"I've got more tests and scans to come because I'm in a fair bit of pain, I've got an MRI on my neck and shoulders, I think it should be okay, they don't think it is anything serious outside of the leg at this point."

The fall occurred in the final race at Pakenham on Thursday night, with Walker crashing to the track approaching the home bend.

He said he can recall the incident and remembers shifting to avoid a horse who was tiring through the field.

"I could see the horse coming back quickly and I tried to pop off to avoid it but I had Ben Allen to my outside and he had a rider tight to his outside, there wasn't a lot of room and I was half a length in behind and then there was slight movement and I came down," he said.

Stewards took initial evidence from Allen (Heljami), Daniel Stackhouse (Divine Rule) and Teo Nugent (Classy Pins) at Pakenham on Thursday night but have adjourned their inquiry to a later date so they can allow time before speaking to Walker.

They earn their money the jockeys , best wishes to Michael,  always seems to give his rides every chance IMHO. One those jockeys I am always pleased to see get a win even if he has nosed out one of my bets .

Hopeless jockey. Sits on them three and four wide thinking he's on Black Caviar every time and when he wins a race he thinks he's God and that he is going to win every group 1 race in the land. Does not have a good report from his fellow jockey's and why Mick Price (one of Australia's leading trainers) as him as one of his stable jockey's is beyond belief. Don't come back Michael! or if you do ride at Waracknabeel or Casterton where you can get away with your riding antics. New Zealand's Tony Allan. 

1 minute ago, Zak Hussai said:

Hopeless jockey. Sits on them three and four wide thinking he's on Black Caviar every time and when he wins a race he thinks he's God and that he is going to win every group 1 race in the land. Does not have a good report from his fellow jockey's and why Mick Price (one of Australia's leading trainers) as him as one of his stable jockey's is beyond belief. Don't come back Michael! or if you do ride at Waracknabeel or Casterton where you can get away with your riding antics. New Zealand's Tony Allan. 

And what a nice ahole you are...let us critique what you do for a living and see how hopeless you are...I bet you would not have the guts to front up and tell him to his face...you are a typical keyboard warrior...who really irritate me.

1 minute ago, Zak Hussai said:

Told Mick to have Jamie Kah as his stable jockey. Do your job properly.  Am I allowed my opinion or not?

Of course you are but you can do it politely...not need to rubbish the guy.Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but no need to be rude about the guy thanks.

4 hours ago, Zak Hussai said:

talk about kick a man when he,s down.who the hell are you tosser.

Jockeys take their lives in their hands every day they go to work and I am always saddened if any of them get injured and there have a been a good many seriously so or worse over the years. That goes for track riders and stablehands too - anyone who works with horses is always in danger. The "grandstand jockeys" always talk through their pockets, people who've probably never ridden a horse at speed in their lives and have no appreciation of what it's like to be taking your chances with split second decisions that could have tragic consequences for you or someone else in a race. These are the people that would complain about a meeting being called off because there was a fall in the first race and the stewards had deemed the track too dangerous to continue. They don't think about the riders' safety.  Michael has had his fair share of challenges over the years both on and off the track but he's a top rider at his best and I hope he makes a full recovery.