RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Chris Wood

Alf Kneebone

Sad news this morning here in Cambridge, former Racing Scribe Alf Kneebone passed away peacefully overnight, aged 98.

An absolute gentleman, he was heavily involved back in the day, when we actually had racing scribes, not uncommon to have 10 or 12 up in the designated Press Box, and the papers were full of Racing Information, form, trackwork and a breakdown of the field

His legacy continues with Son Bernard doing the trackwork here at Cambridge and Tony is heavily involved in the Victorian scene.

RIP Alf.

I used to transcribe the trackwork from Alf when he rang it through to us at the Friday Flash back in the day (Tuesday and Thursday trackwork) and as you say Chris, a great scribe who knew his oats from his chaff and was an absolute gentleman.  That's a great photo from the Ellerslie press room and I have good memories of rubbing shoulders with several of those guys when they came south occasionally, usually at cup time.

RIP Alfie. You were one of nature's gentleman. My deepest sympathies to his family.