RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Blossom Lady

Ellerslie / Counties merger

I was at the members meeting last night and watched a very slick presentation from both clubs which convinced me that this partnership should proceed immediately.

The only objection came from some old grey haired blighter who was sad that it would see the demise of the Ellerslie Hill , move with the times grandad !! 

Racing in NZ will be the winner with hugely increased stakes and a fantastic facility 

Just now, Blossom Lady said:

I am not sure if I understand you , are you suggesting that they close Ellerslie completely ???

Well why not? I mean, heck how can decades of history compete with a "slick presentation"??? Those Microsoft Power Points do it for me every time. Or was it on Google Slides? Anyway, I bet they just oozed style and unproven progress. Hey, they'll never compete with the Hill for longevity, but who cares - he was only a silly old grey-haired bugger anyway. What do thousands of horses who have slogged their guts out over that land feature got to do with the future of racing? Why remember the men and women who have ridden, fallen, and risked life over that hill? Lets neglect the millions of man hours spent maintaining that lump of dirt. Someone showed a power point and some idiot with 5 minutes experience in the game got sucked in by it. I predict there'll be suave new presentation in a few years time to replace the "slick" one after it falls down one of those drains at the 800 mark.

Bulldozers start your engines.

38 minutes ago, THE TORCH said:

Well why not? I mean, heck how can decades of history compete with a "slick presentation"??? Those Microsoft Power Points do it for me every time. Or was it on Google Slides? Anyway, I bet they just oozed style and unproven progress. Hey, they'll never compete with the Hill for longevity, but who cares - he was only a silly old grey-haired bugger anyway. What do thousands of horses who have slogged their guts out over that land feature got to do with the future of racing? Why remember the men and women who have ridden, fallen, and risked life over that hill? Lets neglect the millions of man hours spent maintaining that lump of dirt. Someone showed a power point and some idiot with 5 minutes experience in the game got sucked in by it. I predict there'll be suave new presentation in a few years time to replace the "slick" one after it falls down one of those drains at the 800 mark.

Bulldozers start your engines.

Hold on let me think..................... a $300 million injection of cash into an industry that is struggling , minimum stakes of $100k per ace , 6 x $500k and 4 x $1M races each season , or are you one of the retards that believe that owners , trainers , administrators etc. can survive each year on  $10K maiden races each week ???

And if you have a real concern for jumps racing I would invite you to the bar at Ellerslie where the jumps jockeys manage to get themselves evicted each race day because of their tardy behavior , or , are you one of them ?? 

1 hour ago, THE TORCH said:

What do thousands of horses who have slogged their guts out over that land feature got to do with the future of racing? Why remember the men and women who have ridden, fallen, and risked life over that hill? 

I tell you what TORCH , I have been to Ellerslie about 5 times in my life , and I reckon all 5 times, KEN BROWNE won a race (or two) going over that hill !! wonderful. whata horseman !

Etched in mind forever whether they take it away or not. What a feature of the planet. Is a shame to lose it, but that's progress for ya. 

41 minutes ago, Pure Steel said:

I tell you what TORCH , I have been to Ellerslie about 5 times in my life , and I reckon all 5 times, KEN BROWNE won a race (or two) going over that hill !! wonderful. whata horseman !

Etched in mind forever whether they take it away or not. What a feature of the planet. Is a shame to lose it, but that's progress for ya. 

And simple economics ..........

1 hour ago, Blossom Lady said:

Hold on let me think..................... a $300 million injection of cash into an industry that is struggling , minimum stakes of $100k per ace , 6 x $500k and 4 x $1M races each season , or are you one of the retards that believe that owners , trainers , administrators etc. can survive each year on  $10K maiden races each week ???

And if you have a real concern for jumps racing I would invite you to the bar at Ellerslie where the jumps jockeys manage to get themselves evicted each race day because of their tardy behavior , or , are you one of them ?? 

So you are saying 100k minimum per race   , so maidens will be running for 100k at Ellerslie , when does this start ? , that's decent pot for maiden . I don't think even in Japan the maidens run for 100k , it's not much more if they do . 

4 hours ago, Blossom Lady said:

$100k maiden races 😂😂😂😂😂😳 Please youre having a massive laugh there. What about the rest of NZ? Remember theyre doing this fir the whole industry.....apparently.....yeah right, just another Tui ad. But you keep believing in that slick presentation wont you??!

4 hours ago, Blossom Lady said:

As for the drunk jumps jocks remember theyve just rusked life and limb while youre preaching about yuppy presentations. Much rather a few jumps jocks having a beer than what some of the flat jockeys get up to 😳🙄

55 minutes ago, THE TORCH said:

$100k maiden races 😂😂😂😂😂😳 Please youre having a massive laugh there. What about the rest of NZ? Remember theyre doing this fir the whole industry.....apparently.....yeah right, just another Tui ad. But you keep believing in that slick presentation wont you??!

The talk is not for $100k maidens but an average  of $100k per race , up from the $69 k of now.

Very roughly , with the new strathayr track which will not cater for jumps racing [ NZ Herald today ] there could be 35 to 40 meetings per year , say 8 run under another Northern club .

Say 30 ATC [ not trotting club] meeting averaging $100k per race ........ie $800 k to $900k per meeting .

Stakes needed close to $27 mill per year.....currently about 20 meetings per year ......160 races approx [ the hill used in about 6-8 ].....$10 mill stakes

Its an ambitious plan but hopefully no attempt to match the other ATC [ Trotting] and build apartments.

A well run business with ,strong leases and investments in place ,following land sales.

Better/modern training facility at Pukekohe.

What could  possibly go wrong ?

11 minutes ago, tasman man said:

The talk is not for $100k maidens but an average  of $100k per race , up from the $69 k of now.

Very roughly , with the new strathayr track which will not cater for jumps racing [ NZ Herald today ] there could be 35 to 40 meetings per year , say 8 run under another Northern club .

Say 30 ATC [ not trotting club] meeting averaging $100k per race ........ie $800 k to $900k per meeting .

Stakes needed close to $27 mill per year.....currently about 20 meetings per year ......160 races approx [ the hill used in about 6-8 ].....$10 mill stakes

Its an ambitious plan but hopefully no attempt to match the other ATC [ Trotting] and build apartments.

A well run business with ,strong leases and investments in place ,following land sales.

Average stakes a lot different to the post on here saying minimum  stake 100k . Average stake in UK flat now 19k Pounds but majority horses running for 2 to 5 k per race.  At least  Ellerslie have a plan to be fair .

All that sacred Ellerslie Hill soil could be dug up and transported to Avondale or Te Aroha and lets make a new hill with the old hill ...

I have an absolute love of the Hill and Steeplechase and Hurdle racing but if we are going to get a world class Strathayr track in and with Ellerslie to race at around 40x a year then , as it should have been years ago, then sorry Hill.

This is where Te Aroha and Te Rapa jumps racing come into their own.

There will still be jumps racing in NZ !!!

There will always be jumps racing in NZ.

7 hours ago, Blossom Lady said:

It is my understanding that Avondale want to go it alone ?

At the last AJC member's meeting they were all set to be on board, it was almost presented as fait accompli.   They  were really pushing for it and were in discussions. That was just before Christmas.  

9 hours ago, Mr Spyro said:

At the last AJC member's meeting they were all set to be on board, it was almost presented as fait accompli.   They  were really pushing for it and were in discussions. That was just before Christmas.  

Not quite how I remember the meeting MS. My take was that AJC was keen to "work with" but not "combine with" Ellerslie and Counties. i.e. retain some autonomy and control of their prospective financial windfall after a wind-down of Avondale operations over the next 3-4 years.

18 hours ago, Red Rum said:

So you are saying 100k minimum per race   , so maidens will be running for 100k at Ellerslie , when does this start ? , that's decent pot for maiden . I don't think even in Japan the maidens run for 100k , it's not much more if they do . 

Exciting times for season 2023/2024 , the ARC will race at Puke in 22/23 until the new track/ stakes come into play on 1st August 2023

15 hours ago, THE TORCH said:

As for the drunk jumps jocks remember theyve just rusked life and limb while youre preaching about yuppy presentations. Much rather a few jumps jocks having a beer than what some of the flat jockeys get up to 😳🙄

I have just worked out who you are and will now expose you ............. JAN SKINNER ............ the left leaning mate of Helen Clark , another one who's head is buried in the Avondale sand

14 hours ago, tasman man said:

It appears at first hand you applaud the work that these two clubs are doing for the betterment of the sport , well done you !!