RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Blossom Lady

Ellerslie / Counties merger

On 5/14/2021 at 10:52 AM, tasman man said:

Well put Nerula.....no need to apologise to the naysayers who are probing for threads of negativity to hang on to.

As you rightly point out those who don't know the issues do not advance the discussion.....the various Boards have a thorough understanding of what needed to progress the amalgamation which should assist both clubs ,the region and racing overall.Its well researched ,but still some crucial bridges to cross ...IMO

Firstly ,both clubs members need to agree . The land sales need to be advanced and settled . NZ Racing will need to agree and sort out the racing calendar while work being completed .

Once sales complete the 'nest egg' will need to go to work ensuring the annual income can finance the infrastructure plans plus the proposed stakes increases.

As well as protecting capital , leases and rentals will all need to be established.

Return on investment funds can be volatile ,especially at these uncertain times but current and historical trends are good guide .....

These will be crucial to sustain stake targets.

And of course NZ Racing will need to support the discussed extra meetings to be held in the region.

IMO a very positive move to future proof NZ racing......only folk who should be worried ,possibly the odd club who may lose a race date or two but things were probably heading that way anyway.

I think the collaboration is a crucial element. The individual clubs could do their own thing with far greater risks involved and less chance of success. !

NZ Racing can't sustain itself by relying on TAB betting and distributions. This new business being created can support it and run and improve Racing at the same time.

Not sure how long you have been involved in the Racing industry @tasman manbut we well recall the old entrances that were a great character of Ellerslie Racecourse.

We also recall what happened and know first hand that those associated with the land purchase and development of Ascot Hospital were put through hoops to get their hands on that Reserve land.

We also know that the sale of the Racecourse Reserve land which is now covered in Concrete jungle offices were short-term stupid solutions to get the Auckland Racing Club out of debt they put themselves into.

Has this Club to this day still not learnt lessons from the past?
Selling off land is only a short-term solution, if the Club is still being advised by 'Accountants" to sell Racecourse Reserve land, which incidentally belongs to "The Corporation and it's people", the industry is doomed to failure in Cities.

Selling land is not the solution to Racings situation, one needs to look where short term quick fix solutions have screwed up the industry.

@Nerula, we understand you have a personal interest in Property development, is that correct?

Meomy, I no longer have an interest in property development but I am well aware of that game.

With regards to the Ellerslie development opportunities, if the club wanted to maximise the potential of the Hill it would be sold into residential. In that case leasehold is out of the question. Even Glasgow 100 year type ones. You know why!

In my opinion the land under Ascot Medical and the hotel should never have been sold.There was a big gazump then! Likewise the non residential Pukekohe land should not be sold. The club to be amalgamated should undertake the development even if they have to co-opt members like John Murdoch who know the development game inside out. Apart from Daniel Nahkle (who knows the game) who has Ellerslie got?

The problem with the Club committee situation is too many suits from the CBD, who are skimmers not creators. They took the place of people like Bob Ross, Tom Clark etc. Exception now are people like the Mansons who know how to put a deal together then a building on time, on budget.

Its not the fault of the suits they dont know the development game. Its the members that voted them in.

Bob Jones says "All developers go broke" (eventually).  Not true!

3 hours ago, meomy said:

Not sure how long you have been involved in the Racing industry @tasman manbut we well recall the old entrances that were a great character of Ellerslie Racecourse.

We also recall what happened and know first hand that those associated with the land purchase and development of Ascot Hospital were put through hoops to get their hands on that Reserve land.

We also know that the sale of the Racecourse Reserve land which is now covered in Concrete jungle offices were short-term stupid solutions to get the Auckland Racing Club out of debt they put themselves into.

Has this Club to this day still not learnt lessons from the past?
Selling off land is only a short-term solution, if the Club is still being advised by 'Accountants" to sell Racecourse Reserve land, which incidentally belongs to "The Corporation and it's people", the industry is doomed to failure in Cities.

Selling land is not the solution to Racings situation, one needs to look where short term quick fix solutions have screwed up the industry.

@Nerula, we understand you have a personal interest in Property development, is that correct?

Well Meomy........I wonder how long you been involved in Racing Industry ?

You certainly can drag up the old newspaper clippings from early last century .....unsure of their relevance ,this is 2021 and much has changed .

Obviously with your great memory ,knowledge and experience and love of Auckland and its racecourses you must be a member of these Clubs and involved in the decision making thru attending AGM's etc.

Surely...yes /no.... if not ,why not?

As to me....I'm a South Islander, been in racing since I was a foetus .Used  toenjoy the period of South Island dominance in NZ Racing .Always wondered why you guys ran the wrong way around. Some neighbours used to pop up  North and win your main races from time to time.

And as I got more involved enjoyed some good success up here as well !...as I did in sport , thats what us southern country lads did to you city slickers in the flash tracksuits.

While you sat around discussing 120 years ago ....we played what was in front of us !

Sadly I stood on sideline and witnessed the decline of Southern racing but now look forward to the Northern clubs amalgamation.....IMO a necessary move to sustain racing into the future by incresing stakes significantly to retain Owners/jobs in the Industry.

Tell us what you would do ??????

Tell us what you gonna do ,as a member of the Clubs involved ??

PS...So glad land was sold to Ascot Hospital....brilliant facility !

On 7/29/2021 at 5:22 PM, tasman man said:

Well Meomy........I wonder how long you been involved in Racing Industry ?

You certainly can drag up the old newspaper clippings from early last century .....unsure of their relevance ,this is 2021 and much has changed .

Obviously with your great memory ,knowledge and experience and love of Auckland and its racecourses you must be a member of these Clubs and involved in the decision making thru attending AGM's etc.

Surely...yes /no.... if not ,why not?

As to me....I'm a South Islander, been in racing since I was a foetus .Used  toenjoy the period of South Island dominance in NZ Racing .Always wondered why you guys ran the wrong way around. Some neighbours used to pop up  North and win your main races from time to time.

And as I got more involved enjoyed some good success up here as well !...as I did in sport , thats what us southern country lads did to you city slickers in the flash tracksuits.

While you sat around discussing 120 years ago ....we played what was in front of us !

Sadly I stood on sideline and witnessed the decline of Southern racing but now look forward to the Northern clubs amalgamation.....IMO a necessary move to sustain racing into the future by incresing stakes significantly to retain Owners/jobs in the Industry.

Tell us what you would do ??????

Tell us what you gonna do ,as a member of the Clubs involved ??

PS...So glad land was sold to Ascot Hospital....brilliant facility !

This post also relates to The Sale of Ellerslie Racecourse Land and Ellerslie Racecourse Hill used by the people of New Zealand for Recreational purposes

Anyone who has lived in New Zealand over the last 30 years knows that mergers create huge disruption and inequality, ruin Quality of Life and structure.

Look at Fonterra,  the merger of various small Borough Councils in Auckland, e.g. used to be Ellerlsie, Onehunga, Mt Eden, Devonport, Glenfield, One Tree Hill, Newmarket Borough Councils where people knew each other locally and at their local Council without the bloat and lack of accountability that has come about from the creation of Auckland Super City..

Those little Borough Councils, of which Pukekohe and Ellerslie were not a part of the now MERGERED Auckland Council control.

Do you really want to see Ellerlsie  and Counties Racecourse, or any others for that matter, covered in "Cabbage Trees" and be kicked off them by Auckland Council?

You need to look to see if the correct Land Rates are been paid for starters, it's a mix of Commercial and Community Recreational use by Race-clubs and others in the community.

If Race Clubs are paying incorrect Land Rates they need to ask questions as to why and when and who created these issues and address them.

Familiarize yourselves with what has happened and the loss of Access to Auckland Volcanic Domains and the kicking off the Farmers and their cattle, Scouts, Tennis & Archery clubs, etc the ripping out of Flowers, smashing up and destroying features we all used to use, etc which are a key attraction and part of what makes Pubic Domains,  including Racecourse Reserves what they were created for before you jump to changes. Those related to Racing industries are all part of the Circular Economy that some in positions of Governance fail to comprehend are jobs and contribute

We are only too aware of what has happened, without accountability due to Snowball effects of those associated with Co - Governance arrangements with Council that has destroyed Local Communities and that of Quality of Enjoyment in our Leisure activities.

Instead of Merging, why not go through the appropriate processes and share each others Databases with those on them Consent and use those lists as tools for Promotions within the community to attract people to the Races and Racecourses for leisure.

BTW, Deloitte merged and took over Arthur Andersen Accountants...join the dots who doesn't give a toss about the People and their Quality of Enjoyment of Life.

Hold those accountants involved who keep filling their pockets with reckless regards to others, to accountability