Berri

Not cricket

Recommended Posts

I don't know about you mob but Melody Belle has been an amasing mare. She's done everything asked of her, may not be as good as everyone in NZ thinks but she's been a truly good racehorse for years. She's retiring but started in the Hollindale as her swansong race. But seriously pissed me off when I found that her feet has been bogged up for the race and trainer said she was vulnerable because he was having problems with her feet.

Fortunna, take a smack you greedy buggers. You are what is wrong with the industry, if you think it's smart, caring, intelligent and honorable, to try and squeeze one more pay check out of your mare. 

I don't care what people think about what I am saying as I don't normally critisize the check payers in the industry but this is wrong. You should be saying what can I do for my horse instead of what can my horse do for me. Take the smack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always believed that the people who own the horse and take the risks get to make the decisions, and not the casual observers. Obviously being owned by a syndicate they want to get whatever return they can out of her, and they don't get to share in any residual benefits once she starts breeding.

She may be a good NZ group one horse, but she isn't up to genuine Aussie Group One class. I was astounded she was only paying 6s yesterday as I gave her no chance from that draw and on those track conditions. I am always amazed how the Aussie commentators hype her up, purely on the basis of her winning all those weak NZ Group Ones.

My memory isn't all that great, but I don't think she has had to tough it out very often in her NZ races, which you usually have to do in Aussie. And she has never had much luck with barrier draws over there so she has needed to be tough or always make runs from the back.

On the subject of toughness, what about the SA Derby winner yesterday, three wide the trip and won easily.

And back to MB, her sale price might be interesting. Anything over $2m will be a good price, although I suspect some casual observers expect her to fetch much more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree with you Not Cricket. I did not realise this about her feet yesterday. Surely she has done enough for her group of owners.Like you say why are they continuing to race her. I think she is showing she has had enough and wants to be a Mum. It is bad enough she will probably be lost to New Zealand as a broodmare and it is just so sad for us Melody Belle fans. Let’s hope she ends up at a lovely stud where she can enjoy the retirement she has well and truly earned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many out there with troubled feet, quite a few can't pick them up fast enough, interesting the would risk her if not 100% right, and why would you if she wasn't, who knows whether she wants to be a mum, be no choice in that one, more interesting will be her progeny if she gets in foal and secondly, how they preform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

Not sure if she was not right they would run her again...I think you would have to say she has been extremely well managed throughout her career...JMO.

Absolutely. !!  You don't win Group 1's without having a good management team, and with Multiple Group 1's the Melody Belle 'team' must be TOP NOTCH alright.

The 'team' is usually consisting of the strapper, track-work rider, farrier, vet, trainer's right hand foreman, and the stable racing director.

((syndicate owners just pay fees and collect stakes and photos) not much say when and where horses race.

Melody Belle won a Group 1 at Flemington too, in grand style, a year or 2 back so is quite a valuable mare. Am sure the connections team , would not be running her if there was any major health issues. A lot of horses have niggling hoof problems unfortunately, but the people with Melody Belle would definitely know if she is able to race or not with that infliction. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Berri said:

I don't know about you mob but Melody Belle has been an amasing mare. She's done everything asked of her, may not be as good as everyone in NZ thinks but she's been a truly good racehorse for years. She's retiring but started in the Hollindale as her swansong race. But seriously pissed me off when I found that her feet has been bogged up for the race and trainer said she was vulnerable because he was having problems with her feet.

Fortunna, take a smack you greedy buggers. You are what is wrong with the industry, if you think it's smart, caring, intelligent and honorable, to try and squeeze one more pay check out of your mare. 

I don't care what people think about what I am saying as I don't normally critisize the check payers in the industry but this is wrong. You should be saying what can I do for my horse instead of what can my horse do for me. Take the smack.

I guess I'm one of the mob Berri refers to.......I ain't seen ,met or heard the 'everyone' who thinks she over good.

In fact most say and write she is not as good as Winx or Sunline but as Berri said she has been an amazing mare ,truly good for about 5 full seasons and established herself as one of NZ's greats ........at least twice Horse of Year ,14 x Group 1's and has beaten Sunlines record on the way to wins from 900 to 2040m.

She has raced extensively ,not scared to take on good opposition on both sides of Tasman.....she has thrown in a few shockers at times but bounces back and has only raced about 40 x times.She has been well managed.

Berri must be close to the action as he claims to have knowledge of  bogged up feet , but not close enough to use the trainer or managing owners names.

Plus he states the Hollindale as her swansong when for weeks it has been reported that the Doomben Cup was her final race.

In several reports after final trial and in past week the plan was revealed.

Maybe Berri's post is a dig at Te Akau, Richards and JGalvin and the bogged up feet ,not worth noting or untrue ?

The horse has been well managed.....I think she has over 30 owners who would share in decision making by way of democratic vote .The trainer , Jamie Richards  several times has stated that she not at peak for yesterday and would improve for her last start prior to sale.

Funny how Kiwis long for the days when our top horses raced regularly in NZ ,  cos top horses create interest etc ,yet this 'champion' along with others such as Sir Slick and Show Gate attract criticism for their owners......over raced , entered in wrong races ,wrong distance etc

If Melody Belle was to be questioned ,I thought it would be her 2400m start recently......an untried and possibly unsuitable distance ,especially at highest level.

The Owners obviously had a 'vision' and as with Sir Slick and Showgates , they have every right .........hardly greed. 

Back in the good old days there were Melbourne Cup winners who went back to the well for whatever reason ,Berri might remember.

Van Der Hum won the MC ,then had a bit of time off but never won another race for 3 or 4 years ,then was turned to hurdling and then the steeples and was racing when 12 yr old !

Then there was Brew....won MC ...Berri may remember.....was tried a couple more preparations , one after a year off. Didnt fire ,but was then sent out to work as a police  horse ,to earn a living !

A friend of a friend told me that !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tasman man said:

I guess I'm one of the mob Berri refers to.......I ain't seen ,met or heard the 'everyone' who thinks she over good.

In fact most say and write she is not as good as Winx or Sunline but as Berri said she has been an amazing mare ,truly good for about 5 full seasons and established herself as one of NZ's greats ........at least twice Horse of Year ,14 x Group 1's and has beaten Sunlines record on the way to wins from 900 to 2040m.

She has raced extensively ,not scared to take on good opposition on both sides of Tasman.....she has thrown in a few shockers at times but bounces back and has only raced about 40 x times.She has been well managed.

Berri must be close to the action as he claims to have knowledge of  bogged up feet , but not close enough to use the trainer or managing owners names.

Plus he states the Hollindale as her swansong when for weeks it has been reported that the Doomben Cup was her final race.

In several reports after final trial and in past week the plan was revealed.

Maybe Berri's post is a dig at Te Akau, Richards and JGalvin and the bogged up feet ,not worth noting or untrue ?

The horse has been well managed.....I think she has over 30 owners who would share in decision making by way of democratic vote .The trainer , Jamie Richards  several times has stated that she not at peak for yesterday and would improve for her last start prior to sale.

Funny how Kiwis long for the days when our top horses raced regularly in NZ ,  cos top horses create interest etc ,yet this 'champion' along with others such as Sir Slick and Show Gate attract criticism for their owners......over raced , entered in wrong races ,wrong distance etc

If Melody Belle was to be questioned ,I thought it would be her 2400m start recently......an untried and possibly unsuitable distance ,especially at highest level.

The Owners obviously had a 'vision' and as with Sir Slick and Showgates , they have every right .........hardly greed. 

Back in the good old days there were Melbourne Cup winners who went back to the well for whatever reason ,Berri might remember.

Van Der Hum won the MC ,then had a bit of time off but never won another race for 3 or 4 years ,then was turned to hurdling and then the steeples and was racing when 12 yr old !

Then there was Brew....won MC ...Berri may remember.....was tried a couple more preparations , one after a year off. Didnt fire ,but was then sent out to work as a police  horse ,to earn a living !

A friend of a friend told me that !

Brew was sacked from Police Academy and was sent off packing  , didn't work operationally . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all  there good  horses  get flogged in 

7 hours ago, tasman man said:

I guess I'm one of the mob Berri refers to.......I ain't seen ,met or heard the 'everyone' who thinks she over good.

In fact most say and write she is not as good as Winx or Sunline but as Berri said she has been an amazing mare ,truly good for about 5 full seasons and established herself as one of NZ's greats ........at least twice Horse of Year ,14 x Group 1's and has beaten Sunlines record on the way to wins from 900 to 2040m.

She has raced extensively ,not scared to take on good opposition on both sides of Tasman.....she has thrown in a few shockers at times but bounces back and has only raced about 40 x times.She has been well managed.

Berri must be close to the action as he claims to have knowledge of  bogged up feet , but not close enough to use the trainer or managing owners names.

Plus he states the Hollindale as her swansong when for weeks it has been reported that the Doomben Cup was her final race.

In several reports after final trial and in past week the plan was revealed.

Maybe Berri's post is a dig at Te Akau, Richards and JGalvin and the bogged up feet ,not worth noting or untrue ?

The horse has been well managed.....I think she has over 30 owners who would share in decision making by way of democratic vote .The trainer , Jamie Richards  several times has stated that she not at peak for yesterday and would improve for her last start prior to sale.

Funny how Kiwis long for the days when our top horses raced regularly in NZ ,  cos top horses create interest etc ,yet this 'champion' along with others such as Sir Slick and Show Gate attract criticism for their owners......over raced , entered in wrong races ,wrong distance etc

If Melody Belle was to be questioned ,I thought it would be her 2400m start recently......an untried and possibly unsuitable distance ,especially at highest level.

The Owners obviously had a 'vision' and as with Sir Slick and Showgates , they have every right .........hardly greed. 

Back in the good old days there were Melbourne Cup winners who went back to the well for whatever reason ,Berri might remember.

Van Der Hum won the MC ,then had a bit of time off but never won another race for 3 or 4 years ,then was turned to hurdling and then the steeples and was racing when 12 yr old !

Then there was Brew....won MC ...Berri may remember.....was tried a couple more preparations , one after a year off. Didnt fire ,but was then sent out to work as a police  horse ,to earn a living !

A friend of a friend told me that !

its  more than  greed with  the big chiefs  of this   horse  and i not talking about , jamie  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, dellajaz_ said:

all  there good  horses  get flogged in 

its  more than  greed with  the big chiefs  of this   horse  and i not talking about , jamie  

Are the bulk of the syndicate in any other horses? You would imagine they have done so well they would go again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, barryb said:

10 secs of a google search would have given you the answer.

Her gear was listed as: Blinkers, Synthetic hoof filler.

 

 

Thanks for the help big barry.

With 3000 horses racing on the day ,it would take most of day to google every horse for 10 secs !

My selections for the race were 2 & 11 ,in what was a very good Group 2 race.

I'd read write ups on the race in recent weeks and MB's trainer [JRichards] had stated after its trial and once the field out that he thought the horse would 'need and improve' with the race ,in preparation for the final swansong in Doomben Cup prior to the auction.

Considering the horse lost a shoe during race and got bumped off stride at 200 she pretty much performed as trainer predicted.

I think this thread is mischievous.

It gives the green eyed monsters an opportunity to attack the stable , the manager and the syndicate which owns the mare.

Jealousy is a terrible trait !

14 Group 1's including 1 in Melbourne ,been well managed in a very big stable.......what a good positive story

Inexpensive purchase , good southern lad as trainer , and over 30 people get to enjoy the ownership thrills and spills !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tasman man said:

I guess I'm one of the mob Berri refers to.......I ain't seen ,met or heard the 'everyone' who thinks she over good.

In fact most say and write she is not as good as Winx or Sunline but as Berri said she has been an amazing mare ,truly good for about 5 full seasons and established herself as one of NZ's greats ........at least twice Horse of Year ,14 x Group 1's and has beaten Sunlines record on the way to wins from 900 to 2040m.

She has raced extensively ,not scared to take on good opposition on both sides of Tasman.....she has thrown in a few shockers at times but bounces back and has only raced about 40 x times.She has been well managed.

Berri must be close to the action as he claims to have knowledge of  bogged up feet , but not close enough to use the trainer or managing owners names.

Plus he states the Hollindale as her swansong when for weeks it has been reported that the Doomben Cup was her final race.

In several reports after final trial and in past week the plan was revealed.

Maybe Berri's post is a dig at Te Akau, Richards and JGalvin and the bogged up feet ,not worth noting or untrue ?

The horse has been well managed.....I think she has over 30 owners who would share in decision making by way of democratic vote .The trainer , Jamie Richards  several times has stated that she not at peak for yesterday and would improve for her last start prior to sale.

Funny how Kiwis long for the days when our top horses raced regularly in NZ ,  cos top horses create interest etc ,yet this 'champion' along with others such as Sir Slick and Show Gate attract criticism for their owners......over raced , entered in wrong races ,wrong distance etc

If Melody Belle was to be questioned ,I thought it would be her 2400m start recently......an untried and possibly unsuitable distance ,especially at highest level.

The Owners obviously had a 'vision' and as with Sir Slick and Showgates , they have every right .........hardly greed. 

Back in the good old days there were Melbourne Cup winners who went back to the well for whatever reason ,Berri might remember.

Van Der Hum won the MC ,then had a bit of time off but never won another race for 3 or 4 years ,then was turned to hurdling and then the steeples and was racing when 12 yr old !

Then there was Brew....won MC ...Berri may remember.....was tried a couple more preparations , one after a year off. Didnt fire ,but was then sent out to work as a police  horse ,to earn a living !

A friend of a friend told me that !

I didn't make a dig at anyone in particular because I don't know who made the decisions. If I did, then I would have made a dig at them.

Brew slightly hurt himself, enough to have put him out of action. When he came back after a long spell, he was in the process of re-injuring himself again and it was decided to retire him as he had done us the best job we could ever have expected. Do what's best for your horse, not what's best for you. We did not inject his joints or fill his hooves up with bog. He was sound and loved being ridden so someone suggested he would make a great Victorian mounted police horse and would be a great advertisement for the life after racing horse brigade. Subzero went down this path. Great PR for racing. Unfortunately during a period of unrest during one evening of Mebournites entertaining themselves like only Aussies can do, the racehorse brain came out of the closet. He has summarily retired as a police horse. He is now living at the Living Legends farm and is doted on by many. He regularly does VIP appearances in Melbourne.

Another horse I part owned called Precedence, is now a champion show horse. He had 4 starts in the Melbourne Cup for a 5th, 7th, 9th and a miss. He also wasn't joint injected or had his feet bogged up.

What I am saying is that MB is a broodmare and should be getting ready to have babies, has done everything asked of her, has started in 5 seasons of racing, and here she is racing with bog in her feet trying to win yet another race, performing under par prior to being sold. You think that's OK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Berri I read quite a serious criticism...quite personal.

As you mix among these folk...some of the elite ...probably your neighbours too  ,I thought it odd to insinuate a number of things.

You called the syndicator a greedy bugger...and added "you are what is wrong with this industry if ...."

That is quite strong.

I have an opinion too but if I had limited facts ,some clearly wrong, and the people involved were my 'neighbours' i wouldn't let loose on social media.

It's horse racing .

I'm glad the Brew reference wound you up...what a story.

And Precedence I'm aware how proud you were of his resilience.......a story of flowers , but if I entered your garden of flowers trampled on them to point out the weeds I could ask why you persisted to race in that gruelling race which has proved the downfall of so many poor horses.You could have won many 'lesser' races with him to boost his confidence .

The other thread of yours which was memorable ,was the one about there not being enough availability of Champagne at Ellerslie  !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Doomben Cup is shaping up as being pretty hot , she has been an absolute star and to keep going so long is truly superb but she is a long shot to knock over Zaaki or any of those in form horses .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

That Doomben Cup is shaping up as being pretty hot , she has been an absolute star and to keep going so long is truly superb but she is a long shot to knock over Zaaki or any of those in form horses .

That Zaaki was pretty impressive but MB could be at very useful odds for the believers! Probably a risky play if they want to protect her Sale price but isn't all racing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

That Zaaki was pretty impressive but MB could be at very useful odds for the believers! Probably a risky play if they want to protect her Sale price but isn't all racing.

14s and 4.50 MB , I wouldn't back her at double that to be honest .50s more what I want  in these circumstances . That's tight arse odds from Ladbrokes,  rather have an ew go on Avilius at 13s . If most that field quoted by Ladbrokes front up it will be a cracker .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bookies must just love Avilius. I was tempted to quinella it with # 1 on Saturday but found four others I liked better. I think he’s at the stage where he does just enough to get an oat at the end of the day 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Memphis3 said:

The bookies must just love Avilius. I was tempted to quinella it with # 1 on Saturday but found four others I liked better. I think he’s at the stage where he does just enough to get an oat at the end of the day 

I love the horse , he's a cracker but he sucks me in a bit but 2000 his go  , I am about level over the years with him . His mate Kemantari that's a different matter , now he must be sponsored by Ladbrokes , the hole iam in with him   I am never gonna get out of .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.