RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
swampfox

tylers

The thing I found interesting was only two horses from Wingatui at Riverton yesterday. It is only about 2.5 hours to travel, perhaps a little more. Are there just very few horses in training at Wingatui any more or don't they like travelling? Wingatui is one of the favoured tracks in the new regime with lots of meetings and often premium stakes, and yet they don't really support their southern neighbours.

6 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

The thing I found interesting was only two horses from Wingatui at Riverton yesterday. It is only about 2.5 hours to travel, perhaps a little more. Are there just very few horses in training at Wingatui any more or don't they like travelling? Wingatui is one of the favoured tracks in the new regime with lots of meetings and often premium stakes, and yet they don't really support their southern neighbours.

Wingatui a week ago, Timaru Sunday, Riverton yesterday, Riccarton tomorrow, Ashburton  four days after that.   Plenty of opportunities just at present.   Any horse with some pretensions to good form would be targeting better money at Riccarton, surely?  not the sluggers that sloshed around yesterday.   And as well, there must have been quite a few denied runs with the decision to make the 74 middle distance race an amateur.

16 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Well they did race last week,the gallopers are not like the harness who turn up week in week out,maybe the focus for some Riccarton might be where their attentions at,Andertons fill up the fields like the Tyler's,dont think they were there yesty.

This meeting for Riverton next year is on a wednesday,11th then Wairio the following Sunday,dont know if that will make any difference,its not really a circuit,I think it's just the way the days pan out from Easter.

2 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

While I don't have the same interest as you in this 'regional bias' and numbers game a few things stand out to me as being obvious in the South.

Having been around when Wingatui had big numbers of trainers and horses i marvel at the decline and note that Andertons aside it has very few horses at many South Island meetings.

The Canterbury catchment ,especially around Christchurch has the majority of horses.

A couple of Southland trainers ,particularly Tylers very active ,and successful.

Much discussed Timaru had approx 19 horses racing at their local meeting last Sunday ,far less at Riccarton this week , where the meeting is a step up from the Timaru menu which had a number of maiden races which were oversubscrbed with ballots.

There are a lot of slow horses around who may never win a race ,or one at most.

The South still getting a lot of horses ,often slow ,from North Island.one race I counted 8 of 11. So despite ballots in maiden races , horses still go South....experienced this a few times myself. Costs higher in North ,southern stakes similar.

Personally cant see the point of freighting horses so much.....80% of horses may be from Canterbury catchment yet racing out of province...Owners very resilient.Plus the TAB has to drag its equipment all over ,plus staff ,at great cost.OK for Iconic meetings eg Coast in Summer or Central Otago circuit.

With stable staff getting hard to find , keep the racing close to the Horse population and put resources into improving the tracks and infrastructure of the 'chosen' tracks.

As Messara Report suggested.

On 5/7/2021 at 11:01 AM, We're Doomed said:

Looks like only 5 or 6 from Wingatui turning up at Ascot in sunday,more from Cantebury,Tyler's are well represented,what are the odds of 5 more wins?