RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
pogo(aus)

The Kosciuszko (aus)

7 minutes ago, pogo(aus) said:

https://thekosciuszko.com.au

why wouldnt those running NZ racing copy this idea

NZ has never copied a single successful idea from anywhere else; none that I can recall anyhow. All we take from Aussie is their unwanted administrators who can't get a job anywhere else.

The $5  raffle ticket entry means it is truly open to all getting a chance of a slot,not just the elite like the everest or magic millions to a certain extent,also they know the sales of tickets have put them in front before the race is run,a win/win situation.open to all country horses,open to all punters,but you have to be open to the idea......

4 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

NZ has never copied a single successful idea from anywhere else; none that I can recall anyhow. All we take from Aussie is their unwanted administrators who can't get a job anywhere else.

Also, we don't have  well defined 'country' versus 'city'  training areas.    Matamata and Cambridge have a distinctly rural flavour...but together, house most of the horses in training.   Auckland city certainly doesn't.

How do you define that here?  Are Christchurch trainers only those Riccarton based?  How do you categorise one of the biggest teams e.g. the Parsons'...based at the beach?  Timaru is a fair sized place, hardly 'country' ,  but for this purpose, possibly?  as well, by the time these venues are closed down there won't be many left to call 'country'.

14 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

Also, we don't have  well defined 'country' versus 'city'  training areas.    Matamata and Cambridge have a distinctly rural flavour...but together, house most of the horses in training.   Auckland city certainly doesn't.

How do you define that here?  Are Christchurch trainers only those Riccarton based?  How do you categorise one of the biggest teams e.g. the Parsons'...based at the beach?  Timaru is a fair sized place, hardly 'country' ,  but for this purpose, possibly?  as well, by the time these venues are closed down there won't be many left to call 'country'.

If they wanted to support the bottom end could be that it's Auction type race , horses brought below a certain price,  or sire average sale price . That's what they do overseas . Horse like Shared Ambition won a few auction races . Just gives a chance for smaller connections to miss the heavyweights unless they buy a cheaper one too .

56 minutes ago, pogo(aus) said:

someone over there needs to do something

very interesting listening to john wheeler this morning on RSN 

worth seeing if its podcast , he didn't pull any punches in regard to the state of racing in NZ

Great interview. We don't really do anything like that in NZ.

Apparently the trots have introduced some rule where anyone involved with trotting isn't allowed to express an opinion anymore. I can't imagine something like that would go down well in Aussie. I bet NZTR would love something similar.

Forget the country/ town thing. Just use the lottery concept. Apply it to whatever race you like. Great Northern Steeplechase for example. Or a race with a maximum field likely. Of course someone would have to get off their arse and organise it. I have just the man in mind. Loves his facts and figures. Loves his research. Yes our one and only Tasman man. Let’s go 

5 hours ago, Memphis3 said:

Forget the country/ town thing. Just use the lottery concept. Apply it to whatever race you like. Great Northern Steeplechase for example. Or a race with a maximum field likely. Of course someone would have to get off their arse and organise it. I have just the man in mind. Loves his facts and figures. Loves his research. Yes our one and only Tasman man. Let’s go 

Leo could do it with his 350hrs of community service ??

Try this one Pam. https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=822699

Otherwise just google RSN John Wheeler.

He only briefly referred to how badly run NZ Racing has been since 2003 early on, the rest of it is talking about the horses he has had. All very interesting though.

It is good that he comes out and says what many people think, but sadly I think many of the older trainers have probably given up the fight regarding NZ Racing. It is the up and comers who need to show some interest or else the industry will disappear before they know it.

It's incredible to imagine that an industry with so much history, and so many people intimately involved in it, can be taken over and destroyed by people with vested interests, no history in the industry and no financial investment, who can just walk away when they destroy everything.

I imagine them walking away thinking "Oh well, that didn't work, but fuck, how stupid and gullible are those people to let us do all that, they really don't deserve to survive anyhow."

On 5/3/2021 at 2:00 PM, Red Rum said:

If they wanted to support the bottom end could be that it's Auction type race , horses brought below a certain price,  or sire average sale price . That's what they do overseas . Horse like Shared Ambition won a few auction races . Just gives a chance for smaller connections to miss the heavyweights unless they buy a cheaper one too .

If they wanted to support the bottom end they'd have supported country racing full stop, they haven't and they wont.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see them copy this idea and claim it as their own, they did it with Karaka Millions etc etc etc 

14 minutes ago, Huey said:

If they wanted to support the bottom end they'd have supported country racing full stop, they haven't and they wont.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see them copy this idea and claim it as their own, they did it with Karaka Millions etc etc etc 

Interesting to see 102 acceptances at Riccarton this weekend. Compared with 121 acceptances at Timaru last weekend, plus a few eliminated horses. And yet Timaru isn't considered necessary going forward.You really do wonder what it is that some people don't understand. I just struggle to see how those 121 from last weekend will be better off with the $15m white elephant.