rancho

Ellerslie Saturday

Recommended Posts

Heading up to attend Ellerslie for the first time on Saturday.  Going as the plus one of a mate who has a share in a horse running. Any advice on where’s the best place to be on course for viewing, tote access, bar etc?  Keen to know places for a decent feed afterwards (will be staying on Nelson st in the city).

cheers  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

Anywhere at Ellerslie is good, public stand superb

For a top feed go to HQ on the waterfront you are staying just up the road

Agreed with above.....wander around and check the place out .

You will have owners pass to go to mounting yard bar for a drink to chat with the jockey pre-race but check out the new horse stalls and the Tote room nearby.

Public stand is very good to view the races.....you may want to watch your race from members stand where you can be close to or in line with the finish....public stand 100-150 m along !

Don't expect a big crowd there ...it wont be Kumara in January or a Cup day !

If you want to see people go to the malls ,beaches or weekend holiday places on water....Viaduct at night.

Yes go visit HQ 's and ask for Leo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@rancho

SISO up the road in Remuera on the corner of Norana Ave where Banque used to be & has recently opened was always busy in the early evening.

Haven't tried it yet  but should be reviews online.

No problems with parking & not quite so many road cones to navigate in Remuera compared to city...

 

Great to see you coming out of the closet & dressing in your ANZAC weekend finery... If you get a chance rise early & attend an ANZAC service..usually one at Museum.

 

Have a great holiday in Auckland & make sure you are the one who brings friends next time to races.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice.  Had a great day at Ellerslie.  Best course in NZ I’ve been to.

Friendly tote and bar staff. Food and drink not too badly priced.  
 

Great stabling area, got to meet Janie Richards. Mates horse did no good, but all had a good day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rancho said:

Thanks for the advice.  Had a great day at Ellerslie.  Best course in NZ I’ve been to.

Friendly tote and bar staff. Food and drink not too badly priced.  
 

Great stabling area, got to meet Janie Richards. Mates horse did no good, but all had a good day.

Pleased you enjoyed your day......in horse ownership one needs to be a good loser. !

The very heavy rain on Friday night ensured a tricky wet track and there were some big divvies and upsets ,but in the main interesting and competitive racing.

Many back runners excelled.

A big crowd of young folk/students , over 1000 in the birdcage party area and a group of over 200 Chinese folk were upstairs ,dining and enjoying the day.

Of course there was 50,000 heading to Eden Park for six-60 concert.

A quiet day for Jamie !....rarely leaves without a win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tasman man said:

Pleased you enjoyed your day......in horse ownership one needs to be a good loser. !

The very heavy rain on Friday night ensured a tricky wet track and there were some big divvies and upsets ,but in the main interesting and competitive racing.

Many back runners excelled.

A big crowd of young folk/students , over 1000 in the birdcage party area and a group of over 200 Chinese folk were upstairs ,dining and enjoying the day.

Of course there was 50,000 heading to Eden Park for six-60 concert.

A quiet day for Jamie !....rarely leaves without a win.

You make it sound like 660 detracted from the Ellerslie Audience Tassie?😆I’ve been going there religiously since 1980 and you couldn’t get me back, so what chance of you getting the New Mugs becoming regulars and spending plenty across the tote... Boxing Day was the spawning ground and the braindead put the handbrake on . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least we still have the memories indelibly etched on our nimble brains Gruff. Standing room only on top of the old public stand as massive crowds cheered on Blue Blood, Jan's Beau, La Mer, Piko, Balmerino, Ben Lomond, Proud Chief,---not quite the same viewing a cellphone screen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gruff said:

You make it sound like 660 detracted from the Ellerslie Audience Tassie?😆I’ve been going there religiously since 1980 and you couldn’t get me back, so what chance of you getting the New Mugs becoming regulars and spending plenty across the tote... Boxing Day was the spawning ground and the braindead put the handbrake on . 

ARC recently leased out a $50M block of land and are almost due to flog off another block for $75M , they will receive another $100k from the amalgamation with Counites , they receive $2M a year from sponsors , their corporate facilities are pretty much booked out every race day , do you really think they give a flying fuck what tossers like you think ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tasman man said:

Pleased you enjoyed your day......in horse ownership one needs to be a good loser. !

The very heavy rain on Friday night ensured a tricky wet track and there were some big divvies and upsets ,but in the main interesting and competitive racing.

Many back runners excelled.

A big crowd of young folk/students , over 1000 in the birdcage party area and a group of over 200 Chinese folk were upstairs ,dining and enjoying the day.

Of course there was 50,000 heading to Eden Park for six-60 concert.

A quiet day for Jamie !....rarely leaves without a win.

A group of us were there on Saturday , what a magic day , well done to the ARC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gruff said:

You make it sound like 660 detracted from the Ellerslie Audience Tassie?😆I’ve been going there religiously since 1980 and you couldn’t get me back, so what chance of you getting the New Mugs becoming regulars and spending plenty across the tote... Boxing Day was the spawning ground and the braindead put the handbrake on . 

You been going since 1980 and they coudnt get you back,that seems a little confusing to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Blossom Lady said:

A group of us were there on Saturday , what a magic day , well done to the ARC

Yeh well done ARC ...another totally avoidable INCIDENT glossed over.. ie two track maintenance workers replacing 'divots' while a race was being run had to dive under the ruinng rail near the home bend as a field of 2yos came hurtling towards them.

"Not our finest moment," says CEO Wilcox. "The process fell away ..." while apologist Guerin rated it as small beans compared to the lunatic at Trentham in January and the golf ball incident last year during the Great Northern. (Yes they were playing golf on the 9-hole course inside the track during a race meeting and someone smacked a ball out onto the home straight during the race.)

PROCESS ....Mr Wilcox ,,what process?? I reckon WorkSafe will be all over this ...and I'd suggest there was/is no process in place to prevent maintenance workers from doing running repairs during a race.

What's the bet that video footage of this has been edited by now on the LoveRacing site.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weasel57 said:

Yeh well done ARC ...another totally avoidable INCIDENT glossed over.. ie two track maintenance workers replacing 'divots' while a race was being run had to dive under the ruinng rail near the home bend as a field of 2yos came hurtling towards them.

"Not our finest moment," says CEO Wilcox. "The process fell away ..." while apologist Guerin rated it as small beans compared to the lunatic at Trentham in January and the golf ball incident last year during the Great Northern. (Yes they were playing golf on the 9-hole course inside the track during a race meeting and someone smacked a ball out onto the home straight during the race.)

PROCESS ....Mr Wilcox ,,what process?? I reckon WorkSafe will be all over this ...and I'd suggest there was/is no process in place to prevent maintenance workers from doing running repairs during a race.

What's the bet that video footage of this has been edited by now on the LoveRacing site.

 

 

 

Are you suggesting the employees employed and paid to replace divots during the day were not trained or instructed to  do the work between the races and NOT during  the race ?

What would be achieved by putting a video of the mistake on the Racing site?

The stipes handled the racing side of it , within the time constraints , by interviewing the jockeys and a couple of trainers.....they made a decision which seemed fair and one can assume the Club will interview the workers.

Unfortunately these and similar incidents happen from time to time.......as they do in any workplace / sports arena.

Generally people learn from mistakes ......but impossible to eliminate every single risk......I've seen horses jump into the crowd ,horses out on the highway ,horses running around streets , races started without all horses or jockeys ready or mounted., cones on track ,animals on track etc etc 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, chevy86 said:

At least we still have the memories indelibly etched on our nimble brains Gruff. Standing room only on top of the old public stand as massive crowds cheered on Blue Blood, Jan's Beau, La Mer, Piko, Balmerino, Ben Lomond, Proud Chief,---not quite the same viewing a cellphone screen!

Fine memories indeed from the good old days..........Proud Chief an interesting inclusion though he thrashed the mighty Ben Lomond on a wet track ,and loved some moisture. 

But were the good old days indeed better ....horses back then seemed to dominate and win them on end  ,maybe not sold so quickly  or racing in Aussie so frequently.Only some trainers had steroids ! Stipe control loose ! Numbers were good but were there as many fast breeds and good trainers ?

But no denying the crowds ......what else was there to do ?

No  shopping malls , not so many houses in the Coromandel and fast toys to play with.

Few worked on weekends and public holidays ! Needs were few , over 50's mostly had false teeth !

Auckland /NZ was 90% Kiwi-bred .....Racing the only form of gambling bar the Golden Kiwi and Cricket Club Housie !

No female jockeys until 1970's......at recent meetings between 25% - 50% Female jockeys.....9 out of 12 in one race. Plus a good % of imported jockeys.

Only way to see ,or in some cases hear the races was to be on-course.....radio broadcast of races generally just on one local station.

The NZBC racing service on radio with Murray King and Wayne Andrews only did 'feature' races.

Yes times have changed...........were the good old days BETTER ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, weasel57 said:

Yeh well done ARC ...another totally avoidable INCIDENT glossed over.. ie two track maintenance workers replacing 'divots' while a race was being run had to dive under the ruinng rail near the home bend as a field of 2yos came hurtling towards them.

"Not our finest moment," says CEO Wilcox. "The process fell away ..." while apologist Guerin rated it as small beans compared to the lunatic at Trentham in January and the golf ball incident last year during the Great Northern. (Yes they were playing golf on the 9-hole course inside the track during a race meeting and someone smacked a ball out onto the home straight during the race.)

PROCESS ....Mr Wilcox ,,what process?? I reckon WorkSafe will be all over this ...and I'd suggest there was/is no process in place to prevent maintenance workers from doing running repairs during a race.

What's the bet that video footage of this has been edited by now on the LoveRacing site.

 

 

 

Ellerslie are like some stables they can do no wrong! 

I'd suggest Trentham had little control over the lunatic that entered the track , unlike Ellerslie who should have had all control over workers. 

Process is another ambiguous way of saying I had no idea they even worked here and of course a redirection of blame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tasman man said:

Are you suggesting the employees employed and paid to replace divots during the day were not trained or instructed to  do the work between the races and NOT during  the race ?

What would be achieved by putting a video of the mistake on the Racing site?

The stipes handled the racing side of it , within the time constraints , by interviewing the jockeys and a couple of trainers.....they made a decision which seemed fair and one can assume the Club will interview the workers.

Unfortunately these and similar incidents happen from time to time.......as they do in any workplace / sports arena.

Generally people learn from mistakes ......but impossible to eliminate every single risk......I've seen horses jump into the crowd ,horses out on the highway ,horses running around streets , races started without all horses or jockeys ready or mounted., cones on track ,animals on track etc etc 

 

there's a difference between an ACCIDENT and INCOMPETENCE / STUPIDITY / NEGLIGENCE.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Huey said:

Ellerslie are like some stables they can do no wrong! 

I'd suggest Trentham had little control over the lunatic that entered the track , unlike Ellerslie who should have had all control over workers. 

Process is another ambiguous way of saying I had no idea they even worked here and of course a redirection of blame.

spot on Huey. Deflecting blame...A CEO should accept that the buck stops with him. A good journo would be onnn this case asking interesting questions about the 'process' ...what training was given or required .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely part of the process was to employ people who could hear and see. Could they not hear the horses and at least the loudspeakers, and could they not read well enough to know what time the races were run and the times between races they had to do their job?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hacko said:

Now ex-staff track surely? 

 

Exactly,, Blue. The stupidity of this 'incident'' even happening during a race beggars belief. were the two blokes 'on debut' and complete idiots? Were they supposed to have supervision? If so, where was it?

And, just as important, if not more so, why did Trackside's Bosson/Guerin not ask the tough questions when give the opportunity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, tasman man said:

Fine memories indeed from the good old days..........Proud Chief an interesting inclusion though he thrashed the mighty Ben Lomond on a wet track ,and loved some moisture. 

But were the good old days indeed better ....horses back then seemed to dominate and win them on end  ,maybe not sold so quickly  or racing in Aussie so frequently.Only some trainers had steroids ! Stipe control loose ! Numbers were good but were there as many fast breeds and good trainers ?

But no denying the crowds ......what else was there to do ?

No  shopping malls , not so many houses in the Coromandel and fast toys to play with.

Few worked on weekends and public holidays ! Needs were few , over 50's mostly had false teeth !

Auckland /NZ was 90% Kiwi-bred .....Racing the only form of gambling bar the Golden Kiwi and Cricket Club Housie !

No female jockeys until 1970's......at recent meetings between 25% - 50% Female jockeys.....9 out of 12 in one race. Plus a good % of imported jockeys.

Only way to see ,or in some cases hear the races was to be on-course.....radio broadcast of races generally just on one local station.

The NZBC racing service on radio with Murray King and Wayne Andrews only did 'feature' races.

Yes times have changed...........were the good old days BETTER ?

 

Were the good old days BETTER? Impossible to say T. Man. because judgement parameters cannot easily be set.

All I know is that 50 years ago attendees( mostly men) were predominantly on course for the RACING (and the beer, atmosphere and crowd "rush")--a bit like the 50K at Eden Park for 660--they could all listen to 660 on their headphones anywhere, anytime but the big gig was the pull.

Nowadays, IMO, any semblance of a crowd is on course for the PARTY and SELFIES. No criticism or blame as any attendance is better than none, but for the majority of younger people the actual horse racing is of little consequence.

At least a fine day at Ellerslie is still a beautiful outing. Unfortunately not so at the desolate, deserted Alexandra Park these days when I compare it to the night of Young Quinn winning the Interdoms and John Langdon doing the double in the Trot final. What a buzz that night. 

Appreciate your details on the earlier times--an age of simplicity and innocence, until Jorgensen and Speight pulled out the machine-gun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.