RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Horsegirl94

Riverton Jumps

How many jumpers are in training in the SI? It would be a brave trainer and owner who puts time and expense into training a jumper these days with all the uncertainty.

With the intention to hold virtually all of the SI winter meetings on the Riccarton All Weather going forward, I can't see any place for jumping at all. Riccarton only wants to host jumps for one week of the year, and is quite happy to import them all rather than encourage locals.

The logical jumps tracks throughout the winter are Oamaru and Timaru, but they are both considered surplus to needs so the powers that be are hardly going to encourage them.

I did find the announcement concerning Riverton to be a bit condescending: "in an attempt for this meeting to proceed with reasonable field sizes".  There are plenty of horses in the south if they would just programme them properly.

2 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

How many jumpers are in training in the SI? It would be a brave trainer and owner who puts time and expense into training a jumper these days with all the uncertainty.

With the intention to hold virtually all of the SI winter meetings on the Riccarton All Weather going forward, I can't see any place for jumping at all. Riccarton only wants to host jumps for one week of the year, and is quite happy to import them all rather than encourage locals.

The logical jumps tracks throughout the winter are Oamaru and Timaru, but they are both considered surplus to needs so the powers that be are hardly going to encourage them.

I did find the announcement concerning Riverton to be a bit condescending: "in an attempt for this meeting to proceed with reasonable field sizes".  There are plenty of horses in the south if they would just programme them properly.

Pure speculation WD.......a chance to hijack another post with your vision on how racing and programmes should be run in South.

The post started with a reasonable question ......it is of  great interest to you and your logical thinking .

Of no interest to me but I assume as mentioned the folk who run this......NZTR the Club and the Progamming folk established there were not enough jumpers to proceed with the jumping races !

Jumping should have started in the south at Easter at Riverton as per usual , when from memory 2x races were carded . Not held .Then 4x races were to be held in May and this is the topic of the post.

Other than Riccarton , it appears that Otago [Wingatui] ,Riverton and Timaru are the southern jump venue.

Oamaru seems like your fantasy !

So the next jumps in South is at Timaru ,20 May , followed by Otago ,Timaru  in June,Otago and Timaru  again in July.

But if horse numbers and betting justify it...unlikely it seems...then those in control could alter it and add etc.

I note there are close to 100 jumps races planned for season with all the usual premier races to be held for a stake of $50k to $125 k...total nearly $2.5mill.

Not bad for a declining sector that attracts poor betting .

For decades the top South Island jumpers have regularly gone north to contest races at  Te Rapa[ May ] ,Manawatu, Hastings ,wellington etc 

But like you I'm speculating.........if you want to answer the topic of this post I suggest you contact NZTR , the Riverton Club or in particular the Southern programming Chairman and simply ask them.

Jumps racing is basically dead in the South,maybe the only hope is for Riverton to race a June/July meeting  and maybe some proper programming as in a few supporting southern meetings elsewhere,Riccarton have the grand National meeting back but most of the jumpers if not all will come from the North,last year they survived without,maybe times come to just have them in the North, meaning the winter carnival at Riccarton is no longer relavant, last year they just raced fortnightly and Gore and Wingatui raced,seemed to go ok,why change it?