RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Roger Sugrue

General Simm

Couldn't believe my eyes, there it is in black and white....my old mate of the 1970s....General Simm......in probably his finest achievement.....gets a few sentences in today's international publication ANZ Bloodstock News ( page 17)

The old warrior who faced the starter 231 times in the 70's was a son of Kinsimm...... who notably is the 5th dam of Avantage

Was he a warrior....I swear he raced every weekend during spring and summer ...year in and year out

He was always in the Open Sprint, 2nd leg of the Double.....would hare off in the lead .....usually falling back through the field

Occasionally he would hang on for 2nd or 3rd ( think I recall him winning once).....I guess through good luck I always seemed to be on when he was in the money and got some great place divvies ( never backed him to win) and concession doubles

There was added stress because we always had to listen to  the world's worst ever Commentator, Bill Cherry..........and we often had no idea of placings after the race either....

I never saw him race ......not sure that he ever ventured north of Gore

I think he was trained in Otautau or Tuatapere or similar village in Southland
......was he trained by Mr Ford ?

General's Mum, Kinsimm won 13 races as far north as Riccarton 

and it's a hell of a good family which is explained well in that article

I'm sure General would have raced against The Pixie and probably also against her half brother The Swagger........two great families doing the business 60 years on

RIP General..... gone but not forgotten 

Roger Sugrue General Simm won 9 races I think. Unraced at 2 he was trained by Rex Cochrane at 3-5. His first win was at Oamaru on the 10/6/67 ridden by TP Brown. At 6 he was trained by his owners EH Giles and RL Winter. At 7 he was trained by BM Forde. At 8 he was trained by RI McCauley. At 9 and 10 he was trained by BM Forde at Waihoaka. At 11 he was trained by TF Forde. At 10 he raced 42 times for 2 wins and at 11 he raced 39 times for 2 wins.

I rode The General a few times and he was the easiest horse to ride.

The owners were real characters, I will tell you a few story's about them.

They told me that General had been up and down State Highway that many times, that he knew where the pub was at Waikoloa ,as 1km from the pub the General knew the pub was a short distance away and would start rocking in the float, they would take him off the float and tie him to a gate. This was all good but the boys got another horse called Hasty Simm and they continued with the same practise. Then on one visit, unbeknown to the boys the Publican had got a couple of pigs , both horse were half asleep , then they spotted the pigs and story goes the both horse pulled the gate off its hinges and they say it was liken to a mobile start at the Trots.

The General's work was always done by being lead off Bernie's Landrover up down the hills on their farm.

Another true story was that they went to Hokitika and the other brother lover playing the piano, he was asked to provide some entertainment, which he was happy to do, the issue was the piano was bordering on the edge of the stage and after the brother had consumed a dozen jugs, the oblivious happened and the piano went tits up of the stage.

The brothers were top people who just loved racing, didn't matter if they won or ran last.

my memory is fading, but can our resident historian tell me if the General won at Marlbrough?

I am going to Paul Richards 60th Birthday tonight at HQ , so will ask him if he rode him

Midget General Simm won the Open 1400m race at Marlborough on the 29/4/74 ridden by apprentice MD secondsecond. Second War Ace and Russell McAra. Third Grey Coral and Ron Franklin.He then ran unplaced on the last day. He went on to Nelson on the 4/5/74 and ran second to Zetland and Leo Molloy. He ran 4th on the second day to Scotch William and Leo Molloy.

Hasty Simm was by Hastings Road out of Ayrsimm an Ayrshire Bard half sister to General Simm. He raced 58 times for two wins- Maiden Chase at Wingatui on the 5/6/82 and the Otago Hunt Chase at Wingatui on the 12/6/82. Both times ridden by S. Otte. Like General Simm he raced until he was 13.

On 4/24/2021 at 6:04 AM, Midget said:

I rode The General a few times and he was the easiest horse to ride.

The owners were real characters, I will tell you a few story's about them.

They told me that General had been up and down State Highway that many times, that he knew where the pub was at Waikoloa ,as 1km from the pub the General knew the pub was a short distance away and would start rocking in the float, they would take him off the float and tie him to a gate. This was all good but the boys got another horse called Hasty Simm and they continued with the same practise. Then on one visit, unbeknown to the boys the Publican had got a couple of pigs , both horse were half asleep , then they spotted the pigs and story goes the both horse pulled the gate off its hinges and they say it was liken to a mobile start at the Trots.

The General's work was always done by being lead off Bernie's Landrover up down the hills on their farm.

Another true story was that they went to Hokitika and the other brother lover playing the piano, he was asked to provide some entertainment, which he was happy to do, the issue was the piano was bordering on the edge of the stage and after the brother had consumed a dozen jugs, the oblivious happened and the piano went tits up of the stage.

The brothers were top people who just loved racing, didn't matter if they won or ran last.

my memory is fading, but can our resident historian tell me if the General won at Marlbrough?

I am going to Paul Richards 60th Birthday tonight at HQ , so will ask him if he rode him

Priceless , be a few more stories surfacing like this at the rate the country's roads are being closed off