RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Te Aroha

Not sure if anyone noticed, but another major meeting has been abandoned. This idea of watering down these tracks doesn't seem to be working. Riccarton didn't really play like you would expect a dead track to perform either.

We may have to reconsider whether it is wise to run group 1 races at country tracks.

The country tracks in my humble opinion make the best race days. They are often well supported by locals with a warm and friendly atmosphere. Family friendly and the best meetings you will ever go to. My favourites include Hastings, Matamata, Rotorua and sadly Dargaville. Thames was another good one.These meetings are also well supported by the trainers also, just look at the South Island country circuit. I have no idea why you would suggest such a thing??

My question is, was it really that bad that the meeting needed to be cancelled? The horse had just been interfered with and was off balance anyway and no-one got hurt? I have seen similar instances at trials and they are not called off? Sadly the likes of you and I will never know what really went on.

I wonder if track managers look at long range weather maps.. The best is Metvuw. it is surprisingly accurate out to 5 days and gets less so beyond that.

The data is US Military and the site here is by Victoria University. The weather radar is useful for short term, to see what is coming.

I ordered up large concrete pours every week for a very long time using MetVuw for guidance.

A track manager could print that out Monday morning for the next Saturday meeting. and calculate the precipitation predicted each day.

12 minutes ago, Nerula said:

I wonder if track managers look at long range weather maps.. The best is Metvuw. it is surprisingly accurate out to 5 days and gets less so beyond that.

The data is US Military and the site here is by Victoria University. The weather radar is useful for short term, to see what is coming.

I ordered up large concrete pours every week for a very long time using MetVuw for guidance.

A track manager could print that out Monday morning for the next Saturday meeting. and calculate the precipitation predicted each day.

Without being disrespectful, the weather changes all the time, so the track managers need more than weekly printouts. I use YR.No, it is a Norwegian website that covers the world and updates every 30 mins. The Norwegians invented Meteorology way back when, so I believe them rather than NIWA and especially not the Trumpies. Try the site, you won’t be disappointed. They showed what would happen at Te AROHA today, and that is why I did not go.

Cheers

John 

Then you should run a copy off weekly and slip under AC door each Monday 

Unbelievable how wet the track was at Riccarton

I guess the moaner 👑 last time about how firm the track was now has no excuse for how her team went yesterday, but I’m sure she will find one

16 minutes ago, uneasy said:

Then you should run a copy off weekly and slip under AC door each Monday 

Unbelievable how wet the track was at Riccarton

I guess the moaner 👑 last time about how firm the track was now has no excuse for how her team went yesterday, but I’m sure she will find one

Mate you are right...they whoever they are have fucked the tracks by this constant want about watering the day before and producing dead tracks...let the track be as it will be and most of the problems with the tracks is they dont put them back anymore with a shovel just throw sand in the digits no wonder they are Donald ducked.JMO...I see the "track expert" elsewhere trying to wind you up. 

The tosser won’t wind me up.
Best way is for us to keep winning races at Riccarton despite what conditions they come up with, 4 wins previous meeting on good 3, 3 on “Dead” track  yesterday -  beautiful!!!
That’s 28 this season at Riccarton              

I wonder what the moaners think now

We put a program together for weather monitoring. We installed weather stations at two tracks (Matamata and Hawkes Bay). We put soil sensors in. We gave them a management system and a number of suggested steps including changing the soil management program which included changing the grasses, fert program and irrigation program. We suggested a track management development program so that other tracks could view an open sourced presentation of what was going on with other tracks.

What happened you might ask? The weather stations were installed, as were some soil monitors. Within a week, someone damaged the water monitors, only to be replaced, where they were damaged again, where they were replaced and then damaged again. You might ask why they were put onto a position where they could get damaged? Quick answer was they were put onto a place where no-one should have been able to interfere. Raised a number of questions which CSI couldn't have solved. Weather stations worked OK until they were continuously unplugged. That was also very interesting.

Made a number of predictions in respect of the weather and watering program. These weren't adhered to. Became very interesting that certain horses needed certain track conditions to perform correctly and somehow this happened (coincidence).

Saw Te Aroha track. Lots of grass on top. Grass isn't the cushion, the humus and rooting system of the grasses that is the cushion. Grass gets slippery when wet so grass should not be long. Get grasses that have deep roots, Stop chemical fert programs, that destroys the microbes and prevents the roots from getting deep for more cushion and drainage. Also more microbes means more retained moisture, which means less artificial watering. This is simple but they don't and haven't listened.

PS. I have a farm consultancy business that looks after 2100 farms who are being weaned off nitrogen ferts so I sort of know what's what. Check this video out. 

I'm far from an expert in track preparation but I wonder if it has similar principles to cricket pitches.  The groundsman 20 years ago done a magnificent job, pitch would hold up good for a two day game, he would drown it on a Monday morning and then no more water for the rest of the week. The current guy you see the sprinklers on all week until about thursday and it turns to crumbly rubbish by the end of a T20 game. 

1 hour ago, uneasy said:

The tosser won’t wind me up.
Best way is for us to keep winning races at Riccarton despite what conditions they come up with, 4 wins previous meeting on good 3, 3 on “Dead” track  yesterday -  beautiful!!!
That’s 28 this season at Riccarton              

I wonder what the moaners think now

Lucky you had your wet trackers ready to go Michael.

46 minutes ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

I'm far from an expert in track preparation but I wonder if it has similar principles to cricket pitches.  The groundsman 20 years ago done a magnificent job, pitch would hold up good for a two day game, he would drown it on a Monday morning and then no more water for the rest of the week. The current guy you see the sprinklers on all week until about thursday and it turns to crumbly rubbish by the end of a T20 game. 

Ah yes, but the current guy has been to a course and has the advantage of expert consultants. The previous people didn't have that "advantage".

11 hours ago, Baz (NZ) said:

I'm glad we got the Cambridge Synthetic tracked installed in time to prevent more costs to the industry with another cancelled meeting today! 🙈 🤣 🤣

Oh Baz, you just don't understand. The reputation of NZ Racing will soar in the eyes of the Racing world once we get our three $16m AWTs up and going, regardless of whether we continue to run our group races on tracks like yesterday's, which resembled cow paddocks to be honest - apologies to dairy farmers.

Anyhow, by next year both of yesterday's meetings will be held on the new AWTs, won't they?, so we won't have to worry about that again.

8 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Ah yes, but the current guy has been to a course and has the advantage of expert consultants. The previous people didn't have that "advantage".

Funny you say that, the guy who did a great job was an ex first class player who I would have just learnt from playing and talking to previous groundsman I would say. 

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

Anyhow, by next year both of yesterday's meetings will be held on the new AWTs, won't they?, so we won't have to worry about that again.

I'll be interested to see just how much winter racing these AWTs can handle.

grass was far to long! I know a lot of farmers that would have been happy to put there dairy cows on that track.

And again to much regular irrigation that doesn't make grass put roots down deep enough.

Just irrigate now and then but soak it when you do

Metservice was predicting rain? why confusuion over forecast track as dead 5 anyway.

I notice a lot of people dont know the difference between there rural and town forecasts.

Rural far my detail.There 5 day and 3 day rain models are normally accurate.

Cant stand there new website though!

As Berri said lots of grass - looked very deep in the post race 3 inspection. Almost looked like very long ryegrass and being wet can get quite slippery,  especially when horses are only wearing plates. Safer if shorter, but just mho.

5 hours ago, Shad said:

I tend to follow my cats forecast, if she cleans behind her ears, rain for sure, if she licking her arse a fine day beckons, anything in between a mix, quite simple and bloody accurate, every course needs a good moggy 

I am sure it would work better than the Wallys running things now..it is a sad state of affairs we have lowered ourselves to here in NZ and we all just accept it as the stars quo and move on...I remember when we are kids and riding we never had this type of BS...Riccarton a couple of weeks back with no Wally able to water the day before was a good 3 and everything had a chance and then yesterday it was a shit hole again because..yep you guessed it the dick with the sprinklers was at it again...surely even blind Freddie could see what's wrong..or am I missing something???