RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nelli

Auckland trot fields

Can anyone explain the logic of the split of the Auckland trot fields? Why the 14 horse lower grade race with the back marker off an almost impossible 30 m and the tiny field (now 5) for the higher grade with all but one off the front.  I'm sure Temporale's owners are very happy and the horse will be a very hot favorite with the punters. But is this actually fair?

PS I know the owners/trainer of the 30 m back marker didn't request to be in that field.

I'd suggest the owners or yourself ring the racing manager at club and simply ask.

My guess is the main trot race had a 20m maximum ,which is great for the tightly assessed open class trotters , so they decided to stick to conditions / rating band of the lesser trot and not 'promote' the highest assessed from the lesser race.

I agree this doesn't make sense particularly when one race now has 5 starters ,and the other has a 30m back marker facing a very difficult task.

I noted there were only 75 noms for 10 races.

The 2yr old non-winners race only had 5 noms so predictably was joined with the 5 noms for non-winning maidens , but they kept the 'gender' preferential draw meaning the in-form experienced female maidens get the advantage from the maiden babies.

The Junior race had 2 x noms ,and another race 4 x noms .

When Cambridge racing the previous night some collaboration and/or extra attention could be a good idea !

Agree T man, with 67 only ak fields thisdouble up with thurs/friday with Cambridge seems insurmountable.It has been obvious to most participants that it creates anomalies and is not attractive for the punters.Surely a friday/sunday would be preferable to present "head in sand" thinking. 🤮

This is probably more an issue of the hrnz board who schedule the calandar as it is.

Still dont change the fact northern racing ain't that flash these days.

Just to add for most of the season Southland have been racing Wednesday's and Thursdays,now for some strange reason nearly every week isince Easter s now Saturdays yet Forbury are Thursday nights in the dead of Winter,another anomaly,no wonder the place is in decline.

39 minutes ago, mikenz said:

This is probably more an issue of the hrnz board who schedule the calandar as it is.

Still dont change the fact northern racing ain't that flash these days.

Just to add for most of the season Southland have been racing Wednesday's and Thursdays,now for some strange reason nearly every week isince Easter s now Saturdays yet Forbury are Thursday nights in the dead of Winter,another anomaly,no wonder the place is in decline.

What is not flash about Northern racing ?

When should these Southern meetings race .?

With the main track Addington racing Friday and the very popular grass tracks racing Sundays when should the other Southern tracks be racing.

And when are you elevating yourself into administration to sort this stuff out ?

Well for some reason it's fine all the Southern meetings being Saturdays since Easter,they are just being the third meeting yet through spring mostly no 3rd meeting anyway.

Northern racing, you got to admit the fields are short on numbers at times.

As for the last comment I will let that one pass by for now lol.

the only 'admin' that would have any ability to change for the drivers/trainers /owners/punters. are not the clubs nor even hrnz , it is the TAB that now appears to have "godlike" control on locations/dates /number of races etc. It has been many years since any control in the Industry has disappeared from those most affected. I have been involved in many clubs and horses for a few years now from 1960sto today At least some stupidity is being corrected eg.wyndham,Hawera.

54 minutes ago, john legend said:

the only 'admin' that would have any ability to change for the drivers/trainers /owners/punters. are not the clubs nor even hrnz , it is the TAB that now appears to have "godlike" control on locations/dates /number of races etc. It has been many years since any control in the Industry has disappeared from those most affected. I have been involved in many clubs and horses for a few years now from 1960sto today At least some stupidity is being corrected eg.wyndham,Hawera.

Not quite correct John, its now the industry bodies who provide NZTAB with their programs. The TAB to basically rubber stamp their requests if not unreasonable in terms of manpower/logistics.

13 minutes ago, eljay said:

John - how can you run a business when it is run by someone else?  Simply the TAB has to be de-powered as far as industry admin is concerned

Tell me how the TAB runs HRNZ admin??. Surely the HRNZ set out programs for distribution to TAB. The TAB only updates website with what the respective codes send them

The tab has been boosted by alteration  to its governance role by govt. The new powers taking over from RITA means that when dates are suggested it is not a rubber stamp but a combination of economics from the tab to see the best set up for all 3 codes . There is some discussion  obviously but the last word unless it is totally compelling is that of the TAB. You could say what is wrong with that as the TAB needs profits to feed the Clubs . Sounds good but I could give a list of 20 actions they have already taken to achieve the exact opposite of their Mission Statement. So have little faith in their ability to be profitable for the Industry.. eg. giving manawatu 5 races on a tuesday afternoon a week apart to help greyhounds meant few visiting horses and drivers as not economic to tra vel with horses obviously for 1 start.When a 2 night tues/thursday meeting was run fields and drivers and turnover obviously made sense.. Dont ask for a list of TAB faults as we are aware of them and I have given up trying to point out their short sited faults.

46 minutes ago, john legend said:

The tab has been boosted by alteration  to its governance role by govt. The new powers taking over from RITA means that when dates are suggested it is not a rubber stamp but a combination of economics from the tab to see the best set up for all 3 codes . There is some discussion  obviously but the last word unless it is totally compelling is that of the TAB. You could say what is wrong with that as the TAB needs profits to feed the Clubs . Sounds good but I could give a list of 20 actions they have already taken to achieve the exact opposite of their Mission Statement. So have little faith in their ability to be profitable for the Industry.. eg. giving manawatu 5 races on a tuesday afternoon a week apart to help greyhounds meant few visiting horses and drivers as not economic to tra vel with horses obviously for 1 start.When a 2 night tues/thursday meeting was run fields and drivers and turnover obviously made sense.. Dont ask for a list of TAB faults as we are aware of them and I have given up trying to point out their short sited faults.

Perhaps with all the historical greviences you should find a new hobby or get with the new TAB program. The last lot pre Rita left the industry reeling to the extent that it needed a bailout. Im really pleased with the new mob at TAB, complete cleanout of top table and board. 20 mio of cost cuts already which is what everyone ,including yourself  wanted.

HRNZ decide what clubs get what , in terms of dates not the TAB whose only job now is generating income to give to Racing NZ board to pass on to the respective codes. Fleming represents TB's Woodham Harness and not sure about hounds or the 2 independents. I hope this assists you and others. Misinformation is of no benefit to anyone

FYG, it was HRNZ that decided to give Gore and Wyndham the flick. Mind you someone with associations with Winton  may have had some say about the original choices,🤔

JJ ,you have always seemed a reasonable person. and a knowledgable one.Please dont suggest a new hobby as I still believe in harness racing and a bit too old to take up folk dancing or scrabble. You seem to have faith in the tab . I hope it does succeed as will the new Minister of Racing although he has a big workload !!!  

17 minutes ago, john legend said:

JJ ,you have always seemed a reasonable person. and a knowledgable one.Please dont suggest a new hobby as I still believe in harness racing and a bit too old to take up folk dancing or scrabble. You seem to have faith in the tab . I hope it does succeed as will the new Minister of Racing although he has a big workload !!!  

Perhaps I'm just over negativity all the time and I do have more faith in.current NZTAB  board and current CEO than.previous disasters including Allen and Hughes. Both were a disgrace..

The facts say turnover is up and costs down. That to me says success. If you or others see it differently then that's your choice/prerogative. 

I agree JJ better to live life in the positive....However when bad decisions are made that have an adverse effect on hard working people, I ,for one will not stand in silence...Can I put some examples only....

Whoever was responsible for the decision to close all harness racing from cambridge south to Cook Strait overlooked the 1000s of volunteers .Also the millions of dollars invested in training properties in the area. To save $$ ? yet greyhounds and gallops seemingly immune ? From an accountants view an Auckland/cambridge/addington/ascot/ may makedollars but at a real level interest in trotting would be decimated over time. Closure of many tabs not a cunning plan as was sell off of radio licences . lets hope its not too late for a lot of the bad decisions to be reversed. Sorry for being negative and there is a little light coming through .hope its not too  late !!!

The TAB's job is to market and sell the "Product" to achieve max profits and to be presented in such a fashion appealing to both existing and potential punters. The PRODUCT is provided by all racing and sports codes. Mmm is it Trotting helping the Dogs or vis visa. With Palmy if not for the horses  traveling up from down South (??at who's expense)  They would be lucky to field 3 races after all very few Northern horses are coming down. A mate suggested that if the Dogs could afford to build a new track, Palmy trots would be gone. 

58 minutes ago, john legend said:

Closure of many tabs not a cunning plan as was sell off of radio licences . l

The business case for both was a negative result for the NZTAB, especially Trackside Radio, did it increase turnover? , the results say no. That said changes to Racing Act 2020 where TAB's sole responsibility is wagering  suggests that none of the codes want to pay for or run it either. 

The move to online and phone apps was essentially moving with the times and strategically sound as that is what attracts younger clients and even this old bugger can place his bets on his phone from anywhere in NZ. The old tote machines were archaic and costing more to fix and maintain than what they were worth. Again , years of underinvestment came home to roost. But you cant blame current board and management , they were sent in to do what everyone wanted- cut costs and stop the rot. So methinks you cant have your cake and eat it to

52 minutes ago, john legend said:

I agree JJ better to live life in the positive....However when bad decisions are made that have an adverse effect on hard working people, I ,for one will not stand in silence...Can I put some examples only....

Whoever was responsible for the decision to close all harness racing from cambridge south to Cook Strait overlooked the 1000s of volunteers .Also the millions of dollars invested in training properties in the area. To save $$ ? yet greyhounds and gallops seemingly immune ? From an accountants view an Auckland/cambridge/addington/ascot/ may makedollars but at a real level interest in trotting would be decimated over time. Closure of many tabs not a cunning plan as was sell off of radio licences . lets hope its not too late for a lot of the bad decisions to be reversed. Sorry for being negative and there is a little light coming through .hope its not too  late !!!

Hopefully some radio will return sometime,,not so sure about the 4 track scenario making money,a recent study down south showed Forbury  and Ascot as the poorest performers,Aucklands turnovers,which indicates interest is poor,Cambridge not much better,the real performers are the  little country clubs who probably do best for two reasons,one being traditional meetings as in holidays and racing at the weekend,as in the Canterbury grass circuit,it's no wonder Forbury all turned to shit,there are a lot of those southern meetings now that also ain't running on such fashionable days either.

1 hour ago, ivanthegreat said:

Something has to happen to increase horse numbers, it's just not sustainable if it goes on any longer even the diehards like me will abandon ship.

Correct........me too ,and a lot of other Owners too I believe.

Club members have been kept in dark and advised to wait the Court judgements on Apartments before the true situation and plan for future can be divulged.

But really the Northern region doesn't help matters by apparently not working together with HRNZ/TAB on dates and programming.

These Thursday/Friday back to backs don't help.

Cambridge on Thursday had 106 noms for 8 races planned.

There was 36 horses nominated for 2 x 2700 m races.....what ?....I was told 2700m races not attractive !

Of the 36.....8 x from Manawatu area , 13 from Auckland ,15 from Waikato.

Generally good noms for all races except 6 , incl 5 xAuckland horses for 2 yr Sires Stakes Series Heats.

Even 9 x horses for Junior race ...could be a recent Northern record.

ATC on Friday had 81 noms for 10 races , incl 11x horses for Amateur race.

There are 4x noms for 2700 m race for horses 56-69...incl American Me from Manawatu.

In the $12 k Non-winners pace  there are 8 x noms.....NONE from outside Auckland.

So obvious what will happen.....ATC will run 7 or 8 races , with full trotting fields , while Cambridge will run more than the planned 8 races.

If ALL concerned worked together two better balanced meetings could be held ,even on the Thursday/Friday , but that situation plain dumb IMO