RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mikenz

Riverton,

Been reading the Southland times online and two articles,one was midweek,man in charge said Riverton did 1.9 million on New Year's Day.

And reckoned a crowd around 5000 yesty  with 1.8 million turnover,now I know that the harness clubs were doing that on a few occasions over Xmas and I don't know what the gallops clubs do but that does seem pretty good figures,didn't that Aussie fella reckoned close it and go to Ascot Park,really.

12 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Been reading the Southland times online and two articles,one was midweek,man in charge said Riverton did 1.9 million on New Year's Day.

And reckoned a crowd around 5000 yesty  with 1.8 million turnover,now I know that the harness clubs were doing that on a few occasions over Xmas and I don't know what the gallops clubs do but that does seem pretty good figures,didn't that Aussie fella reckoned close it and go to Ascot Park,really.

Great stuff! All those Southland farmers having a punt after great returns from their much maligned dairy herds. Still the backbone of New Zealand's economy and working too hard to cop the wokeness crap infesting other parts of NZ.

Went down there in 2019, had one in the cup, flew down from Christchurch on the day, after the plane circled for about an hour, around invercargill and thinking we we heading back to Dunedin, finally got a break in the fog, was a good day at the races and a big crowd, never managed to bring back the cup, took time to checkout the courses down there, winton Wyndham gore and ascot park, all looked nice courses, shame some aren't used these days, good feed of oyster too, grassroots racing at it's best, hope to head back again in the future. 

3 hours ago, mikenz said:

mikenz.......are you making this stuff up ?

How about at least read the Messara report from 2018.

He never said close Riverton , it was one of the 28 courses he suggested remain. He did note it had below average infrastructure...similar with Ascot park  where he suggested some buildings be rebuilt and facilities and track get some upgrading. Probably had in mind that Ascot Park a key trotting track and also Hounds !

Read the report and get the gist of it ,how he believes money to be spent should go into certain courses as they will be used more into the future .

He also noted Riverton was the only jumping venue in Southland.

Yes their turnovers on recent days have been outstanding , News Years Day and Easter are two of the biggest days for the NZ TAB for racing bets.

But overall their turnover not a lot different to Ascot Park's , the latter does better in export turnover.

Riverton only had one meeting last season cos of Covid ,the Easter and a third in late April canned.

The season prior it had four...2x Easter and two in May[ Wed and Sunday]

Yes he did earmark or someone did Riverton closing in 2025 or something,havnt heard anything lately.

As for Ascot Park,the recent report done that concluded Forbury close also stated Ascot Park was the other poor performer from a harness viewpoint,as for racing at Ascot I read recently that Winton who shifted to Ascot but last year had to race at Gore,because of the weather and then this season raced labour day at Ascot are I think going back to Gore,there must be a reason ,mind you you do read and hear so much differing stories after a while one dont know what to believe.

The distinction between different types of racecourse exists in all jurisdictions.

In France, you have the big metropolitan tracks that race regularly and the "provincial" tracks which race less frequently but often to large local crowds.

I don't know anything about Riverton - it "looks" like a well-run country club which uses its infrequent days to advantage. We have Cartmel over here which races only 6 days a year but has 15,000+ at each meeting from Lake District locals to holidaymakers. It doesn't pretend to be a Haydock, York or Newcastle and would fail if it tried.

I don't understand why there can't be room for both the "regular" business race tracks and the occasional country courses in the operating model. If you have a strong local base or are in a tourist area, it makes sense to play to those groups - it won't be Group 1 in terms of facilities or possibly even quality but a 10/1 winner pays the same whether in a Group 1 or a seller and sometimes just having a bit of grass for a picnic is all anyone needs.

Good win by beam me up scotty, hard run the first day and a few more kgs as well, has won an invercargill cup before, good to see Reon Auckett get a winner, talking through my pocket took fixed odds of 34 v tote 28s about 2 minutes before race, what a change in those 2 minutes, blows out to 44 tote and 51 fixed, probably changed halfway through race, you would think with technology updates would be before or on race jump, do see this many a time, but I'll take my 34s and hope my last leg multi roughie gets upm good to see trainer get his first win.

2 hours ago, Shad said:

Good win by beam me up scotty, hard run the first day and a few more kgs as well, has won an invercargill cup before, good to see Reon Auckett get a winner, talking through my pocket took fixed odds of 34 v tote 28s about 2 minutes before race, what a change in those 2 minutes, blows out to 44 tote and 51 fixed, probably changed halfway through race, you would think with technology updates would be before or on race jump, do see this many a time, but I'll take my 34s and hope my last leg multi roughie gets upm good to see trainer get his first win.

Did that multi win?

56 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Did that multi win?

Nah had Tennessee rock to win in the last, to be fair went a tidy race, considering it over raced the whole way,  took a horse called sheezabelter last start, went a big race for second coming from last on the turn, 10s place, maybe be in on Thursday up north, but div be gone,also been following almeraki, hasn't had alot of luck either, had a syndicate bet Saturday but couldn't return a cracker, did look at kusada but wide draw scared me off, I visited a dark hollow place, with a no return.

12 minutes ago, Shad said:

Nah had Tennessee rock to win in the last, to be fair went a tidy race, considering it over raced the whole way,  took a horse called sheezabelter last start, went a big race for second coming from last on the turn, 10s place, maybe be in on Thursday up north, but div be gone,also been following almeraki, hasn't had alot of luck either, had a syndicate bet Saturday but couldn't return a cracker, did look at kusada but wide draw scared me off, I visited a dark hollow place, with a no return.

How much did you not win, ,did you had beam me up Scott's in the multi or just a single bet,if you had him in ya multi and tennessee rock was paying 23 you were probably pushing your luck just a bit far.

11 minutes ago, mikenz said:

How much did you not win, ,did you had beam me up Scott's in the multi or just a single bet,if you had him in ya multi and tennessee rock was paying 23 you were probably pushing your luck just a bit far.

Yep going for the gold just took the two of them in win multi, and was abit brave to be fair, backed scotty ew as well, backed 3 winners last meeting at reefton trots, superfast gorsey, sisters delight and boys invasion, don't know why but never gave a multi a thought, would have been very tidy one, both superfast and boys never had much luck at Westport and the odds were tidy, nice horse picture me rolling, and abit underrated for me, scotty a battler who needs all favours, caught 3 wide Saturday with big weight, dropped 3 or 4kg and a better trip, rating65s went faster than cup on Saturday I think, he has also won an invercargill gold cup as well as a trainer change, to be fair given all this one couldn't be overconfident.

1 hour ago, Nerula said:

Stodgy, Riverton is the most distant course in the world from where you live. Bucket List?

Probably ,but I visited what most likely the southernmost in world in Punta Arenas in Southern Chile !

16 hours ago, Shad said:

Good win by beam me up scotty, hard run the first day and a few more kgs as well, has won an invercargill cup before, good to see Reon Auckett get a winner

Yes, must be Reo's first winner in 20 years. Was a bit of a tearaway when he was at Ruakaka but good to see he's stuck with the game.

20 hours ago, stodge said:

Very much so - one day.

South of NZ is The Antipodes Islands in the Fearsome Fiifties. if you drilled a hole at Greenwich (53 N) through the centre of the earth thats where you would come out.