RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tasman man

Top 5 NZ track surfaces ?

What are the top 5 NZ racing surfaces .

Currently , for consistency and reliablity ?

It seems that there has been much criticism of late of many of our most used tracks including Ricc ,Awapuni and the champagne turf.

Plus another had races called off after one race and the trials at another were firstly transferred and then abandoned.

Yesterday at Ellerslie ,despite recent rain , the track seemed in excellent nick.Greatly improved since remedial work done.

Weather patterns seem to be getting more unpredictable and severe !

The Messara report that many of our tracks in poor shape and needed considerable upgrades.

Can we afford this as stakes continue to decline and our poor owners get even poorer returns !

It seems obvious that tracks need closing and money be spent on tracks to future proof the sport.........folk been saying this for 50 years !

So what are currently our 5 top surfaces ?

Criteria ......used for minimum of 5 x meetings per year .

Seems Ellerslie near the top now ....IMO.

Just now, Pam Robson said:

Don't think Omoto comes into the 5x use category....but good little venue regardless.

LOL yes but just stressing my point about it being used so sparingly. The amount of rain it can drain at such a quick rate is incredible. Excellent footing too. 

It's pretty easy to choose the good ones - the poor ones is a long list and would upset many on here!

1 minute ago, We're Doomed said:

I was going to say Timaru myself. In my view Timaru is a crucial track for SI racing due to its central location, and really should be given priority and should have money spent on it

The one time I went there about 10 years ago it was in bad shape but everyone who matters raves about it so I ignore my assessment. Vital in terms of location etc.

31 minutes ago, uneasy said:

Riccarton best track when good 3

Wingatui

Washdyke

Ashburton

Riverton may not qualify but yesterday’s track was very good/fair to all

And Riverton the only track in the SI outside of Riccarton that can start more than 14 horses. The winners did seem to come from all over yesterday. Probably a track that could be used a bit more.

2 hours ago, THE TORCH said:

The one time I went there about 10 years ago it was in bad shape but everyone who matters raves about it so I ignore my assessment. Vital in terms of location etc.

Its a shithole is Timaru.

Ellerslie has the best surface at the moment...by far! Just improve it my by putting a strathayr track in when the merger with Pukekohe goes ahead and then it will be worldclass

Yep have to agree about Ruakaka lovely track , horses seem to run good times all year round , Not sure what it must cost owners to transport horses up there from Waikato?

Cant have a piece of Awapuni got to be close to the worst track in NZ

Trentham in the Summer is a pretty awesome place Love the winter steeplechase meetings 

Like Woodville for a betting track no bias , I have seen them run some very good times there over the last few seasons e.g. 1.22 (1400)  Even when its wet they seem to win from the rail or a bit wider but never on the outside rail.

Hastings seems to be well groomed and provides a pretty consistent surface 

IMO

6 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I'm not sure if you are taking the piss or being serious. Many years since I have had a bet there. I couldn't have any confidence at all betting at Ruakaka.

My ROI is best at Ruakaka

One of the few tracks around now that can be  relied upon to have a consistant trend.

As for top surfaces down south during the autumn/winter months there is nothing wrong with Oamaru - ( not sure if they have 5 meetings or not ).

It is very central for Canterbury/Southland trainers - a bit like Timaru.

Ruakaka is a track that i never have a bet at....likewise Riccarton.

9 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Agree wholeheartedly.

The track is well prepared/presented, and facilities for both horses and the public very acceptable.

Not only that but they own a large parcel of land over the back straight. I believe it was leased to Donna Williamson’s stud but she’s in the process of moving. With Riccarton having sold the pony club and Rangiora’s future looking forlorn for thoroughbreds at least, Timaru could become an important training venue but the powers that be would rather shut it

Trentham is the best track in the country by miles  when its on, which is most of the time.

Matamata

Ashburton

Wanganui (not winter)

Ellerslie 

Worst 5

Tauranga

New Plymouth

Te Rapa

Kumara

Ruakaka

On 4/4/2021 at 2:19 PM, We're Doomed said:

I'm not sure if you are taking the piss or being serious. Many years since I have had a bet there. I couldn't have any confidence at all betting at Ruakaka.

Proved it again today ...1.09.79  for 65 grade in the rain

Ruakaka drains as good as Shatin

Best surface in NZ IMO

My first time on course at Ruakaka today

A superb surface but a wicked leaders bias, if you don't settle in the first four you are out of it as nothing improves from the back. I quickly learned ignore form and tote price and simply back leaders and that proved very profitable.

But surely is a superb track