THIS WEEK'S COMP TATTS TIARA DAY THANKS TO PONDEROSA STAY TUNED FOR DETAILS
crustyngrizzly

This Race Day 1952

Recommended Posts

This Saturday Easter meeting  at Ellerslie in 1952 my good friend rode the winner of the first division of the Great Northern Oaks on,CHICKADEE.

To make things even better her stablemate  Sobriane ridden by Grenville Hughes won the 2nd Division.

Both trained by Jack McDonald.

Chickadee was the Grand Dam of Dee Dee and Urupukapuka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Charlie Bukowski said:

Mannix ! What a freak he was , could have been anything.

DJ Riordan , one of 3 brilliant jockey brothers. Up there with the Harris and Skelton brothers.

Oh , those were the days.

Was Mateland another of Des's champions ?

Sure was in fact he told me recently that one morning he galloped him on the out side of the TA course proper along with John on another horse and it was the fastest  800  he has ever been.Just got off the phone with Des and John was riding Paye Gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great memories reignited for me too there Crusty. I loved watching the Skelton brothers riding and the Riordans were the same. I remember going to watch Jocasta run in a juvenile race at Trentham (may have been the Wellesley or Wakefield maybe) with an American workmate of mine (Bill Oppenheim, now a world-renowned bloodstock analyst) after Bill had declared it a "certainty" (I had counselled him there were no certainties in racing). Bill had put a grand on it at $3. That was 10 weeks wages at the time. I think Noel Riordan may have ridden it that day. Anyway, Jocasta went clear at the furlong and looked home for all money. Bill was already heading for the tote when about 100m out a stupid bloke standing near the rail threw his tickets on the track and the wind blew them in front of the horses and Jocasta shied and crashed through the running rail. Noel was lucky he was not seriously hurt. When I turned around Bill was lying on the ground with his head in his hands having just seen $1000 disappear. Dee Dee and Urupukapuka were a couple of my favourites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Charlie Bukowski said:

Mannix ! What a freak he was , could have been anything

Traced back to Eulogy and spent 10 years at Stud in Japan.

Anyone know how he got on there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Patiti said:

Traced back to Eulogy and spent 10 years at Stud in Japan.

Anyone know how he got on there.

From what i have read

223   mares served from 71/78

150      foals

119      registered

102       started

2099   races started in

66         individual         winners

234      races won

Last progeny horse raced in 84

Seem to recall he left Count Mannix in NZ a winner possibly for Ray Johnson.

 

  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2021 at 12:42 PM, High Sparrow said:

Great memories reignited for me too there Crusty. I loved watching the Skelton brothers riding and the Riordans were the same. I remember going to watch Jocasta run in a juvenile race at Trentham (may have been the Wellesley or Wakefield maybe) with an American workmate of mine (Bill Oppenheim, now a world-renowned bloodstock analyst) after Bill had declared it a "certainty" (I had counselled him there were no certainties in racing). Bill had put a grand on it at $3. That was 10 weeks wages at the time. I think Noel Riordan may have ridden it that day. Anyway, Jocasta went clear at the furlong and looked home for all money. Bill was already heading for the tote when about 100m out a stupid bloke standing near the rail threw his tickets on the track and the wind blew them in front of the horses and Jocasta shied and crashed through the running rail. Noel was lucky he was not seriously hurt. When I turned around Bill was lying on the ground with his head in his hands having just seen $1000 disappear. Dee Dee and Urupukapuka were a couple of my favourites.

Was Bill Oppenheimer working in NZ at the time? If so doing what?

I met Bill at Riccarton about then. He was in the company of Tim Langer, young Bloodstock Agent based in Christchurch who around the same time found and introduced Sir Tristram to Patrick Hogan and the rest is history. 

Good God that must be about 45 + years ago!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Charlie Bukowski said:

Paul Sugden , Ocean Monarch , won the New Years Day Highweight at Ellerslie ?

Or was it Bonnybard winning the same race the year before or after ?

Lance Douglas another apprentice out of the Des Riordan barn

 

Gary Bell rode Ocean Monarch on both days to win at Ellerslie.

Bonnybard won 1 race from memory for Des at Paeroa riddeb by Howie Mathews.

Paul Sugden rode 1 winner i think and it may have been Sir Charlie of Doncast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.