RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Chris Wood

Poly track at Cambridge

Any doubters on our new track at Cambridge, check this out!
Between 4.00am yesterday and 4.00pm,  90mm of rain fell and the track was absolutely perfect this morning.

It bodes well for the upcoming winter, and I see Riccarton  is coming along in leaps and bounds to.

Edited by Chris Wood

That's the big selling point of all-weather surfaces of whatever kind.

You can't do much about fog or high winds but it should be possible to race in all other circumstances - unfortunately, the British AW tracks have lost meetings to snow, frost and waterlogging though these haven't always been on the track itself. 

There was only one thing that I was annoyed about and that was the circumference was too small, as was the width of the track and the length of the straight. I've been a supporter of having at least 20 runners in a race because betting sky rockets when you do. You might argue where do we get 20 runners but that's not the point, it's all about the betting. To get this number of runners you need a wide track. Then you need a long straight because on artificial tracks you don't really want horses accelerating round bends. Lots of breakage at a time when we need to protect the image of horse racing. Also with a long straight, barrier draw bias changes.

Other thing to consider is that dirt track racing is quite boring as there is quite often a bias as the track matures.

Just saying....

Really, I can’t quite work this one out, too hard last week, swapped days with CAMBRIDGE, transferred from Tuesday to Thursday because of predicted rain, then a hole in the track, or slippery surface?
At what cost to connections? 
Floats, they don’t take a backward step, discounted rate, not likely.

Feel for the club, but any dithering should  raise a white flag in my mind!

We seem to have one bumble after the other, things in NZ racing are not oozing with confidence sadly!
And then there is Australia..... Messara pulls out another trump card today......