RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nerula

DIA - TAB Disgusting!!!!

Heading for a bigger shit storm than we've been through before by the look of it.

Henry and Brooks should be in jail and yet they get put forward !!

You're right Nerula , we'll be off to the DIA for a punt soon cos the TAB can't get their shit together.

Robertson isn't going to f*** around , he's still spewing Winston gifted them all that money.

Watch out. 

Nice work The Optimist ,it's a pity this bloke doesn't get more support.

Sickening stuff. The industry owes a lot to Brain de Lore for keeping us up to date, no one else is doing anything.

It is such a bloody mess. I cannot understand how the TAB ever came to be running the racing industry. They always used to be just a service organisation. They have no skills or aptitude for running the whole industry, they can't even manage gambling properly.

Staggered at Robertson's suggestion that nominees for the board don't need to have any racing knowledge. I can't think of a single example where that has worked in the past.

It sounds like from Brian's piece that only half a dozen or so of the nominees are actually racing people.

Is it right that he is suggesting that NZTR could actually pull away from the TAB and align with an Aussie TAB, leaving the dogs and trots and sport to nominate whoever they like to the TAB and do their own thing? Hopefully NZTR take their share of equity from the TAB with them when they go.

One thing that is apparent is that it is about time important industry bodies such as the trainers and owners organisations stand up for themselves and stop ignoring everything going on around them. There is a fair bit of fiddling going on while Rome burns. I don't think we have any more second chances left. The cat has lost 8 of its lives.

The arrogance and ineptitude shown here is astounding, but perhaps not surprising.

Q1. Have the codes done this in a responsible way ? ( Shame the names were not included in the article.)

In the Racing News story, Robertson said: “I expect each member of the board to have the expertise, including fiduciary and commercial experience, to enable a bright future for the racing and sports sectors.

“Candidates need not come from within the industry, as has generally happened in the past, and I’m asking the racing codes to nominate candidates with the skills and experience to ensure best governance practices.

Q2. Hughes et Al obviously still believe they were correct in the actions they took...talk about deluded....🙈

Why any of them are still in the Racing game in any capacity is a mystery, and says a lot about the codes who decided to re employ them in these roles.

Most will be aware that Greyhounds CEO Glenda Hughes, and new Harness CEO Gary Woodham, along with Henry and Brooks, were all part of the NZRB team that built the FOB platform. They were all party to approving the ongoing commitments to Paddy Power and Openbet, which has cost the racing industry an estimated $200 million – money that belonged to heartland racing people, which went down the drain.

All four names were belatedly given ‘the shove’ for very good reason, and genuine supporters of those two codes along with the thoroughbred code should be appalled that these people haven’t been warned off all racing involvement –  instead, they are like a bad smell that won’t go away, and are now trying to bully their way back into TAB governance.

1 hour ago, Ohokaman said:

The arrogance and ineptitude shown here is astounding, but perhaps not surprising.

Q1. Have the codes done this in a responsible way ? ( Shame the names were not included in the article.)

In the Racing News story, Robertson said: “I expect each member of the board to have the expertise, including fiduciary and commercial experience, to enable a bright future for the racing and sports sectors.

“Candidates need not come from within the industry, as has generally happened in the past, and I’m asking the racing codes to nominate candidates with the skills and experience to ensure best governance practices.

Q2. Hughes et Al obviously still believe they were correct in the actions they took...talk about deluded....🙈

Why any of them are still in the Racing game in any capacity is a mystery, and says a lot about the codes who decided to re employ them in these roles.

Most will be aware that Greyhounds CEO Glenda Hughes, and new Harness CEO Gary Woodham, along with Henry and Brooks, were all part of the NZRB team that built the FOB platform. They were all party to approving the ongoing commitments to Paddy Power and Openbet, which has cost the racing industry an estimated $200 million – money that belonged to heartland racing people, which went down the drain.

All four names were belatedly given ‘the shove’ for very good reason, and genuine supporters of those two codes along with the thoroughbred code should be appalled that these people haven’t been warned off all racing involvement –  instead, they are like a bad smell that won’t go away, and are now trying to bully their way back into TAB governance.

You wonder whether Hughes and her mates are now fully aware that they are unemployable anywhere else. The fact that Allen didn't take any of them with him this time is probably indicative of the fact that even he realises they are toxic; although I imagine that when he was employed by his new lot he was told not to bring any of his cronies with him. How ironic is it that Wellington must be one of the few organisations worse run than the TAB. He has certainly found his level.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

You wonder whether Hughes and her mates are now fully aware that they are unemployable anywhere else. The fact that Allen didn't take any of them with him this time is probably indicative of the fact that even he realises they are toxic; although I imagine that when he was employed by his new lot he was told not to bring any of his cronies with him. How ironic is it that Wellington must be one of the few organisations worse run than the TAB. He has certainly found his level.

You do wonder about the reasoning behind this arrogant pushing of the two people involved, even after they had been rejected.  Robertsons comment about having “skills and experience to ensure best governance practices” seems to be a disqualifier on its own.
A bit of narcissism involved maybe....”we know better than you do..” attitude....?
Or just wanting to be at the coalface to change perceptions or right some wrongs, or just be in a position to hijack any good ideas.....??? 🤔

Its critical to get the right people to lead. Not some retread, political hack or trougher - and also someone who is overseas is deficient.

Owners Fed is calling for C George to step down from TR board chair. Its understandable his appointment was the get Jackson and Carter moved on. But that achieved working in Oz with the Warriors means he cant do the NZTR Board justice.

You could trot out ZOOM meetings as an option. I've had experience with ZOOM meetings and the descend into tedious talkfests. Leadership tends to monopolise the discussion and resolutions not made. George cant/shouldnt do NZTR justice from remote control in Oz at this critical time.

It's a bit sad that only six people on here find this subject at all interesting. Unless grassroots racing people start to stand up for themselves these totally uninvested people with no racing passion, and only interested in some directors fees, will destroy this industry. We have seen enough of what can happen already. How can the industry let itself be run into the ground by a bunch of John Allen clones?

The fact is WRD that the industry participants have sat on their hands for years and have let it happen and their silence and inaction is the primary cause

I guess the industry participants are happy with 7 to 10k races week after week, but the day will come when they won't be as they will have no owners and then they will yell from the rooftops, but all to late

One just cannot take NZ racing seriously as it is sick and on its death bed, close it down 

The problem has been that many of us fought tooth and nail to change the Racing Bills and Acts over the last 30 odd years, where we were accusing the governments of trying to vest the TAB's ownership with the government. The monumental change has always happened on Labour's watch. After fighting as hard as we could, and with nobody listening, it becomes jaundicing to see what is currently happening. There doesn't seem to be a solution.

Reality check. Many of us that have bred and raced horses for some time have long felt that the incapacity of the RIB and the TAB to sort NZ racing out is so great that we either sell or race in Australia. The nature of DIA involvement as such, (Department Of Internal Affairs), is so embarrassingly stupid and implausible that it is involved so heavily in the decision process that we are disillusioned and we change our ownership positions to suit. We either sell the horses, or most of, and race them in Australia, Why wouldn’t we, can still be a maiden and have returned stakes of $68k Aus, win a race and get to town and have nearly $90K in the gross account.

Raced a good mare, wins 5 races and don’t cover her training fees. Jackson Street in Petone don’t understand the the process of racing, The previous Chair didn’t, the previous 3 CEO’s didn’t, and we have now incurred the knowledge of a Minister Of Racing that knows little about economics, let along our industry, but gratefully we should acknowledge, has some advice that there are not the required calibre of the 40 odd applicants to form a board for the TAB. Thank goodness for that I say. A long way to go there, and maybe we are responsible for our destiny. I would’ve loved to have an ear of a parliamentarian (that would listen) over the last decade and we would still have a reserve account balance, Key didn’t listen. But many have previously tried, seem we are unheard.

Get some skills on a Board and things happen, but they have to be appropriate skills, with the right expertise and the right decisions will be executed. Forget the DIA, they know nothing about our industry, never have done, but are the fall guys for various political hacks that know nothing about the portfolios they hold. 

Would you go to a dentist and ask about your liver or hip  problem? Ask yourself 

cheers

John 

23 minutes ago, John Clydesdale said:

Reality check. Many of us that have bred and raced horses for some time have long felt that the incapacity of the RIB and the TAB to sort NZ racing out is so great that we either sell or race in Australia. The nature of DIA involvement as such, (Department Of Internal Affairs), is so embarrassingly stupid and implausible that it is involved so heavily in the decision process that we are disillusioned and we change our ownership positions to suit. We either sell the horses, or most of, and race them in Australia, Why wouldn’t we, can still be a maiden and have returned stakes of $68k Aus, win a race and get to town and have nearly $90K in the gross account.

Raced a good mare, wins 5 races and don’t cover her training fees. Jackson Street in Petone don’t understand the the process of racing, The previous Chair didn’t, the previous 3 CEO’s didn’t, and we have now incurred the knowledge of a Minister Of Racing that knows little about economics, let along our industry, but gratefully we should acknowledge, has some advice that there are not the required calibre of the 40 odd applicants to form a board for the TAB. Thank goodness for that I say. A long way to go there, and maybe we are responsible for our destiny. I would’ve loved to have an ear of a parliamentarian (that would listen) over the last decade and we would still have a reserve account balance, Key didn’t listen. But many have previously tried, seem we are unheard.

Get some skills on a Board and things happen, but they have to be appropriate skills, with the right expertise and the right decisions will be executed. Forget the DIA, they know nothing about our industry, never have done, but are the fall guys for various political hacks that know nothing about the portfolios they hold. 

Would you go to a dentist and ask about your liver or hip  problem? Ask yourself 

cheers

John 

No Christmas card from Winston for you then John...!
Robertson is still pissed that they had to give the Racing Industry $70m so will be all over these appointments and future performance. Telling codes the applicants “ need not have industry experience” shows his preference for more bean counters.

On 3/31/2021 at 10:14 PM, We're Doomed said:

It's a bit sad that only six people on here find this subject at all interesting. Unless grassroots racing people start to stand up for themselves these totally uninvested people with no racing passion, and only interested in some directors fees, will destroy this industry. We have seen enough of what can happen already. How can the industry let itself be run into the ground by a bunch of John Allen clones?

What makes you think that the amount of posters on a topic is an accurate representation of the people interested in it? Plenty of us read (1,500 views!) but give the doom and gloom reply a miss - I'm pretty sure you know these things but prefer to be as provocative as possible. Why's that? 

Why don't you apply for any positions in the governance of the industry? (Or, am I mistaken and you have in the past?). You seem to have an eye for detail with some of the things you notice, and seem to think you have identified the cause of the issue in most cases. As has previously been said, the pay isn't bad and it can't be hard to do better than some of the previous administrators, right?

1 hour ago, soliloquy said:

What makes you think that the amount of posters on a topic is an accurate representation of the people interested in it? Plenty of us read (1,500 views!) but give the doom and gloom reply a miss - I'm pretty sure you know these things but prefer to be as provocative as possible. Why's that? 

Why don't you apply for any positions in the governance of the industry? (Or, am I mistaken and you have in the past?). You seem to have an eye for detail with some of the things you notice, and seem to think you have identified the cause of the issue in most cases. As has previously been said, the pay isn't bad and it can't be hard to do better than some of the previous administrators, right?

Common sense alone would never get us elected ! 🙈 🤣

13 hours ago, soliloquy said:

I am actually a very positive person, and I see lots of positive things about the Racing industry.

Nobody on this forum would qualify for any governance positions as we all have a passion for Racing and a certain amount of knowledge about the industry, and a sense of the history of the industry. I owned my first horse in about 1985. Times were different back then, but it is important that people understand where the industry has come from and what it once was.

These days a knowledge of Racing and any interest in it as a sport is not considered relevant or important. I'm afraid I don't agree with that approach, so call me negative if you like.

Back in the day I used to attend race-meetings virtually every Saturday. I wonder how many race-meetings John Allen attended during his time at the helm. I wonder if it was even considered to be a requirement of the position

You may rightly argue that an interest in Racing isn't important as long as you are a great manager. Unfortunately the industry has never attracted great managers.

I agree with the statement the old website was OK. 

Re the Racing Minister, I once had a meeting with a previous holder of this position and pre Winston. 

He was driven halfway across the country in his chauffeur driven BMW along with his black suited advisor. We had given his office a brief on exactly what our questions were and why we needed the information about the subject. 

He was not only the racing minister but held several other titles. 

He was useless, was not and did not answer any one of our questions, he kept deferring to his offsider who said we cannot answer that but will get back to you. 

Then back in the car Eddie and gone. 

So in my mind the number one man is given the job but they are not racing people, they have several other portfolios, they have background staff pulling the strings and advising them. 

So don't hang your hat on them improving racing or making recommendations or rational decisions. 

Unfortunately it is generally just a job not a passion. 

12 minutes ago, Womby said:

I agree with the statement the old website was OK. 

Re the Racing Minister, I once had a meeting with a previous holder of this position and pre Winston. 

He was driven halfway across the country in his chauffeur driven BMW along with his black suited advisor. We had given his office a brief on exactly what our questions were and why we needed the information about the subject. 

He was not only the racing minister but held several other titles. 

He was useless, was not and did not answer any one of our questions, he kept deferring to his offsider who said we cannot answer that but will get back to you. 

Then back in the car Eddie and gone. 

So in my mind the number one man is given the job but they are not racing people, they have several other portfolios, they have background staff pulling the strings and advising them. 

So don't hang your hat on them improving racing or making recommendations or rational decisions. 

Unfortunately it is generally just a job not a passion. 

You are actually starting to see the same with farming,fuckers in suits sitting on their arses coming up with half baked ideas  onhow to farm.some of the ideas floated recently just ain't practical.