RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Uriah Heap

Halberg Sports Awards

12 hours ago, Uriah Heap said:

"Sports Moment of the Decade" was awarded to two rowers; Cohen and Sullivan.

I don't recall them, or their sporting "moment". I can recall plenty of other great NZ moments in the past decade.

Fair comment I guess ,cos an independent poll saw them about 6th on list with Grant Elliot's winning 6 v South Africa [World Cup Semi] being #1.

But the Jo Sullivan story is a brilliant one in my book.........not popular in rowing cos of his lack of size ,he and Cohen won the spot for the Olympics but were not fancied at all They made the final but were last at the halfway stage but somehow stormed thru the field and won Gold.

It was an amazing performance......winning gold at Olympics is special and gives the Sportsman extra kudos in any awards.

The rowers return to NZ and their sport and still Jo Sullivan , the Prince of Picton , is told he is too small and dumped from elite rowing.

He resumes a 'normal life' joins the fire service is saving lives etc and a mate at gym notices his power and tells him to try out for AC yachting as a grinder.

He does ,gets selected for Bermuda ,helps win the AC and repeats the dose last week in 2021.

IMO a modest and humble champion who deserved this recognition .

IMO Olympic gold from nowhere outpoints a lucky slog at cricket as McCullum also one of the contenders !

11 hours ago, tasman man said:

Fair comment I guess ,cos an independent poll saw them about 6th on list with Grant Elliot's winning 6 v South Africa [World Cup Semi] being #1.

But the Jo Sullivan story is a brilliant one in my book.........not popular in rowing cos of his lack of size ,he and Cohen won the spot for the Olympics but were not fancied at all They made the final but were last at the halfway stage but somehow stormed thru the field and won Gold.

It was an amazing performance......winning gold at Olympics is special and gives the Sportsman extra kudos in any awards.

The rowers return to NZ and their sport and still Jo Sullivan , the Prince of Picton , is told he is too small and dumped from elite rowing.

He resumes a 'normal life' joins the fire service is saving lives etc and a mate at gym notices his power and tells him to try out for AC yachting as a grinder.

He does ,gets selected for Bermuda ,helps win the AC and repeats the dose last week in 2021.

IMO a modest and humble champion who deserved this recognition .

IMO Olympic gold from nowhere outpoints a lucky slog at cricket as McCullum also one of the contenders !

That's the type of story I like. He sounds a good man, from a great part of NZ.

However in regard to the Halbergs the key word is "Moment" and there were far more memorable "moments" that resonated with Kiwi's throughout the past decade.

1 hour ago, Uriah Heap said:

That's the type of story I like. He sounds a good man, from a great part of NZ.

However in regard to the Halbergs the key word is "Moment" and there were far more memorable "moments" that resonated with Kiwi's throughout the past decade.

Agree......follow your logic ,but often Kiwis resonate with the hype sports/moments that receive the media attention eg rugby , cricket and nitball etc which are 'true' team sports.

Dig deeper and individual performances from sports like golf , motorsport , skiing ,snowsports, squash etc should trump these everytime.

Halberg Awards and other recognition usually goes to Olympic Sports in Olympic years.

All nominations are great achievements ,and I dont see the point in crticising one to promote another.

The Elliot six was 'fantastic'....I was there......BUT it wasn't a Final ,a gold medal moment. 

Few individuals or teams at a World Champs or Olympic Final would come from last at the halfway stage ! 

These awards are comparing apples and oranges...not easy.....but they not life or death either !