RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nerula

A new deduction on stakes coming

The new season see a 1% deduction on stakes to fund the Horse Welfare Scheme. Not much you say?

But say stakes are 55 million. the deduction is $550,000  pa that wont go to Owners and Licencees. They need to pay attention where it goes.

Obviously there will be data collection and there is talk of a horse "warrant of fitness" that will eat up a lot of the fund. We have seen the empire build in the RIU so what will happen here?

It is past time TAB gets its shit together and they and NZTR come out with meaningful budgets and forecasts that show an sustainable increase in stakes

1 hour ago, Trump said:

Owners will be funding horse welfare through a Stakes Levy. 

Totally illogical. A random way of doing it. Why not a set fee per starter or something similar?

I can almost guarantee it was formulated by the same chap who came up with the idea of paying a starters fee, but only back to 14th.

There is some rogue nutter, probably with multiple degrees, who is coming up with a lot of these NZTR ideas. The common theme they have is that they are totally illogical.

So I suppose this means that only the first 14 horses home pay a welfare levy. The last horse home in a big field pays nothing, but that is probably the horse who is most tired and probably most likely to need welfare.

I have been saying for quite a while that the industry is being very poorly run. Surely more people will wake up to that fact in due course.

I'm not sure why there's a gripe here.

The ATC over in Sydney have had a system for at least the last couple of years whereby a portion of any given race stake has been set aside not just for the Equine Welfare Fund but also for the Jockey Welfare Fund.

The comditions for this year's Doncaster, eg, are as follows:

CONDITIONS

PRIZE MONEY $A3,000,000

Open Handicap
Apprentices cannot claim
Nomination: $A180
Late Nomination: $A8,250
First Acceptance: $A250
Final Acceptance: $A11,550

1st $A1,740,000
2nd $A565,000
3rd $A295,000
4th $A135,000
5th $75,000
6th-8th $A30,000
9th-10th $A20,000

Equine Welfare Fund $A30,000
Jockey Welfare Fund $A30,000

Given that the racing industry wouldn't survive without either the equines or the jockeys, I'd have thought you'd all have been in favour of such an initiative.

Every race at The Championships has a (pro rata) deduction from the gross stake:

http://www.thechampionships.com.au/racing-information/race-conditions.aspx

8 minutes ago, Disillusioned said:

I'm not sure why there's a gripe here.

The ATC over in Sydney have had a system for at least the last couple of years whereby a portion of any given race stake has been set aside not just for the Equine Welfare Fund but also for the Jockey Welfare Fund.

The comditions for this year's Doncaster, eg, are as follows:

CONDITIONS

PRIZE MONEY $A3,000,000

Open Handicap
Apprentices cannot claim
Nomination: $A180
Late Nomination: $A8,250
First Acceptance: $A250
Final Acceptance: $A11,550

1st $A1,740,000
2nd $A565,000
3rd $A295,000
4th $A135,000
5th $75,000
6th-8th $A30,000
9th-10th $A20,000

Equine Welfare Fund $A30,000
Jockey Welfare Fund $A30,000

Given that the racing industry wouldn't survive without either the equines or the jockeys, I'd have thought you'd all have been in favour of such an initiative.

Every race at The Championships has a (pro rata) deduction from the gross stake:

http://www.thechampionships.com.au/racing-information/race-conditions.aspx

The sizeable difference in stakes. They are already so low, yet another deduction is not very favourable. Yes, it is definitely required and important to the industry's survival, but a bit of communication, and perhaps consultation with the industry on the best way to raise funds might be a better way forward. I see the Uk has an organisation that coordinates horse welfare that is a registered charity. Given the Tab would cease to have a product without the horses, perhaps a grant from pokie machine profits might help fund such an organisation if set up in NZ? 

Does anyone know what exactly the welfare fund will cover or are the deductions going to be collected prior to that being clearly defined?

4 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Totally illogical. A random way of doing it. Why not a set fee per starter or something similar?

I can almost guarantee it was formulated by the same chap who came up with the idea of paying a starters fee, but only back to 14th.

There is some rogue nutter, probably with multiple degrees, who is coming up with a lot of these NZTR ideas. The common theme they have is that they are totally illogical.

So I suppose this means that only the first 14 horses home pay a welfare levy. The last horse home in a big field pays nothing, but that is probably the horse who is most tired and probably most likely to need welfare.

I have been saying for quite a while that the industry is being very poorly run. Surely more people will wake up to that fact in due course.

If the main racing jurisdictions in Oz (viz, Qld , NSW and Vic 3%) all have deductions for Their Horse Welfare and Jockeys fund, why can’t NZ do it? Sure stakes are still a big concern but so is the welfare of horses and jockeys. 

I support a welfare fund, the issue is the current pathetic 10k stakes. AND it is very concerning the lack of clarity about an improvement therein.

I put this issue up as well as the paying down to 14th then pocketing the stakes if the field doest make 14.

What we are now seeing is big gaps in programs due to lack of horses - in say 2000m maidens. More horses are being exported.

Due to low stakes we are rushing toward mediocrity. And implosion

3 hours ago, Nerula said:

I support a welfare fund, the issue is the current pathetic 10k stakes. AND it is very concerning the lack of clarity about an improvement therein.

I put this issue up as well as the paying down to 14th then pocketing the stakes if the field doest make 14.

What we are now seeing is big gaps in programs due to lack of horses - in say 2000m maidens. More horses are being exported.

Agree, the paying down to 14th imho, many may regard as a magicians trick. With average field being about 11, I dream of how much they are saving. However, if it is being applied elsewhere for “Stakes”, then I would be ok with that. But ultimately, everything with regards to $$$$ should always be 100% transparent to all stakeholders. 

5 hours ago, Nerula said:

And with the piss poor stakes by the time you add up all the fees for travelling to a race meeting etc...there is stuff all left...would hate to think in a stable charging $80 to $100 a day how many times you need to win in a year to even hope to break even...it is becoming untenable to race them ...so who can blame people for taking the money and running. I believe and always have some of the sale proceeds should have to stay in the industry or be paid as a tax...once the horse is gone NZ gets zero from it....and one less horse to make up a field.

scooby 3051 our stakes levels remain pitiful. Nigel Tiley is downsizing his team at the end of May. He has already sent some of his better horses to Australia. Riding The Wave is now in Victoria with Lindsay Smith and has won about $160,000 since being relocated. This trend will continue unless stakes are dramatically lifted.