RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Rusty

Ellerslie, New Years Day 1985

3 hours ago, Rusty said:

Can anyone please help me out by answering this question? 

January 1st 1985 at Ellerslie - 

Which horse won the DB Export Handicap on this day?

Many thanks in advance. 

It was won by Imperial Phoenix. Same Jockey as the Cup winner. Paid $8.75 and $3.05

Interesting how fast Haub's call was. Don't recall him being that quick but time does bend your memory somewhat. George is a bit slower I think. Tony Lee seemed delibarately half paced yesterday - not a knock on any of them, just interesting to note the different styles of callers, from different eras. 

12 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Gee that field won a few "Cups" between them. Horses certainly had longevity in those days. The only name I didn't remember was Middle Ridge, who was pretty prominent in the finish.

Middie Ridge wasn't around long from memory. He was a horse that came up the grades very quickly in a short amount time then disappeared
I'm sure he started in the 85 Cup as one of the favourites along with the Ray & Sharon Johnson trained Secret Ace.
I can't recall who trained him? Gary Grylls rode him frequently.

1 hour ago, Baz (NZ) said:

Middie Ridge wasn't around long from memory. He was a horse that came up the grades very quickly in a short amount time then disappeared
I'm sure he started in the 85 Cup as one of the favourites along with the Ray & Sharon Johnson trained Secret Ace.
I can't recall who trained him? Gary Grylls rode him frequently.

Bill and Mark Weal trained Middle Ridge Run a track record i think first up at Te Aroha from memory.

By Guest of Honour  and like a lot of them had back problems.