RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
gubellini

Ocean Billy Auckland Cup win

A remarkable training effort by Bill Pomare to win the Auckland Cup yesterday with Ocean Billy. Even more remarkable is that the last two Cup winners have come from small Bay Of Plenty stables. I would say that there would be less than 100 horses trained in the Bay Of Plenty these days.

Congratulations Billy Pomare.

I was there yesterday and congrats also to Paul Wilcox.  He did not know until about 11.40 a.m. Friday whether the races would be full on.  I noticed that the food stalls, bars, tote staff and ancilliary staff were all run cleanly, efficiently and fully stocked.  Staff were there adhering to OSH stuff in a polite and efficient manner.  This was great organisation, especially when one considers the seemingly impossible time constraints.

If our government had half a brain they would pinch Wilcox off the Auckland Racing Club and have him run the Ministry of Health.  That ministry's woeful vaccination policies and their awful Kung Flu administration need somebody like Wilcox to get them moving.

2 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

I was there yesterday and congrats also to Paul Wilcox.  He did not know until about 11.40 a.m. Friday whether the races would be full on.  I noticed that the food stalls, bars, tote staff and ancilliary staff were all run cleanly, efficiently and fully stocked.  Staff were there adhering to OSH stuff in a polite and efficient manner.  This was great organisation, especially when one considers the seemingly impossible time constraints.

If our government had half a brain they would pinch Wilcox off the Auckland Racing Club and have him run the Ministry of Health.  That ministry's woeful vaccination policies and their awful Kung Flu administration need somebody like Wilcox to get them moving.

What are you on Nottsy ???

Wilcox is not a govt brown noser , He should be CEO of ALL the Clubs in the North Island !!

7 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

While what you say is true TN, I was in the Ascot area yesterday and estimate probably only half the crowd compared to KM meeting. On that basis you'd expect things to run well. Food still poor though.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

While what you say is true TN, I was in the Ascot area yesterday and estimate probably only half the crowd compared to KM meeting. On that basis you'd expect things to run well. Food still poor though.

Where I was the food was basic but IMO adequate...obviously the limited prep time was an influence.Mainly pies and sandwiches , fish and chips and pizzas. I went for the Chicken and rice. OK. ...good coffee.

The unlimited buffet and booze deal at a premium price downstairs apparently went down well.

I thought the racing was excellent and the overall ambience very good.

Track seemed good too.

A rare error on main results board when they put up #1 as second instead of the Sanders horse which was #7.It was up for about 2 x minutes !

3 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Magnificient result.  Congratulations Bill

Totally agree, salt of the earth.  And also to Stephen Ralph--obviously an unheralded "champion" trainer with the results he achieves from a small stable of horses which have not cost millions.🙂 One of the best since Chris Turner (Veandercross) 

On 3/14/2021 at 12:28 PM, Charlie Bukowski said:

What are you on Nottsy ???

Wilcox is not a govt brown noser , He should be CEO of ALL the Clubs in the North Island !!

Including Wellington PLEASE!

4 hours ago, Memphis3 said:

They will love Bill in Sydney if he goes. 

Everybody loves a battler or someone from other side of rails with a good horse...the real characters ....often a bit different.

But maybe sometimes in NZ we only allow so much success for these 'gems' before the TPS / resentment kicks in.

Bob McCosh with Bob's Luck , Mokapuna etc was much loved during the odd wet winter....I remember the photo of Bob , long Oilskin coat , big Bill Pomare hat , gumboots ,riding off down the muddy Ellerslie straight on Bob's Luck on his way home...brilliant.

I also remember Sir Slicks trainer ,Showgates owner/trainer and others with different methods being publicly roasted for their methods when they got too much success !

7 hours ago, tasman man said:

Everybody loves a battler or someone from other side of rails with a good horse...the real characters ....often a bit different.

But maybe sometimes in NZ we only allow so much success for these 'gems' before the TPS / resentment kicks in.

Bob McCosh with Bob's Luck , Mokapuna etc was much loved during the odd wet winter....I remember the photo of Bob , long Oilskin coat , big Bill Pomare hat , gumboots ,riding off down the muddy Ellerslie straight on Bob's Luck on his way home...brilliant.

I also remember Sir Slicks trainer ,Showgates owner/trainer and others with different methods being publicly roasted for their methods when they got too much success !

Sir Slick now that was a horse and half , loved watching him run and cheering him on , anyone know if he's still knocking about in a paddock ?  Even had a trip to HK .