RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Value Bell

Haha.....two photos from 1965 of successful South Island folk/horses .

Recent posts on RACECAFE are indicating that South Island having some sort of resurgence in NZ racing when in fact the reverse is true........small town Syndrome coming thru.

Back when above photos taken.....John [not Jim] Dowling was leading apprentice in NZ then one of topNZ jockeys.

DP Wilson considered one of NZ's top and most astute trainers.

And Palisade ,one of NZ's best stayers.

This trio were among the best when the South Island enjoyed a lot of success.

Trainers.......Rex Cochrane and Ted Winsloe and Hec Anderton and Bill Hillis among the top trainers.Bill Hazlett a top owner.

Jockeys.....Bob Skelton tops before he too drifted north !

Stayers.....Palisade.....overshadowed by deeds of Great Sensation, Baghdad Note and a host of others

Then the Sanders , O'Sullivans ,Verners etc took over.

The vibrant training centres of Gore ,Wingatui ,Washdyke  mere shadows of their former selves.

The Collets , Peter Williams ,the Richards' all gone north.

THe Pitmans , Couplands ,BJAnderton and CWJohnson just keep the South hanging on.

At least Cup week at Riccarton still a highpoint , clinging to the apron strings of Southern domination of Harness !

ps...I been a South Islander for nearly 90% of my life !

Its sad !

2 hours ago, tasman man said:

Haha.....two photos from 1965 of successful South Island folk/horses .

Recent posts on RACECAFE are indicating that South Island having some sort of resurgence in NZ racing when in fact the reverse is true........small town Syndrome coming thru.

Back when above photos taken.....John [not Jim] Dowling was leading apprentice in NZ then one of topNZ jockeys.

DP Wilson considered one of NZ's top and most astute trainers.

And Palisade ,one of NZ's best stayers.

This trio were among the best when the South Island enjoyed a lot of success.

Trainers.......Rex Cochrane and Ted Winsloe and Hec Anderton and Bill Hillis among the top trainers.Bill Hazlett a top owner.

Jockeys.....Bob Skelton tops before he too drifted north !

Stayers.....Palisade.....overshadowed by deeds of Great Sensation, Baghdad Note and a host of others

Then the Sanders , O'Sullivans ,Verners etc took over.

The vibrant training centres of Gore ,Wingatui ,Washdyke  mere shadows of their former selves.

The Collets , Peter Williams ,the Richards' all gone north.

THe Pitmans , Couplands ,BJAnderton and CWJohnson just keep the South hanging on.

At least Cup week at Riccarton still a highpoint , clinging to the apron strings of Southern domination of Harness !

ps...I been a South Islander for nearly 90% of my life !

Its sad !

Do you think the $16m AWT will see a return to the glory days Tas?

57 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Do you think the $16m AWT will see a return to the glory days Tas?

I have no strong opinions on logic and costings of AWT at Riccarton.

But I do believe way too many tracks in South Island .......and also the calendar and programming needs looking at.

I guess the AWT 'could 'future proof the Industry somewhat......there will be certainty that there will be all round training and racing available at Riccarton so trainers best be based there. And good idea to improve infrastructure in the chosen tracks .

Riccarton track /soil has had issues for sometime...also seasons/weather seem to be changing.

My preference would be for a strathayr track.

Other personal views.....The Cup week still by far and away the best carnival in NZ.

South doesn't seem to develop/grow too many jockeys.

I'd have thought Washdyke could be retained and improved....serves Harness as well.

Northern horses still seem to be being sent South for better opportunities....there are too many slow horses in NZ now....and dont South horses struggle for starts ?Please explain !

I'd need to look at the numbers but as Aussie is so close and the racing so bouyant and NZ racing so reliant on TAB betting numbers , the promotion of more Aussie betting could be more profitable than 'slow' slugs running around NZ tracks who race twice a year. !

NZ owners very resilient the returns/stakes are pathetic .

I can understand why Winstone gave the $$$ for AWT cos the excuse was frequent a few years back that postponed races and meetings were hurting the TAB......other things were hurting them much more ! But Winnie wanted to help [ and win votes !]

A mishmash of thoughts as I digest the TV news and yachting loss !

Finally......Abraham Lincoln quote...You dont make the poor rich by making the rich poor !

I'm looking forward to the Auckland Cup this Saturday...top horses , top trainers ,top jockeys ,top facilities...good stakes.Yes heavily subsidised but that club deserves it...looking to improve ,looking to future proof the Industry.......and some of those races low on numbers because nomination/acceptance fees charged still...rare in NZ.

Designed to keep the slugs out but can discourage folk from having a crack ,tho Kenny Moore not deterred ,nor the lady who won the Open handicap last week.

Good luck to them ,I say !

21 hours ago, tasman man said:

Dont forget Riverton where Big Bill ruled the roost. Some fantastic horses trained out of there  Mind you in those days Cochrane and Winsloe had farmers  as clients. In those days you could made plenty doing it so they had plenty of disposable income to shell out.

Not really relevant to our NZ situation, but my mate at Gold Coast sent me this yesterday about their new grass track.

By the way, Gold Coast is out of action. After the Magic Millions they top dressed it with sand. However the sand was beach sand and hadn't been washed. Hence all the salt leached out and killed the grass. Two people were sacked for this.  And so they should.
The current plan is to do nothing and pray that the rain we're having washes the salt down into the sand sub layers on the track.
Alternatively they start all over again, for which they have zero budget.

We are not alone with things that go wrong!

47 minutes ago, Peter R S said:

Not really relevant to our NZ situation, but my mate at Gold Coast sent me this yesterday about their new grass track.

By the way, Gold Coast is out of action. After the Magic Millions they top dressed it with sand. However the sand was beach sand and hadn't been washed. Hence all the salt leached out and killed the grass. Two people were sacked for this.  And so they should.
The current plan is to do nothing and pray that the rain we're having washes the salt down into the sand sub layers on the track.
Alternatively they start all over again, for which they have zero budget.

We are not alone with things that go wrong!

Holy Hell 😒