RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Kingshill

Racing - Top of the south island

https://www.racingnews.co.nz/new-home-away-from-home-for-marlborough-cup/

Link above to interesting article regarding racing in Blenheim/Nelson region. 

If the economy in the region is as good as they say, is this a opportunity to reinvent racing there with a big carnival or two with BIG stakes to attract the good horse's? 

Give them a couple of good Saturday dates, not Fridays, Mondays etc..... 

Beautiful part of the country and but when visiting there and driving around it's hard to even spot a horse in a paddock. 

8 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Gisborne/Wairoa has been eliminated,  sadly, I see little chance of resurrecting Blenheim.

Its not on the grand plan.

Nelson/Blenheim circuits were very popular. 

Nelson folded about 1988.

Few if any trainers in area back then [J.Healy] and the Club held a meeting at Avondale to try and stay solvent !

I guess the club made a huge mistake about 1901 when theJockey Club sold its land to the Nelson A &P Society.

Resulted in Jockey and Harness clubs paying hefty rents to race there.

Marlborough Clubs better off financially but still a long way from Horse population.

They are an important area if/when issues with Inter-island ferry.

Their gallops meetings helped considerably in recent years by North Island trainers especially KMyers .

But something about the area , as per Kingshill alludes to .....not a horse 'culture'.

Between boxing day and end of January the region explodes in population.......half of Christchurch goes to Nelson .

Hence its a good place then to hold racing ....iconic days ......Westport trots, Kumara Races, Nelson and Marlborough Trots enjoy good turnover.

As does Kaikoura ,once a year early November.

But as per other times of year forget it.

Must cost the TAB a 'small fortune' to drag its equipment and people to the area.....add the cost of Nelson rent and I doubt it adds up !

A great area to drink wine and go tramping and kayaking !

Edited by tasman man
Avondale

Dates are very important, huge crowd at coast trots boxing day, but their Friday march meeting will probably struggle to hold it's own, that's because it will be just local support, they to lost their gallops in 1996, just like Nelson, shame as I thought that track was  good, with a nice long straight 

13 hours ago, Shad said:

Dates are very important, huge crowd at coast trots boxing day, but their Friday march meeting will probably struggle to hold it's own, that's because it will be just local support, they to lost their gallops in 1996, just like Nelson, shame as I thought that track was  good, with a nice long straight 

Almost certainly the best track on the Coast.

1 minute ago, Shad said:

Yep I think so, but some beg to differ, each to their own I guess

Yes, a very good track.

They do have to prepare it for harness only, though.

I may be accused of being biased but I believe Reefton has an equally good track  and is prepared for both harness and gallops.

Excellent facilities, too.

On 3/11/2021 at 5:02 PM, Jape said:

Yes, a very good track.

They do have to prepare it for harness only, though.

I may be accused of being biased but I believe Reefton has an equally good track  and is prepared for both harness and gallops.

Excellent facilities, too.

You're not biased in saying that you're a good judge.  As good a surface as there is in the South Island though the track is far too small for a thoroughbred Ckub