RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
ivanthegreat

WINGATUI

You should know by now SI gallops are a free for all so form from all out the window.

Just look at the quality of the open handicaps there just terrible.

No oncourse attendace allowed -lazy club.

Gee SI racing in big trouble.

4 hours ago, Four Hooves said:

You should know by now SI gallops are a free for all so form from all out the window.

Just look at the quality of the open handicaps there just terrible.

No oncourse attendace allowed -lazy club.

Gee SI racing in big trouble.

At least they managed 10 horses in the 2yo race compared with 5 at Awapuni. The first race and the open class race won by the best jockey NZ has ever seen. The open sprint won by a horse winning its fourth in a row, if that isn't consistent form I don't know what is. A 15 win horse top weight in one open class race and a dual Telegraph winner top weight in the other. More horses starting on the day than will line up at either NI meeting this weekend. A better racing surface than presented at most northern meetings. Probably a better commentator than the northern meetings. Four very consistent horses the first four home in the listed race; it will be interesting to see if that happens in the Derby. By contrast, Ellerslie relying on a deep south horse as top weight in one open class race and third to top top race in another open race. Only just enough horses for seven races at Otaki next week. And I imagine a similar on course attendance at Ellerslie to Wingatui. 

I don't think its SI racing we have to worry about. Not sure what sort of parallel universe 4 hooves comes from.

23 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

At least they managed 10 horses in the 2yo race compared with 5 at Awapuni. The first race and the open class race won by the best jockey NZ has ever seen. The open sprint won by a horse winning its fourth in a row, if that isn't consistent form I don't know what is. A 15 win horse top weight in one open class race and a dual Telegraph winner top weight in the other. More horses starting on the day than will line up at either NI meeting this weekend. A better racing surface than presented at most northern meetings. Probably a better commentator than the northern meetings. Four very consistent horses the first four home in the listed race; it will be interesting to see if that happens in the Derby. By contrast, Ellerslie relying on a deep south horse as top weight in one open class race and third to top top race in another open race. Only just enough horses for seven races at Otaki next week. And I imagine a similar on course attendance at Ellerslie to Wingatui. 

I don't think its SI racing we have to worry about. Not sure what sort of parallel universe 4 hooves comes from.

Well said/explained It often surprises me how people with no skin in the game bag SI racing I guess at times we are an easy target 

BUT we race for basically the same money with less cost as elsewhere and our racing is competitive, unfortunately we are getting deprived of race days that should be made available to us I would like to see more racing at Riccartoon but it will come once the AWT comes in

It couldn’t stand more racing atm track surface and irrigation policy very average. Wingatui today had an outstanding racing surface fair to all something that we haven’t had at Riccartoon

Some of those fields at Ellerslie aren’t that flash considering prize money on offer, and look at all the publicity and razzmatazz they get when they have a meeting like today!! Don’t knock the poor old South Island racing, I think they do pretty good considering they have lost a few meetings. Maybe a bit more help from the hierarchy wouldn’t go amiss. Just my thoughts, and I don’t live in South Island either. 

37 minutes ago, Cooper said:

Some of those fields at Ellerslie aren’t that flash considering prize money on offer, and look at all the publicity and razzmatazz they get when they have a meeting like today!! Don’t knock the poor old South Island racing, I think they do pretty good considering they have lost a few meetings. Maybe a bit more help from the hierarchy wouldn’t go amiss. Just my thoughts, and I don’t live in South Island either. 

There is actually not a lot wrong with South Island racing,maybe a few and I say maybe a few more meetings would be a option,they do have reasonable numbers,the biggest challenge will be if the winter racing goes from the Hannan shield area to Riccarton,that will put a large dent in things for the southern guys.

It's easy to say about the track at Wingatui and how good it is,it ain't like that all the time,no one would deny it,there is a reason why they race in Oamaru,Timaru and once upon a time Waimate in June and july,all weather track at Riccarton or night losing racing there in the dead of winter is an idea only a dead head would come up with.

And to add some of those meetings in Canterbury since cup week have been pretty light on numbers,the southern meetings have out flanked them often.

Perhaps one simple question for 4 hooves; don't want to tax his brain too much.  If SI form is that bad, can he explain why a four win Southerner is top weight in an open handicap at Ellerslie, and having to give heaps of weight to the rest of the field including an Avondale Cup winner? The handicapper must rate Southern form even if no one else does.

As Cooper mentions above, at least a southern meeting wouldn't start with six horses going around for $50,000, and very seldom would you see a Southern meeting with only one capacity field.

I should probably explain for 4 hooves benefit why Southern form can look inconsistent. He may have noticed yesterday that there was only one maiden distance offered, 1,600m, although it was eventually split. Some of those horses would have preferred 1,400m and some would have liked 2,000m, but if they wanted to start somewhere they had to take what was on offer.  

The SI doesn't have the luxury accorded to the CD of five meetings in 15 days with lots of 5 horse fields over every distance imaginable. Interestingly, for all the money poured into the CD only five horses are considered worthy of sending north to one of NZs flashest race-days today. 5 from the CD, 2 from Otago/Southland. I hope someone thanks those connections for travelling all that way.

If one of those unneeded CD meetings going on at the moment was allocated to the likes of Timaru they could easily put on a 10 race meeting over several distances and classes with large fields. The casual observer would probably consider that a better use of industry resources.

SI racing certainly isn't perfect. One of the major problems is a very poor leadership role and example set by the CJC. An innovative major club would have every prospect of making SI racing great again. The CJC certainly isn't the Richie McCaw of Racing.

I posted this subject simply to emphasise that the punter without whom racing couldn't exist doesn't get a fair suck of the sav.

I don't need to analyse the results but you hear pre race announcements about big price moves and as George Simon would say " The monies right on the lolly " as they hit the line. There needs to be more transparency , as it stands at the moment with all trackworks a F#@%ing mystery and no trial OR workout form to refer to we are flying blind.

Must be good to be part of the sham that it is.

The racing itself is very good and I always watch it but boy the results don't make much sense at times.

Cheers.

Thought the racing was good yesterday, a case could be made for all the winners except the race 2 roughie. liked the Anderton horse exchange, think more will be heard from that one. Ellerslie today will have an upset or 4, due to soft track, and forecast rain later in the day we could have a heavy track by Derby time?  But it will be a good watch.

Im not sure the point is a valid one as of the ten races at Wingatui on Saturday, seven were for horses rating 65 and above with sufficient exposed form to enable an informed assessment of their chances.  Do you really need trials/jumpouts to tell you how Whale Song or Picture Me Rollin are going to go?  Two races were maidens with a mix of those well tried and those with fewer convictions, but again plenty of form in Race 1 which quite literally saw the first three favorites run 1, 2, 3.  To be fair, Race 2 was a bit of a surprise with Country Boy winning (and winning well).  And the 2yo race, well there was plenty of trial form with Fire Show and Sorrento both having trialed well (and I am sure Fire Show would have gone a lot better if it had had a rail to follow rather than being drawn in the middle).  Sorrento won and was well in the market...  

Of the winners of the seven races Rating 65+

Whale Song - class horse back from Trentham and favorite... Won during Cup Week when simply pulled to the middle of the track and let rip and did exactly the same here

Dough Boy - lovely horse who has always been crying out for this distance.  I rated him a $18 chance so never backed him as he never quite got to the right price but could have certainly made a winning case for him.  Second horse Point Score paid $4 a place after excellent lead up and last race was at WFA in White Robe Lodge...

Live Drama - won paying $1.40 ... fourth in a row ... I think that form is pretty consistent

Glory Chance - Ashley Frye has done a fantastic job with this horse and from barrier 1 with Kylie W riding, was ideally placed in this field and not missed at $9 - you'll struggle to find a bad race in its formline

Seriously - really nice horse that went to Terri Rae after Neil Ridley passed away. Has aways had good speed from the gate (won its maiden well at Riccarton this way) and had won at Wingatui in R65 on Boxing Day.  Again, was well in the market at $9 which was about the right price given it was an extremely good and competitive field.

The Gift - speaks for itself on the back of its 3yo season, including beating Supreme Khan at Riccarton over Cup Week

Exchange - as posted above, talented horse in a very even field with a lot of nice horses and deserved winner.

Now as it happens I had a terrible day on the punt at Wingatui -- I backed Fire Show, Phyllite, Kitty Cugat, Jewel of Patch, Johnnie Redmond and Just Tickety Boo.  5th was the closest I got!  But none of the winners surprised me -- the fields were really competitive and barrier draws and race tempo mattered a lot.  Michael Pitman had several class horses in and only managed one winner -- but follow those others (Cannoli, Rock Sensation, Benaud etc) back to Riccarton and you'll be cashing tickets in short order.  

On 3/6/2021 at 7:43 AM, uneasy said:

Well said/explained It often surprises me how people with no skin in the game bag SI racing I guess at times we are an easy target 

BUT we race for basically the same money with less cost as elsewhere and our racing is competitive, unfortunately we are getting deprived of race days that should be made available to us I would like to see more racing at Riccartoon but it will come once the AWT comes in

It couldn’t stand more racing atm track surface and irrigation policy very average. Wingatui today had an outstanding racing surface fair to all something that we haven’t had at Riccartoon

What has the issue been the last couple meetings at Riccarton Michael?  Seems worse than ever?  And I see rail will be out 11 again on Thursday.  

Pentrometer at  the last meeting was “given out” as a recorded 3

But pentrometers are only an average of all recordings

Given that the rail was out 11 m as it is likely to be this week the irrigation is very inconsistent patchy so horses are racing well of the fence heading out to the centre of the track and wider where it’s probably a 2 not  like the inside. It surprises me (well no it doesn’t ) how certain trainers keep requesting tracks to have give then ask jockeys to head to the firmer part of the track, go figure

1 hour ago, uneasy said:

Pentrometer at  the last meeting was “given out” as a recorded 3

But pentrometers are only an average of all recordings

Given that the rail was out 11 m as it is likely to be this week the irrigation is very inconsistent patchy so horses are racing well of the fence heading out to the centre of the track and wider where it’s probably a 2 not  like the inside. It surprises me (well no it doesn’t ) how certain trainers keep requesting tracks to have give then ask jockeys to head to the firmer part of the track, go figure

Why does that surprise you? I don't get it.

9 hours ago, Eastwood Jaunty said:

Im not sure the point is a valid one as of the ten races at Wingatui on Saturday, seven were for horses rating 65 and above with sufficient exposed form to enable an informed assessment of their chances.  Do you really need trials/jumpouts to tell you how Whale Song or Picture Me Rollin are going to go?  Two races were maidens with a mix of those well tried and those with fewer convictions, but again plenty of form in Race 1 which quite literally saw the first three favorites run 1, 2, 3.  To be fair, Race 2 was a bit of a surprise with Country Boy winning (and winning well).  And the 2yo race, well there was plenty of trial form with Fire Show and Sorrento both having trialed well (and I am sure Fire Show would have gone a lot better if it had had a rail to follow rather than being drawn in the middle).  Sorrento won and was well in the market...  

Of the winners of the seven races Rating 65+

Whale Song - class horse back from Trentham and favorite... Won during Cup Week when simply pulled to the middle of the track and let rip and did exactly the same here

Dough Boy - lovely horse who has always been crying out for this distance.  I rated him a $18 chance so never backed him as he never quite got to the right price but could have certainly made a winning case for him.  Second horse Point Score paid $4 a place after excellent lead up and last race was at WFA in White Robe Lodge...

Live Drama - won paying $1.40 ... fourth in a row ... I think that form is pretty consistent

Glory Chance - Ashley Frye has done a fantastic job with this horse and from barrier 1 with Kylie W riding, was ideally placed in this field and not missed at $9 - you'll struggle to find a bad race in its formline

Seriously - really nice horse that went to Terri Rae after Neil Ridley passed away. Has aways had good speed from the gate (won its maiden well at Riccarton this way) and had won at Wingatui in R65 on Boxing Day.  Again, was well in the market at $9 which was about the right price given it was an extremely good and competitive field.

The Gift - speaks for itself on the back of its 3yo season, including beating Supreme Khan at Riccarton over Cup Week

Exchange - as posted above, talented horse in a very even field with a lot of nice horses and deserved winner.

Now as it happens I had a terrible day on the punt at Wingatui -- I backed Fire Show, Phyllite, Kitty Cugat, Jewel of Patch, Johnnie Redmond and Just Tickety Boo.  5th was the closest I got!  But none of the winners surprised me -- the fields were really competitive and barrier draws and race tempo mattered a lot.  Michael Pitman had several class horses in and only managed one winner -- but follow those others (Cannoli, Rock Sensation, Benaud etc) back to Riccarton and you'll be cashing tickets in short order.  

Nice horse dough boy, improving with age and will only get better,, dam has left horses that have mostly won races, his brother shanzino been a little disappointing, but I will continue to back him.

On 3/6/2021 at 11:56 PM, jayar said:

Speaking of Wingatui.... Congratulations again to the ODT. for there Race liftout covering two full pages, with all the relevant details,including formline and picks.

On the back page were the full fields for Fridays N.Z.Metro and Auckland Trots.

Again ODT has liftout  of 4 pages (Tabloid ) on inside pages for Sundays Wyndham Races with all form, etc.

Back page has Ellerslie Gallops and Northern Southland Trots full fields and picks.

Great stuff...

1 hour ago, jayar said:

Again ODT has liftout  of 4 pages (Tabloid ) on inside pages for Sundays Wyndham Races with all form, etc.

Back page has Ellerslie Gallops and Northern Southland Trots full fields and picks.

Great stuff...

So none of the aussie stuff then,just nz.i think the odt has always stated they will continue coverage of the local stuff,I'm not sure if everybody knows about it but anybody who does should share the word and also tell the ODT you buy it for the lift out,at least they will know its worth continuing with.

Just to add how far does the paper reach,I'm actually curious to know,good paper in any case but the online stuff must affect sales.