RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Guest Quarter horse

Sbw

And what coaching style is that PB? Picking players like D.Kirkpatrick]

The Hammett/Canterbury style is not a style Wellington players are familiar with or enjoy. It will bring some disquiet and affect the intensity they bring to the game. However Hammett will be back next year and a number of players won't, so you'd better get used to it.

Dave Rennie never applied for the Hurricanes job.

OPINION: Mea culpa. In 1990 the British government minister Norman Tebbit called it the 'cricket test' when questioning whether immigrants would support their adopted land. For me it is the rugby test and I have failed with dishonours. I have spoiled the examination paper and left the room in shame.

I wanted to fit in, I wanted to be accepted, I wanted to be part of the community, but every time I tried to cheer on the boys, all that came out was a hideous high-pitched laugh of pity. It turned out that my would-be heroes weren't so much Hurricanes as a bad case of wind.

In the first match of the season Ma'a Nonu, an experienced All Black, managed to get himself sin-binned. Twice. Oh well, he seems a good guy I reasoned, the sort of bloke who visits cancer hospitals, so I gave him a third chance.

A few games later the Canes take a ten point lead against the Sharks and I reckon it's time to crack open a ginger beer. This is the high season in the Wairarapa. Then Nonu is intercepted for a try. Then he is yellow-carded for the third time this season.

"Don't switch the telly off," begged my son, who would watch a man hit a ping pong ball against a wall for ten hours, "Let's watch the ads." I relented. And there was Nonu again, with Cory Jane, showing his sublime skills with a water melon. My left eye began to twitch. Was this the same Ma'a Nonu who hasn't been able to pass off his left hand for ten years. Things were getting weird.

:D....Funny and True !!

Guest Quarter horse

I think they should try SBW at fullback just quietly.

Does anyone else share that opinion?

Guest Quarter horse
OPINION: Mea culpa. In 1990 the British government minister Norman Tebbit called it the 'cricket test' when questioning whether immigrants would support their adopted land. For me it is the rugby test and I have failed with dishonours. I have spoiled the examination paper and left the room in shame.

I wanted to fit in, I wanted to be accepted, I wanted to be part of the community, but every time I tried to cheer on the boys, all that came out was a hideous high-pitched laugh of pity. It turned out that my would-be heroes weren't so much Hurricanes as a bad case of wind.

In the first match of the season Ma'a Nonu, an experienced All Black, managed to get himself sin-binned. Twice. Oh well, he seems a good guy I reasoned, the sort of bloke who visits cancer hospitals, so I gave him a third chance.

A few games later the Canes take a ten point lead against the Sharks and I reckon it's time to crack open a ginger beer. This is the high season in the Wairarapa. Then Nonu is intercepted for a try. Then he is yellow-carded for the third time this season.

"Don't switch the telly off," begged my son, who would watch a man hit a ping pong ball against a wall for ten hours, "Let's watch the ads." I relented. And there was Nonu again, with Cory Jane, showing his sublime skills with a water melon. My left eye began to twitch. Was this the same Ma'a Nonu who hasn't been able to pass off his left hand for ten years. Things were getting weird.

Plagiarism reflects poorly on one's character Dobby.

If you're going to post an opinion piece from some washed-up British journalist who now resides in the Wairarapa, then you could at least provide a link to the source.

Very, very ordinary behaviour from a very, very ordinary person.

But back to the article by Mr Mark Reason.

He, like you and a lot of others, watches rugby with his eyes closed. To assist Mr Reason in overcoming his disability, I went to the trouble of emailing this clip to him to disprove his theory that Ma'a can't pass to his left.

Now there at least 5 tries in that brief highlight package of Ma'a that dispel Mr Reason's claim.

Not that I am too concerned about it though. I understand his job is not to report the truth, but rather his job is to get under people's skin by making outlandish statements.

I should become a journalist myself.

Plagiarism reflects poorly on one's character Dobby.

If you're going to post an opinion piece from some washed-up British journalist who now resides in the Wairarapa, then you could at least provide a link to the source.

Very, very ordinary behaviour from a very, very ordinary person.

But back to the article by Mr Mark Reason.

He, like you and a lot of others, watches rugby with his eyes closed. To assist Mr Reason in overcoming his disability, I went to the trouble of emailing this clip to him to disprove his theory that Ma'a can't pass to his left.

Now there at least 5 tries in that brief highlight package of Ma'a that dispel Mr Reason's claim.

Not that I am too concerned about it though. I understand his job is not to report the truth, but rather his job is to get under people's skin by making outlandish statements.

I should become a journalist myself.

Lived in the Wairarapa

Nor would I drink a Ginger Beer during the Rugby :D

You are into dictionary meanings... so tell me where I tried to claim this work as my own.

Only an idiot would think that I did....did you think that HorsesRear ???

PS I never watch Rugby with my eye's closed.....although if The Naki play at 2.30 in the afternoon then on Occasions the 7.30 at night game is watched in some decidedly average states :D

Hoo Roo from your Sports Guru

Lived in the Wairarapa

You are into dictionary meanings... so tell me where I tried to claim this work as my own.

PS I never watch Rugby with my eye's closed.....although if The Naki play at 2.30 in the afternoon then on Occasions the 7.30 at night game is watched in some decidedly average states :D

:D

Guest Quarter horse
Lived in the Wairarapa

All those years working in a factory really has done your head in hasn't it dobby.;)

You claim to have never watched rugby with your eyes closed; maybe, maybe not. But I can tell you that you most definitely do READ with your eyes closed!

This is what I posted dumbass.

"If you're going to post an opinion piece from some washed-up British journalist who now resides in the Wairarapa, then you could at least provide a link to the source".

Now quite clearly I was referring to Mr Reason there dobby, as it is HE who resides in the Wairarapa and it is HE who is the washed-up British journalist.

You're just a washed-up illiterate factory worker.

You then went on to say this...."so tell me where I tried to claim this work as my own".

It's quite simple really, and anyone with an education could tell you the same. If you try to pass something off as your own work, without acknowledging the source, then that's plagiarism.

You copy'n'pasted an article without providing a link. That's plagiarism.

But of course now that I've exposed you for being the uneducated, illiterate, tin-packer that you are, you'll come back and say that you were only joking...just like you tried to do with your "the AB's only need 2 back reserves" theory.

Oh how the boys at the yacht club are still laughing over that one.:D

To the boys at The Yacht Club

I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the difficulties and frustrations of the moment, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day the state of Alabama, whose governor's lips are presently dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, will be transformed into a situation where little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls and walk together as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

Amen

Guest Quarter horse

...I've just received an email from your mum who is upset with me for claiming you are illiterate.

This is what she had to say: "I am very much annoyed to find out that you have branded my son illiterate. This is a dirty lie as I was married a week before he was born". :D

From here on in, I'll agree to take it easy on you.

It's not your fault that you're uneducated and simple, but it's good to see that you've moved on to using quotations.

Quotations are a good starting point for the uneducated. From there you should try and discover who the author is and read the whole book. You may even find one with lots of pictures in it!

Teacher: "Dobby, tell me what this letter is" (she points to the letter 'A' on the whiteboard).

Dobby: "That's no letter Miss; that's just 3 sticks!" :D

Ho ho ho...the boys at the yacht club are going to love that one.:D

There was a wannabe young Yachtsmen called Quarterhorse

Who said the Yacht Club's great for drinks and Intercourse.

It was also frequented by Chris Taylor

Though it's a Mens only Club for Sailors

Where the Members used their "masts" with great Force

Written by an Uneducated Lobster (not copy and pasted)

:D:D:D

But my all time fav is:

There was an old man called Chris

Who was a dick.

Guest Quarter horse

Wow! I haven't seen a limerick since primary school!

I bet they were the best 13 years of your life huh jezza?:D

Seriously though...writing limericks at your age...and finding amusement in them:eek:...really does show everyone just where you are at intellectually.

I just can't find it in me to lower myself to that level.

No wonder you and teletuDPBy appear to get on so well.:D

Wow! I haven't seen a limerick since primary school!

I bet they were the best 13 years of your life huh jezza?:D

Seriously though...writing limericks at your age...and finding amusement in them:eek:...really does show everyone just where you are at intellectually.

I just can't find it in me to lower myself to that level.

No wonder you and teletuDPBy appear to get on so well.:D

The Teacher joke would be the limit of the intelligence at the "Yacht Club" and they would find that joke of yours as amusing as hell in between sipping GnT's and tales of Buggary beneath the decks of their 60 ft Mega Yachts.

Actually I was quite a good scholar to be honest Quarterhorse....and that was while attending a school with the added distraction of girls too....bet most of the boys from the Yacht Club went to All Boys schools :D

Guest Quarter horse

Actually I was quite a good scholar to be honest Quarterhorse....

...I have no doubt whatsoever that you put those crayons to good use during those 13 yrs at primary school jezza.:D

Guest Quarter horse

Mark Reason may have written some rubbish about Ma'a, but at least he appears to have come to his senses.

Have a read through it boys'n'girls and then try and tell me that Mr Reason doesn't follow RaceCafe and, in particular, my comments about SBW.

He has basically recited, word-for-word, my appraisal of the myth.

The only thing I disagree with Mr Reason about is this claim that SBW gives away too many penalties due to his tackling style. Clearly Mr Reason is seeing things that just aren't there, in much the same way he thinks that Nonu can't pass to his left.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion/5082489/Sonny-Bill-Williams-is-no-superstar

MARK REASON

OPINION: Roll up, roll up, see the giant tattooed man and his amazing offloads. Sonny Bill Williams is a freak show.

His manager Khoder Nasser has swapped the old Victorian zzzpard skin for a pair of boxing gloves, but the message is the same: "It's showbiz, baby, SBW tops the Bill, he's the biggest draw in town."

And there ain't a thing wrong with any of that. Professional sport is about entertainment and people pay to watch Sonny Bill.

Kevin Kiwi may be bonkers to part with a cent to watch Williams box, but they probably said the same thing about those Victorians who queued up to see the bearded lady.

There's no accounting for taste. If you want to pay to watch SBW take on a bum this weekend, then Brother Nasser will be glad for your dollar.

Williams the boxer is a charade, but it all adds to his value. It's about selling the product. William Williams would be a hard name to peddle. But Sonny Bill Williams, the boxing All Black, is one for the comic books. No wonder the kids hero-worship him.

So far it all makes sense. But where I am bothered, bewildered and not in the least bewitched, is with Sonny Bill Williams the rugby union star. I would travel many a league to watch Dan Carter play. I would cross snow- topped mountains to see Quade Cooper do his schtick. But I just don't get the wow in Sonny Bill.

This is not a Pieter De Villiers rant. The South African coach was lampooned for describing SBW's backhand passes as "nonsense". They are far from nonsense.

Cooper does much the same thing and often to more brilliant effect.

No, the bit I don't get is the comparison with Jonah Lomu. Todd Blackadder, SBW's coach at the Crusaders, said: "It's like when Jonah was playing. We should embrace these people with natural, special gifts. I think Sonny's a fantastic player and a great role model. He's got an instinctive ability which is just unbelievable."

Spoken like a true forward. Indeed Schalk Burger said much the same thing after SBW bamboozled the Stormers. The South African wanted "some of that glue he's got stuck to his right hand". You see SBW has this trick that kids copy, forwards admire and the media eulogises.

Ad Feedback It's a good trick. It often makes space for his team-mates at Super Rugby level. But the 25-year-old has yet to blow anybody's mind as an All Black. Indeed I would bet a few dollars that Ma'a Nonu will start the big World Cup games ahead of him.

Wayne Smith, who knows a thing or two about back play, will wonder where SBW was against the Reds on Sunday night. He will have noted that the big man has a habit of sliding off tackles as he did for Ben Tapuai's opening try.

Ironically, Williams did the same thing just before the Crusaders scored, but Dan Carter stepped in and stripped the ball.

SBW over-ran the first pass he received in the match and dropped it. His workrate was poor. He should have had a straight run-in off a Cooper chip, the big moment in the game, but again dropped the ball. Burger's shelves would all fall down if he used that sort of glue.

There is plenty of evidence when Smith sifts through his tapes that SBW's hands are not as great as they are made out to be. He played first receiver for a lot of the final 10 minutes in the Crusaders' loss to the Highlanders and the lack of snap in his orthodox passing was exposed.

SBW is not the world's quickest, which is presumably why he was a forward in league. He gives away too many penalties, having not rid himself of the no-hands shoulder charge from his days as a Bulldog.

I asked one of the great centres of the past 50 years to give a view on SBW. He said: "If Williams only runs at players he will be dealt with at the very top level. Nonu may well present more of a threat with his footwork and explosiveness."

There is much to be admired about Sonny Bill. He has a rare and specific talent. He speaks with endearing humility and seems to have his head screwed on.

He can thrill crowds with his freakish back flips and plenty of women queue up for a wink and an autograph.

But SBW is not the second coming. There was only ever one Jonah Lomu.

Mark Reason may have written some rubbish about Ma'a, but at least he appears to have come to his senses.

Have a read through it boys'n'girls and then try and tell me that Mr Reason doesn't follow RaceCafe and, in particular, my comments about SBW.

He has basically recited, word-for-word, my appraisal of the myth.

The only thing I disagree with Mr Reason about is this claim that SBW gives away too many penalties due to his tackling style. Clearly Mr Reason is seeing things that just aren't there, in much the same way he thinks that Nonu can't pass to his left.

There is much to be admired about Sonny Bill. He has a rare and specific talent. He speaks with endearing humility and seems to have his head screwed on.

He can thrill crowds with his freakish back flips and plenty of women queue up for a wink and an autograph.

QUOTE]

I am glad that you don't disagree with the statement above HorsesRear, or do I need a dictionary to check what the word "only" means :D

In a perfect world, the AB selectors would have gone with a 17/13 split. They would have chosen 3 halfbacks: that leaves 10 spots, of which 6 are automatically taken.

With our injury problems improving by the day is there any reason the AB selectors wont go for a 17/13 split. With guys like Toeva, B.Smith, Jane, etc not likely to get much game time anyway wouldn't they be valuable though as back ups in numerous positions opening the way for an extra hooker or loosie. Being at home if one of the backs gets seriously injured early in the series can they be replaced under current rules?

Guest Quarter horse
With our injury problems improving by the day is there any reason the AB selectors wont go for a 17/13 split. With guys like Toeva, B.Smith, Jane, etc not likely to get much game time anyway wouldn't they be valuable though as back ups in numerous positions opening the way for an extra hooker or loosie. Being at home if one of the backs gets seriously injured early in the series can they be replaced under current rules?

Moz, the selectors have already stated they'll go with 3 hookers and 3 halfbacks; hence my deduction that they would go for a 17/13 split.

My point about SBW not making the WC squad was exactly what you've picked up on, and that's the ability of others to cover many positions, which makes a 17/13 split logical.

SBW won't be the first choice 2nd five, thus if he makes the squad he'll only be covering one position that he's capable of playing. That will leave us short in other areas.

And just for my crayon-eating friend, I agree there is alot to be admired about SBW. He's donating $100k to Chch; he puts bums on seats; and he appeals to a wide audience.

He's just not that good a rugby player.

Replacements can be made for medical or compassionate reasons.

If the NZ World Cup squad were named today Sonny Bill Williams would be in it.

And just for my crayon-eating friend, I agree there is alot to be admired about SBW. He's donating $100k to Chch]

Or don't you give players a chance QH ?

How many years has it taken Ma'a to develop into a decent second five. I mean he first donned the Black jersey in 2003 and wasn't good enough to make the WC squad in 2007, finally 8 yrs after his debut he is a very good second five.

How many idiots said "He's just not that good a rugby player" less than 7 months after his AB debut.

SBW is an amazing athlete and with him and Ma'a the selectors are spoilt for choice.

Forget SBW chasing the $$$$'s he is chasing the dream, he turned down a (rumoured) $6 million 3 yr deal with Toulon to play for about a quarter of that in the Black jersey....I say good on him.

He is only the 2nd ever player to play for the All Blacks after playing for the Kiwi's, he is a very special player, that a lot of long time rugby supporters who have never had the talent to play to the top level of rugby are jealous of, and don't want to see succeed. I am sure you know someone of that description QH :D

Onwards and Upwards.

Hoo Roo from the Crayon writing sports Guru

Replacements can be made for medical or compassionate reasons.

If the NZ World Cup squad were named today Sonny Bill Williams would be in it.

Think if they go for 17/13 split then SBW will miss out. My backs would be

Muliaina

Sivivatu

Guilford

C Smith

Nonu

Carter

Cowan (Main backline)

then other 6

2 halfbacks (although we are short of these)

Slade (providing he comes back in time)

Toeava (F/Back, centre, wing cover)

B Smith ( " " " " )

If Slade not fit them MacAlister could make it even though I am not actually a fan of his.

If they are trying to get something back from investment in SBW then he would make it but only if they have 16/14 split.

Think if they go for 17/13 split then SBW will miss out. My backs would be

Muliaina

Sivivatu

Guilford

C Smith

Nonu

Carter

Cowan (Main backline)

then other 6

2 halfbacks (although we are short of these)

Slade (providing he comes back in time)

Toeava (F/Back, centre, wing cover)

B Smith ( " " " " )

If Slade not fit them MacAlister could make it even though I am not actually a fan of his.

If they are trying to get something back from investment in SBW then he would make it but only if they have 16/14 split.

Pretty sure it would be a 17/13 split.

My backs would be

Muliaina

Toeava

Sivivatu

Gear

Kahui

Smith

SBW

Nonu

McAlister

Carter