RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
45yearsofharness

Several Canterbury harness racing trainers suspected of doping horses

Racing officials suspect a group of Canterbury harness racing trainers are doping their horses.

Quote From Gary Woodham

Harness Racing New Zealand chief executive Gary Woodham was unaware a group of trainers were under investigation and asked for anyone with information to come forward.

“I do not want those types of people in our sport. If there are people out there doing it … if there are whistle-blowers, they should be getting in contact with myself or the RIU.”

Hmmm If that statement is true, why are so many that have already been caught,  still in the game?

2 hours ago, 45yearsofharness said:

Racing officials suspect a group of Canterbury harness racing trainers are doping their horses.

Quote From Gary Woodham

Harness Racing New Zealand chief executive Gary Woodham was unaware a group of trainers were under investigation and asked for anyone with information to come forward.

“I do not want those types of people in our sport. If there are people out there doing it … if there are whistle-blowers, they should be getting in contact with myself or the RIU.”

Hmmm If that statement is true, why are so many that have already been caught,  still in the game?

As they say "actions speak louder than words" Who are the racing officials mentioned above 45? I take it that's it is RIU officials if GW knows nothing about it.

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

As they say "actions speak louder than words" Who are the racing officials mentioned above 45? I take it that's it is RIU officials if GW knows nothing about it.

It can also be revealed investigators are focusing on a group of trainers in Canterbury they suspect of doping horses, following recent performances that caused suspicion among some in the industry.

Full article here

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/racing/124392505/several-canterbury-harness-racing-trainers-suspected-of-doping-horses

5 hours ago, 45yearsofharness said:

Because once they have served the sentence (or paid it in dollars which is common these days ) they can 'trial and error' the next method of winning a race .

5 hours ago, 45yearsofharness said:

Quote From Gary Woodham

He want a list so lets start and you guys can add to it , Tyr not to go too far back in history cos it would be a long list  Lets restrict it to say the last 30 years

Mark Purdon (Blue Magic)

29 minutes ago, kilcoyne said:

He want a list so lets start and you guys can add to it , Tyr not to go too far back in history cos it would be a long list  Lets restrict it to say the last 30 years

Mark Purdon (Blue Magic)

All you need to do is go to JCA site and type in Colalt and see what comes up.

Even did Blue Magic, the first name to come up is McGrath back in 2004

2 hours ago, kilcoyne said:

Mark Purdon (Blue Magic)

Wow,  that was how many years ago?? Didn't he get 6 months after handing himself in despite never actually having a positive?

How's PK's team looking, numbers holding up ok??

So when's the test results of Jesses due out ?

Who else is suspected ? Don't answer thIs one just yet please?  Rumours can be harmful so Stuff out of line at thIs point ?

19 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Wow,  that was how many years ago?? Didn't he get 6 months after handing himself in despite never actually having a positive?

How's PK's team looking, numbers holding up ok??

16 is enough, some being turned out soon and others due to come back. Only have 10 paddocks

No substance in the latest article but clearly The Press is on a mission, pretty easy with all the own goals

This will not end up well for the industry who remain silent as always so the public form their views and probably conclude the game is full of cheating crooks

All sad

Seems to be getting worse by the day, not only the doping but the team driving. Nz most aggressive driver falls asleep on a $1.80 pop today and his brother and stablemate wins after getting the late money. Just makes me feel for the honest ones.

5 hours ago, Haymaker said:

Seems to be getting worse by the day, not only the doping but the team driving. Nz most aggressive driver falls asleep on a $1.80 pop today and his brother and stablemate wins after getting the late money. Just makes me feel for the honest ones.

KEEP ON DREAMING - when asked to comment on the performance Driver M Williamson advised that the gelding was blowing hard following the race and in his opinion it would derive benefit from the run.

Be careful when mentioning/bagging  Southern racing as Flawed Genius will be on your case Haymaker. Fewer and fewer are betting down that way from outside the region as quite a few posters have attested to recently. 

Are you guys serious?

Who in their right mind would back a horse into $1.80 in a race where the trainer publicly stated pre-race that he couldn't split his 2 runners on ability.

But ... one had a better draw, a better driver, AND with more than twice the price on offer!

So where would the smart money go????

As for people not betting in the south .... betting figures would beg to differ. Possibly a more reliable indicator than your quoted source of "a few posters on racecafe"

33 minutes ago, Flawed Genius said:

But ... one had a better draw, a better driver, AND with more than twice the price on offer!

So your smart and backed Nathans drive- congrats you are a true legend... Shame you could not have posted all your comments to Haymaker and others pre race. As i don't bet south of Ashburton it makes not a jot of difference to me but i can see why fewer and fewer want to invest down there.

Only had a few trifectas on the race, all with Idealism to win and Keep On Dreaming to run 2nd or 3rd. Keep On Dreaming was ordinary on the day.

Believe it or not Southern harness racing is going very nicely despite no turnover contribution from you and the Haymakers of this world!

Best you invest further north, I hear there are a few clubs up that way that are desperate for a dollar!

1 hour ago, Flawed Genius said:

Believe it or not Southern harness racing is going very nicely

Really , money  spent at recent sales suggests the future might not be so rosy. Keep those 10K maidens going though so Cantab stables can pillage again.😄

Really? You obviously we're at the same sales I was at then. Southern buying and selling activity was through the roof!

Everybody is welcome to come and race in Southland, and virtually everything is for sale so bring your cheque book!

Like all the serious buyers know, if you want to buy a decent horse, you buy out of Southland!

9 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

KEEP ON DREAMING - when asked to comment on the performance Driver M Williamson advised that the gelding was blowing hard following the race and in his opinion it would derive benefit from the run.

Be careful when mentioning/bagging  Southern racing as Flawed Genius will be on your case Haymaker. Fewer and fewer are betting down that way from outside the region as quite a few posters have attested to recently. 

Yeah I seen the report and you can only that it would need the run third up. 

6 hours ago, Flawed Genius said:

Are you guys serious?

Who in their right mind would back a horse into $1.80 in a race where the trainer publicly stated pre-race that he couldn't split his 2 runners on ability.

As for people not betting in the south .... betting figures would beg to differ. Possibly a more reliable indicator than your quoted source of "a few posters on racecafe"

I understand your points, but my point was more into the driving of the horse rather than the reasons for backing it. Was a not today drive plain and simple.

3 hours ago, Flawed Genius said:

Really? You obviously we're at the same sales I was at then. Southern buying and selling activity was through the roof!

Everybody is welcome to come and race in Southland, and virtually everything is for sale so bring your cheque book!

Like all the serious buyers know, if you want to buy a decent horse, you buy out of Southland!

Southland stables and owners purchased a mere 21 horses according to NZB sales data. Given over 400 were catalogued its not hard to work out the numbers. Your obviously easily contented.

You are correct about  Southland  being big sellers , obviously vendors don't want to race them. 🙄

5 hours ago, Flawed Genius said:

Southland horses are winning every week (in Perth) and are proving to be very decent horses.

Nathan Williamson is selling his wonderful horse REGAZZO MACH , which will leave the racing scene in NZ with a big loss,  but what a boost for the Southern breeders .

7 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Southland stables and owners purchased a mere 21 horses according to NZB sales data. Given over 400 were catalogued its not hard to work out the numbers. Your obviously easily contented.

You are correct about  Southland  being big sellers , obviously vendors don't want to race them. 🙄

Apparently maths isn't your strong suit, so I'll type this slowly to make it easy for you to understand. 

Southland's has a mere 5% of NZ's population who purchased 5% of the yearlings sold at the sales. Sounds about right until you take into account all the foreign buyers competing as well. So for 5% of the yearlings to be heading south is a more than you'd expect from such a small region.

Easy enough to see that even though the Deep South is primarily a breeding, nurturing and selling region it's also punching well above it's weight when it comes to buying at the sales.

And don't get me started on the regions spectacular success on the selling side of the sales. I'm guessing even you've heard of SBSR!

On 3/5/2021 at 9:21 AM, Flawed Genius said:

Are you guys serious?

I had a go at Winton . Have been following my broodmares grand- daughter which ran second again.  Been following a few others horses down that way too so threw a few dollars that way.