RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Recognition of Trainers.

I have noticed over recent weeks watching Aussie racing that just about every Saturday in Sydney and Melbourne there is a major race named after a trainer of years gone by. It got me thinking how many top NZ races are named after famous trainers, and I couldn't think of any. I am sure there must be some, but none spring to mind. It just shows how differently we view racing in NZ and Australia. We have very few races named after famous horses, trainers or jockeys. To give Auckland credit they at least have introduced the Bonecrusher, Sunline and Uncle Remus races in recent years. Other clubs would do well to follow their lead.

13 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

But how many races named after trainers or jockeys?

D&Jo are Green Party activists @We're Doomed

You have raised a very good topic.

Try research in Papers Past NZ to see how many used to be & why they were.

Life in NZ & Australia used to have many a great Farmer own & race horses including Major Needham, Dyrample, Argus to name a few from the 1800's.

Heads up, start from aa far back as 1830's in 5 - 10 yr blocks with preview & keywords when browsing through PPNZ.

It's an incredible resource, where you will also read that people in Racing contributed a wealth of knowledge & works for the betterment of the economy.

Remember Dr Mitchelson??

Fabulous stories in there.

Along with the history of David White ( he owned racehorses)  & the story behind the stone fences he built across Auckland that used to be used for Pakuranga Hunt meets...remember that next time you are driving between Mt Wellington across to Pakuranga & out to Papakura . .

I must have had one wine too many tonight because I have no idea what the last two postings are all about!

Having said that if I was the Canterbury Jockey Club I would name a race after the best Riccarton trainer of all time [quality wise] in Jim Tomkinson.

Liz