RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mike28

nz derby

On 2/28/2021 at 12:09 PM, Aaron Bidlake said:

Too high risk  to take the punt on the Sunday I recon, could all look good all week then a couple of positive cases Friday or Saturday and they will stay at level 3 at best I would think. Race behind closed doors at another track the safest option....

Whats wrong with running Derby same day at Trentham with the Oaks?  Instead I see Hawkes Bay is mooted as the fall back option. REALLY!!! And where is the 2400m start at Hawkes Bay? 2500m a bit flimsy.

If it doesn't fit in with Aussie plans for one or two horses to hell with them, Administrators should be running racing for New Zealanders.

Government has announced this afternoon they will not discuss if the current Levels operating in NZ will be reduced or stay at current levels until Friday at the earliest. Sunday doesn't look promising for racing at Ellerslie if they want to give all horses a fair chance of winning by not having last minute rushed travel requirements from areas such as the CD.  

1 minute ago, 100 1 said:

The map changed 30 min after I posted it

and likely to change several more times  - hence my comment. Let's just hope it all works out well in the end (though, with people like the Tamakis leading the South Auckland approach to L3, it aint looking good for a L2 Sunday

I was thinking there would be a lot of CD horses unsure whether to head North or not before the final decision is made on Friday afternoon, but on checking I see there are only 10 horses at the whole meeting trained south of the Waikato: eight from the CD and the two classy Southerners. So only 10 will have to make a late dash if it goes ahead at Ellerslie, but there will be hell of a lot heading south if it moves to Hastings. You wonder how many scratchings there might be in that case.

Only one horse from south of the Waikato region in the Derby, which is a bit strange really. You can see why there are no Southerners as I think there must be a rule banning them from racing further than 1,600m all season, but a bit sad there are none from the CD good enough, but they have hardly had any racing further than 1,600m either. Might be a structural problem. 

Perhaps it was more accurately named when it was the Great Northern Derby than the NZ Derby.

Just scrolling though past winners and name that stood out to me was Jolly Jake in 1984  . Back in the day if I was off early in week I'd pop into the bookies . In winter at Hexham or Sedgefield one of my old favorites would run often . Xaipete a solid early week chaser up North of England . Jolly Jake was his sire and I remember him  as NZ in the suffix stood out . Never realised until now he was a Derby winner . Xaipete ran 130 times over the jumps for 17 wins and was cruising to win 18 when he sadly broke down . Jolly Jake also sired high class chaser Foxchapel King who ran in a Cheltenham Gold Cup and only went out at 12s to win that race full of top horses .

I see he was owned by Ivan Allen , an interesting character who survived a shooting by what must have been a blind marksman,  he also won the Doncaster St Leger in 1984 with Commanche Run ridden by Lester Piggott . From what I can google Jolly Jake went Stateside and finished career running in jumps in Southern USA . I'd be interested to learn more about this horse as sounds interesting career and travels .

29 minutes ago, Memphis3 said:

I think Hauby was a part owner.Left his commentary duties and went down to birdcage.I was there and waiting for the placings etc.

I think this is correct.Tasman Man will be able to confirm or deny I'm sure.

Ivan Allen connection may have been as purchaser after Derby I'd guess . He always had a good horse around Newmarket in the Cecil or Cumani yard , one Citidancer ended up out here at stud. 

On 3/3/2021 at 8:35 PM, Memphis3 said:

I think Hauby was a part owner.Left his commentary duties and went down to birdcage.I was there and waiting for the placings etc.

I think this is correct.Tasman Man will be able to confirm or deny I'm sure.

I think it was The Gentry that Hauby was a part owner of. From memory Jolly Jake was trained by Alan Jones in Cambridge

1 hour ago, Baz (NZ) said:

I think it was The Gentry that Hauby was a part owner of. From memory Jolly Jake was trained by Alan Jones in Cambridge

Chris McNab rode . 

Had a dig in US  Equibase . Didn't do much in California , ran 8th in the Bates Motel Handicap,  great name for a race . Then moved to the great trainer of jumpers in US Johnathon  Sheppard . He found his calling , raced 7 times over a few years for him, won 4 , 2nd twice and finally DNF in last race . Won at Clemmons in North Carolina , Malvern in Pennsylvania and a place called Prospect that I am finding difficult to track down . Placed at Fair Hills the best jumps track and Southern Pines North Carolina..

According to Wikipedia he went for million bucks to US .

On 3/3/2021 at 8:42 PM, Tauhei Notts said:

Spare a thought for the Auckland Racing Club's management.  A big day.  So many intricate details to be sorted out and so little time to do them.

they got some practice in at the last meeting - held under Level 2 conditions