RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mike28

Melody belle

Surprised no one has said anything about this 1.30 favourite beaten easy. unlucky run or has it been to the well to often thoughts. i thought it should have been 1.7,1.80 before the race but still thought it would win this.  Royal performer a touch underrated if you had a look at the last run at pukekohe that was unreal hindsight is a wonderful thing missed the start by 3 lengths drifted in the straight and won by nearly 4 lengths. a side note had no bet in the race

I'm still cringing after listening to that promo all day with Tony Lee calling her the greatest of all time. I really thought he had been to a few more meetings than that. Not knocking the horse at all, she can only beat what lines up against her, but surely Tony realises the quality of racing in NZ these days is nothing like it used to be. Our group and listed races need a total cull. If we don't do it ourselves it won't be long until other countries refuse to recognise our group races.

30 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I'm still cringing after listening to that promo all day with Tony Lee calling her the greatest of all time. I really thought he had been to a few more meetings than that. Not knocking the horse at all, she can only beat what lines up against her, but surely Tony realises the quality of racing in NZ these days is nothing like it used to be. Our group and listed races need a total cull. If we don't do it ourselves it won't be long until other countries refuse to recognise our group races.

I’ve said it before, there’s no comparison with Sunline, so T Lee has a short memory. But MB is the best of her time. 

8 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

I backed Sinharama to beat her as I noticed that Melody Belle had sweat up a little.  Siharama disappointed me.

Thought the run was very good, alot of this day was positioing to utilise the best part of the track, , Royal performer had the dream run , great result for team Vance 

34 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Thought the run was very good, alot of this day was positioing to utilise the best part of the track, , Royal performer had the dream run , great result for team Vance 

Indeed, Gruff.

Loved Bob Vance as a jockey - particularly when he sat atop Uncle Remus in, when the late 70s?

Yesterday, he was saying, was his first Group One on his own as a trainer...

A great horse but sunline was def better sunline competed against horses like northerly ,diatribe, tie the knot, lonhro  and other good ones.  I know its a different era  but apart from advantage who has she beaten that is even close to this calibre of horse. I reckon te akau shark and its a dundeel were just as good if not better and if stayed in nz would have cleaned house. A good horse should be judged more on what they do in australia than how many group 1 they get in nz because most of us know even though these races are group 1 on paper there definitely not group 1 in standard more like group 2.5. Im not bagging her still a magnificent horse in her own right but for me not the GOAT maybe top 5 for me 3rd at a push. 

7 minutes ago, mike28 said:

A great horse but sunline was def better sunline competed against horses like northerly ,diatribe, tie the knot, lonhro  and other good ones.  I know its a different era  but apart from advantage who has she beaten that is even close to this calibre of horse. I reckon te akau shark and its a dundeel were just as good if not better and if stayed in nz would have cleaned house. A good horse should be judged more on what they do in australia than how many group 1 they get in nz because most of us know even though these races are group 1 on paper there definitely not group 1 in standard more like group 2.5. Im not bagging her still a magnificent horse in her own right but for me not the GOAT maybe top 5 for me 3rd at a push. 

2.5 is probably being generous Mike.

She is a great mare, in the Show Gate type of greatness. I did put Royal Performer as my pick in the Cubes contest, purely on Melody Belle last start group 1 win. While she won, I felt it was an average effort against a very average lot, hence just thought she could get rolled.  Vance horse had been very good in his wins.

13 hours ago, Trump said:

I’ve said it before, there’s no comparison with Sunline, so T Lee has a short memory. But MB is the best of her time. 

T Lee needs to scroll through the form book and see who Sunline beat , where she beat them and the ones she got very close to.  Fairy King Prawn is one of top 5 to 10 out HK in past 20 years id would guess , she's the same ability if not better than him . Jim and Tonic , a legend of international races  she went toe to toe with him .32 wins for Sunline .

Melody Belle a super horse but not in same ball park IMHO,  a scroll through some she couldn't beat in Australia shows the gap . Aristia 2 from 30 odd she beat at Flemington , Magic Wand an iron horse but doubtful in top 20 lifetime out of Ballydoyle in Aiden's time . 

She's a cracker of a horse though and the Million win to still racing now pretty impressive , likewise Advantage an Probabeel . Although I would guess the pressure on a youngster to get into MM or Slipper is a lot tougher so sadly burnout must be more costly in OZ .

3 hours ago, arjay said:

She is a great mare, in the Show Gate type of greatness. I did put Royal Performer as my pick in the Cubes contest, purely on Melody Belle last start group 1 win. While she won, I felt it was an average effort against a very average lot, hence just thought she could get rolled.  Vance horse had been very good in his wins.

Very  good Arjay , havnt been following racing  for a while but noted the Melody Belle run wasnt X factor, but hey easy to say after the race but i thought The Chosen One stood out as a result,any other track goes closer

was never going to win that race. if the chosen one had slotted in a bit earlier and was a bit closer would have gone real close that was the only other horse that looked like winning

1 hour ago, mike28 said:

was never going to win that race. if the chosen one had slotted in a bit earlier and was a bit closer would have gone real close that was the only other horse that looked like winning

Haha you are quick to knock....if my auntie had balls she would of  been my uncle too...some love to sink the slipper in real quick.

3 hours ago, Guinness said:

Could the Jockey have got out earlier?? Was it a GOOD ride? Especially since it was such a slowly run race?

Clearly not his best. Why he thought Tiptronic would simply nice for MB, especially when she was not exactly surging into it.....but of a mystery. 

Maybe her best is behind her? Been at the top level for three seasons now? 

52 minutes ago, Houlahan's Dream said:

Clearly not his best. Why he thought Tiptronic would simply nice for MB, especially when she was not exactly surging into it.....but of a mystery. 

In a slowly run race Tiptronic would have been better placed freewheeling up front, like his Ellerslie win.

1 hour ago, Houlahan's Dream said:

Well beaten yesterday but shouldn't write her off because of one poor run. She's still the best we have here.

4 hours ago, Blue said:

Well beaten yesterday but shouldn't write her off because of one poor run. She's still the best we have here.

I would agree except...I think Avantage has been crushingly good in last two runs. Just cannot see anything getting near her in a NZ sprint anytime soon. 

No knock on MB either. Hell of a horse.