RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
barryb

UK Gambling Reform

Farking Ridiculous! :rolleyes:  I hope they're going to be consistent and means test Alcoholics, Smokers, Drug Addicts, Sex Maniac's, Racehorse Owners & Obese people queued at KFC & McDonald's before they go spending their hard earned cash ! :huh: Oh wait.....
that's me...no scrap that idea! 🙈😆

2 minutes ago, Baz (NZ) said:

Farking Ridiculous! :rolleyes:  I hope they're going to be consistent and means test Alcoholics, Smokers, Drug Addicts, Sex Maniac's, Racehorse Owners & Obese people at the KFC & McDonald's before they go spending their hard earned cash ! :huh: Oh wait.....
that's me...no scrap that idea! 🙈😆

Sounds like how life will be under this Labour Government  😆 ...😕

20 hours ago, Huey said:

Be the death of racing.

It won't but the reactions of some on here mirror the reactions in the UK. The sceptre of "underground" betting has been raised and we've not had an issue with that since the legalisation of off-course shops 60 years ago.

There is a wider issue and that's an anti-gambling undercurrent in the UK currently. There's a growing perception it's far too easy to become hooked on gambling and particularly online gaming which allows the addicted to run up huge losses which not only affects them but all around them. 

The UK bookmakers all have a strong online presence (but they aren't the only ones) and I think especially during lockdown, they've become an appealing source of entertainment for those trapped indoors.

We've also seen a growing backlash to the large number of bookmaker retail outlets which seem able to flourish while other shops around them are closing. There are ten in my local High Street and most are open from 7.30am to 10pm (Irish dogs start before breakfast). The sense it's too easy to gamble and become addicted to gambling.

It's a cultural thing in part but the bookmakers have done themselves few favours in recent times with some poor PR. 

On 2/11/2021 at 7:49 AM, stodge said:

It won't but the reactions of some on here mirror the reactions in the UK. The sceptre of "underground" betting has been raised and we've not had an issue with that since the legalisation of off-course shops 60 years ago.

There is a wider issue and that's an anti-gambling undercurrent in the UK currently. There's a growing perception it's far too easy to become hooked on gambling and particularly online gaming which allows the addicted to run up huge losses which not only affects them but all around them. 

The UK bookmakers all have a strong online presence (but they aren't the only ones) and I think especially during lockdown, they've become an appealing source of entertainment for those trapped indoors.

We've also seen a growing backlash to the large number of bookmaker retail outlets which seem able to flourish while other shops around them are closing. There are ten in my local High Street and most are open from 7.30am to 10pm (Irish dogs start before breakfast). The sense it's too easy to gamble and become addicted to gambling.

It's a cultural thing in part but the bookmakers have done themselves few favours in recent times with some poor PR. 

Any publicity is good publicity so down the line what will be the fallout from the gamestop frenzy in days to come,at the moment the hedge funds are the losers and for every winner that is what you need,a loser so I suspect that this publicity will suck in a lot of victims driven by the big boys wanting to recoup.

Last Sunday there was a huge orchestrated gamble which began on the Saturday evening when three long-priced horses were backed in doubles and trebles. The early players got on at huge prices and the gamble snowballed into Sunday.

FIRE AWAY was backed from 22/1 to Evens and landed the opening novice chase at Musselburgh.

BLOWING DIXIE was punted from 10/1 to 4/6 and won a 2400m handicap at Southwell.

GALLAHERS CROSS was backed from 40/1 to 4/6 but finished only fourth in the concluding hunter chase at Musselburgh.

The potential payout had all three won is estimated at £50 million but that could be an underestimate. Some of the punters did okay by getting the double up in the first two (which paid 230/1 on the best prices). The way the money was placed by=passed the bookmakers' usual keen intelligence and by the time the bookies realised something was going on the money was down.