RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tasman man

Wellington Cup ....still a popular event !

On 2/11/2021 at 6:43 PM, Al Feilding said:

Then with Transmission gully, and Pekapeka to Otaki near complete and Otaki to levin on the drawing board.Foxton will be an easy drive in less than an hour.

The Kapiti Coast is one of the fastest growing in the country so development out that way would make sense.

Tauherinikau on Waitangi Day was UGE - 12 to14000 there.. Lots of kids hence the rough number. And at $20 per adult.

The fun police got the middle finger. Six stubbies or one wine per adult byo limit. Pony race for kids was fair dinkum. Sack and 3 legged races AND a lolly scramble. Eight or more bouncy castles. and a miniature railway ran all day, carriages full of happy kids.

I walked around saw no cops or security. No bad behaviour anywhere. GREAT DAY

24 minutes ago, Nerula said:

Tauherinikau on Waitangi Day was UGE - 12 to14000 there.. Lots of kids hence the rough number. And at $20 per adult.

The fun police got the middle finger. Six stubbies or one wine per adult byo limit. Pony race for kids was fair dinkum. Sack and 3 legged races AND a lolly scramble. Eight or more bouncy castles. and a miniature railway ran all day, carriages full of happy kids.

I walked around saw no cops or security. No bad behaviour anywhere. GREAT DAY

And better fields than usual. Good to see trainers supporting the events that attract big crowds.

On 2/12/2021 at 4:32 PM, mikenz said:

Riverton fields were better than Waikouiti were getting in recent years yet Waikouiti 2 weeks later were pretty good as well,Riverton have raced at new years before,not jan 1 but a day or two later,weather the turnover figures were better or worse comparing the two clubs it would be nice to know.

mikenz......you often mention Waikouaiti , unsure why ! Possibly you think it hard done by !

I been to Waikouaiti many times and often wonder why its sole gallops date was on New Years day which has got to be one of the best , if not the best date for racing on the calendar.Obviously it snared that date many decades ago.

Its not exactly a tourist spot ...now days most of Otago/Southland goes to Central Otago ....and has few if any gallopers trained in the area !

Horse support seems to have dwindled over the years , and MPitman seemed to keep the place going.

Turnovers would suggest that it did poorer than most other provincial tracks that have Summer dates over the festive season .Not an iconic day IMO.

In view of that ,plus the extra costs associated with Public Holidays little wonder that the date has been given to a Club which can overall produce a better outcome.

What's your case for Waikouaiti ?

8 minutes ago, tasman man said:

mikenz......you often mention Waikouaiti , unsure why ! Possibly you think it hard done by !

I been to Waikouaiti many times and often wonder why its sole gallops date was on New Years day which has got to be one of the best , if not the best date for racing on the calendar.Obviously it snared that date many decades ago.

Its not exactly a tourist spot ...now days most of Otago/Southland goes to Central Otago ....and has few if any gallopers trained in the area !

Horse support seems to have dwindled over the years , and MPitman seemed to keep the place going.

Turnovers would suggest that it did poorer than most other provincial tracks that have Summer dates over the festive season .Not an iconic day IMO.

In view of that ,plus the extra costs associated with Public Holidays little wonder that the date has been given to a Club which can overall produce a better outcome.

What's your case for Waikouaiti ?

No case for Waikouiti from me,I've been there a few times a long time ago,last few years it and Omakau were becoming less relevant in the scheme of things,few southern horses went to either,Riverton was a good change,some suggested Washdyke,either way Waikouiti moving back 2 weeks seemed to produce better fields ,as for producing better results,well we don't know the results to form an opinion..

One  question though is how have 2 clubs shifting to Wingatui and Riccarton all of a sudden had a massive lift in stakes,maybe if those stakes were being paid at Waikouiti then maybe it might have not been declining as it has been.

Tasman Man you asked once if I have skin in the game,no I don't,just a casual observer I guess in some ways a bit like the cricket statistician,it's interesting  seeing change,not much it seems for the better but that's life I guess.

You and others know my views on no radio but after 6or 8months I've got use to it,most days now I wouldn't have the foggyist idea what races are on in Oz,with the radio it was in our mindset everyday but after time you just change your habits,if there is a specific race I want to see or hear I might go out of my way to watch,on trackside or listen on rova,otherwise I don't worry about it, there has to be a lot the same.

Have a good day anyway

1 hour ago, napier said:

Waikouaiti was a shit track...spit on it and the races were gone...they did get great crowds but with the prime date so would Riverton or Cromwell.

Strange as it is they had a rodeo scheduled to replace races but the deluge washed it out,I think it's very tidal there.

30 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

Try your library

Look forward to your report 

I don't think people use libraries anymore Tom. Don't think I have been in one for 20 odd years. And as far as I know turnover figures for each meeting aren't available anywhere. I presume this is because the powers that be don't want to be embarrassed by the fact that the popular country and provincial meetings do much better turnovers than the city tracks. I would love to see the turnover figures for Waikouaiti and Banks Pen at their flash new city tracks with tripled stakes compared with racing at their home track.