RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Chris Wood

Thoughts?

Can’t quit fathom why we don’t have a race meeting on here in the North, with it being a public holiday.

Ellerslie and TeTeko shared this day for many years, both successful race days, especially TeTeko with their picnic  atmosphere.

Sadly they are a course that has been closed down, I don’t think that was the right decision. 

1 hour ago, Chris Wood said:

Can’t quit fathom why we don’t have a race meeting on here in the North, with it being a public holiday.

Ellerslie and TeTeko shared this day for many years, both successful race days, especially TeTeko with their picnic  atmosphere.

Sadly they are a course that has been closed down, I don’t think that was the right decision. 

To date NZTR(and or TAB) have still not ring fenced turnover etc, so courses are not rewarded for extra punting patronage.  To run on a public holiday with pay rate peanlties etc is significanlty more expensive.

Sales results were fantastic and TAB punters turnover is up, but I feel we are papering the cracks still.  Pukekohe had no races longer than a mile.  3 open handicaps 1200m, 1400m and 1600m with combined runner total of 20.   Te Rapa has 6 runner race for r74 1400m.  We have a lack of quality and numbers in horses rated above 65 (sold by then).  They removed r82 to get more horses into Open Class, soon they will be removing r74.

Ps, let me know if you can see a 1200m older horse maiden in next 7 days.....

I realise you'd still incur the public holiday charges for many jobs on days like this, but here is a novel idea why not hold Anniversary Day meetings at small country clubs in the region  of the Anniversary  , surely that would create some cost savings with the volunteer base they have and also create those unique days for which the crowds come out for.

Not going to happen I know ,as its pretty obvious how much the current regime at NZTR hates country racing!

1 hour ago, Huey said:

I realise you'd still incur the public holiday charges for many jobs on days like this, but here is a novel idea why not hold Anniversary Day meetings at small country clubs in the region  of the Anniversary  , surely that would create some cost savings with the volunteer base they have and also create those unique days for which the crowds come out for.

Not going to happen I know ,as its pretty obvious how much the current regime at NZTR hates country racing!

It's the tote staff etc that the cost add up on the public holidays. Not sure about starting gates ,farrier and commentator if they are extra on public holidays.  I also believe some transport company's charge extra as well so if your using those then it's a hard one to justify that extra bit when running around for 10k. 

54 minutes ago, Chris Wood said:

And the tote staff are paid pittance!

So too are clubs paid pittance for race days. In fact most stakeholders in racing get a raw deal from NZTR and the TAB.   Weekday prize money is pittance, it’s a disgrace. 

For the avoidance of doubt I think races should have been in today.  But clubs battle. 

3 hours ago, Chris Wood said:

And the tote staff are paid pittance!

I guess that it’s probably exactly the same for stable staff too.

Thank God for the minimum wage in NZ, otherwise in both instances they would be getting even less!

That’s the beauty of the minimum wage, staff get entitled to what they deserve, yesterday, time and a half, day in lieu off,  next Monday the same! 
Horses don’t know it is a public holiday, they need working, watering ,feeding and their boxes cleaned out.

And do you think I charge a surcharge, not on your nelly, cop it on the chin, like most stables.

I do hear a few of the big stables tack it on......

2 hours ago, Chris Wood said:

Just checking on this weekend, no races in the top half of the North Island on Saturday or Monday (Waitangi Day).

What the............

Would have been good to have something on Monday.  

New Plymouth on Saturday and two North Island meetings with our current jockey pool is tough for trainiers and owners, and punters......

4 hours ago, Chris Wood said:

Just checking on this weekend, no races in the top half of the North Island on Saturday or Monday (Waitangi Day).

What the............

No races Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday in the north. Weird. Surely the only weekend all year that this happens? 

The industry isn't being very well run is it?

The gallops should be making more use of Sundays to attract crowds. The trouble is the country clubs are best at attracting crowds and they are hated by NZTR. I might go as far as saying they don't like giving country clubs Sundays as they will be embarrassed to see the crowds attracted. I happened to see a couple of trot races from Motukarara a couple of Sundays ago. Big crowd and the track looked great. It will be interesting to see how many turn up to the relocated Banks Pen meeting in a week or so.

31 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

No races Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday in the north. Weird. Surely the only weekend all year that this happens? 

The industry isn't being very well run is it?

The gallops should be making more use of Sundays to attract crowds. The trouble is the country clubs are best at attracting crowds and they are hated by NZTR. I might go as far as saying they don't like giving country clubs Sundays as they will be embarrassed to see the crowds attracted. I happened to see a couple of trot races from Motukarara a couple of Sundays ago. Big crowd and the track looked great. It will be interesting to see how many turn up to the relocated Banks Pen meeting in a week or so.

No there is certainly an agenda at play and to be honest its actually killing the sport in this country , despite all the PR & BS you are hearing about KM night etc. I know I sound like a broken record but its sucking the sport dry of its base, all very well for these big stables to spend plenty at Karaka but they have got to have someone to race against if they are wanting to put a decent product up.

Look at those noms at NP this weekend, I do hope some big stables are going to come to the rescue with some horses , especially in the 2yo race.

Oz sales date changes dictated the move of Karaka and Millions. Apparently will happen every 4th year.

But not defending the Matamata Monday or the programming for this weekend.

Public Holiday Mondays have been in decline for years (turnover and attendance), hence not as many these days. Turnover must be maximised to have any chance of increasing prizemoney. But also need to address the regions and keep the sport nationally relevant. A balancing act.

1 hour ago, berzerk said:

Oz sales date changes dictated the move of Karaka and Millions. Apparently will happen every 4th year.

But not defending the Matamata Monday or the programming for this weekend.

Public Holiday Mondays have been in decline for years (turnover and attendance), hence not as many these days. Turnover must be maximised to have any chance of increasing prizemoney. But also need to address the regions and keep the sport nationally relevant. A balancing act.

Agree somewhat, but have Pub Holiday Mondays been in decline due to the muggle that is the calendar , there are most certainly public holiday dates that would work in the regions. Surely the public holiday on course costs in particular for the club would be negated by better on course turnover due to it being a public holiday.