RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tasman man

West Coast gallops........Myers stable does well !

Stumble on an old clipping today written after West Coast circuit  in 2015 where Kevin Myers began well with 6 winners and 2 placings at the first meeting ,Greymouth , and by the end of the 4th meeting had started his horses 39 times for 17 x wins and 13 placings.

Out of interest I checked the 2021 results and over the 3 x meetings won 8 x races with 11 placings [2nd or 3rd].

I did a quick check of the years in between ....

2016....11 wins , 9 places

2017..... 3x meetings     9 wins , 12 places  

2018.....2x meetings     6 wins , 9 places

2019....6 wins  ,  9 places 

2020......9 wins , 11 places.

Total in 7 years over 24 meetings ......66 x wins  74 x places

Interesting that other North Island trainers had multiple successes as well.....Kenny Rae , SClotworthy , GRogerson, MBreslin, SCameron, GShaw, PMcKenzie

Clotworthy had a 4 x win day ,and a 3x win day , while Rae and Breslin had 3 x win days.

Others dabbled with some success.... Fuge,Stammers,Green,Patterson,Wheeler , Bidlake,Connors.Yuill.

Interesting IMO

28 minutes ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

Don't think I had a winner? A Very close Second in the Miss Scenic Land nearest I have been on the coast I think. 

Correct.....I included seconds as 'dabbling with success' if in a $20k or more race...Connors the same.

Also Howarths.

Quite a few Northern raiders over the years ....a good trip away for both horse and trainer !

Many Northerners never been to the Coast !

8 hours ago, tasman man said:

Correct.....I included seconds as 'dabbling with success' if in a $20k or more race...Connors the same.

Also Howarths.

Quite a few Northern raiders over the years ....a good trip away for both horse and trainer !

Many Northerners never been to the Coast !

Yep a great trip. Took the family down for the week, the Mrs and kids who don't follow racing at  all loved it, staying in a pub in Hokitika and doing all the tourist stuff during the day. 

8 hours ago, napier said:

Is Breslin still training ?

King Couger was on Coast but not sure if he's been leased or went through Gavel house as not with Breslin  anymore . Breslin goes well on Coast when he heads down .

I see Tormund and Fishermans Blues has stayed down and moved from Myers to Blackadder.  Tormund due a win , third run was no good on Coast but 3 in 5 days tough ask . 

Bonjeur not shown in Harris stable now , hopefully turns up somewhere else and not injured , certainly wouldn't have been sacked I'd have thought on those Coast runs .

11 hours ago, tasman man said:

Stumble on an old clipping today written after West Coast circuit  in 2015 where Kevin Myers began well with 6 winners and 2 placings at the first meeting ,Greymouth , and by the end of the 4th meeting had started his horses 39 times for 17 x wins and 13 placings.

Out of interest I checked the 2021 results and over the 3 x meetings won 8 x races with 11 placings [2nd or 3rd].

Interesting that other North Island trainers had multiple successes as well.....Kenny Rae , SClotworthy , GRogerson, MBreslin, SCameron, GShaw, PMcKenzie

Clotworthy had a 4 x win day ,and a 3x win day , while Rae and Breslin had 3 x win days.

Others dabbled with some success.... Fuge,Stammers,Green,Patterson,Wheeler , Bidlake,Connors.Yuill.

Interesting IMO

Mckenzie a couple  years back ran a horse called Malachite twice in a day at Hokitika , about 20 odd years back I saw it at Omoto with horse called Trifox . Trifox must have been a hard bugger as done the twice in a day twice in career as did same on Blemheim circuit .

Can remember  from memory owner trainer from Wairau Valley Blenheim Jack Fowler raced Silver Fountain Twice in the day at Greymouth winning both. Around 1968, Mouse Mcann rode one of those wins. Possibly last horse to win 2 on a day?

Trifox ran on 17th 19th and 19th January 2001 and 9th May 11th May and 11th May 2001 , then later had a good over the jumps .

I remember the day at Omoto as I scribbled him out my book in last race as assumed I missed the scratching earlier on, then he walked into birdcage .

13 hours ago, tasman man said:

Interesting IMO

"Interesting" an understatement TM--seems we are already in the "company of greatness" so give that man a "gong". (A true genius horseman who doesn't court the media to do his bidding; in fact eschews their presence due to their duplicity).

17 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

"Interesting" an understatement TM--seems we are already in the "company of greatness" so give that man a "gong". (A true genius horseman who doesn't court the media to do his bidding; in fact eschews their presence due to their duplicity).

His horses turn up in birdcage always the same , hard buggers . Loved Scapolo , Titch , Our Alchemist on the Coast plus many others ,and his jumpers   the list goes on and on . He is a genius . 

Didn't he have something to do with Descarado I think it was called,  Caulfield Cup win for Gai Waterhouse , I know he raced a half bro of his few years back. 

L. H. Pratt (Lionel) was the master at preparing horses for the Coast circuit. From memory, I believe a horse was rehandicapped 10lbs for each win but it made no difference to the likes of Julloch and Cloudy View among many others. He had a couple of handy jockeys, too.

By the time the last meeting came around, there was always enough weight for the heaviest of the Skeltons, Errol, to hop on and get some wins.

Never forget his coming into the Regent Restaurant in Reefton and ordering steak and chips.

Meeting Errol one day at Riccarton I asked him if it was true that all the Skelton boys rode in a race. Yes indeed. At Reefton. The only time..

Great family.