RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tasman man

Wellington Cup Day......are you going ?......are you getting involved ?

I'm increasingly leaning towards taking the favourite on in the Cup. (The money says I'm wrong as into $3.20 from $3.50 since FF betting opened)

I struggle backing a horse at those odds first time over 2 miles and coming out of 5 starts at R74 grade (prior to that R65 with one exception). 

The Ritchie runners and a few out of the NZ Cup, plus a saver on Jacksstar for me. Cover the fav in a quaddie ticket possibly...

11 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

Joe Biden is several years older than me, but I might have his problem.  I know that Eiffel Tower beat Dandeinee in 1965 but who won recently; I have no recollection.

I'm like that,not that old but things from my youth,I can recall like a computer but events recently,like Xmas and main sporting events they just pass by like everyday occurrence.

11 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

Joe Biden is several years older than me, but I might have his problem.  I know that Eiffel Tower beat Dandeinee in 1965 but who won recently; I have no recollection.

Certainly Trentham races were on a pedestal back in those days ,particularly from us enthusiasts in the South Island.

To us the Champagne Turf along with Peter Kelly hosted the National Sales and many of the key races which were seen as the " National Championship ".

So horses from all over met there to slug it out and see who was the best.

The Wellington Cup was the jewel in the crown.......a step toward the biggie ....the Melbourne Cup.

So Trentham hosted the top staying race ,the top sprint, the top mile[George Adams ] ,top mares races [Cuddle Stakes] top agegroup races ,top winter races[ Whyte,Winter Oats,Parliamentary ] top hack race [Douro] some of best jumping races plus quirky races like Chalmers, NI Challenge Stakes which were often targeted.

Wellington Cup the ultimate staying test on big track in mid summer.....they said milers could win Auckland Cup while the Telegraph on straightish track not seen as favouring the inside draws. Telegraph was possibly NZ's first $million race tho stand to be corrected.

So the top South Islanders aimed for Trentham , and with Central Districts training centres so strong eg Woodville ,Hastings,Awapuni,Foxton etc this was the National Champs with the odd horse from North trying to adapt to running anti-clockwise.

The top trainers on premiership  were from the South ....Cochrane ,Winsloe,Hillis ,ADidham,DPWilson,Anderton .........and only the real cream from North with horses like Mayo Gold ,Blue Blood , Good Lord could match the Southern and Central Districts dominanc.

Yea ,yeah what about  the dozens of other Northern stars but who can match Castletown,LaMer , Showgate,  GreyWay ,Fury's Order ,Kiwi ,Great Sensation etc

How things have changed........has the Wellington region given up ? 

They did with trotting !

Liking the look of Te Akau Caliburn each way FF at 11s and 350 , had time to settle in to life down under , got decent form overseas . Building nice and really like the last run in City Auckland Cup when squeezed a bit late  . Slight stamina doubts at 2 miles I reckon  , damside looks more 1200 to 1600 range but looks decent ew value .Runs off correct weight as well .

The grandam Glen Kate was a name in the crevices of my memory so checked her out , she went three unbeaten at Sir Henry Cecil's back in the days of Steve Cauthen them got shifted Stateside into the Bill (The Shoe ) Shoemaker's barn . He sent her to Hong Kong and got a win in a international race with her over 7 furlongs and won a graded with her at Laural.

On 1/26/2021 at 5:39 PM, We're Doomed said:

17 in Wgtn on Saturday so no need to worry about a heat wave. Was thinking of going myself, but my god those fields aren't what they used to be. Is it correct that the entire Cup field is weighted on 53 except for three horses on 54, 55 and 57? And nine or less in the Thorndon, that must be the smallest field ever. And don't say Melody Belle has scared them away. I was there the year Bonecrusher raced in it; big field that year.

We're Doomed, I vaguely remember Great Sensation's Cup of, I think, 1962.

He had 9 st 7 lbs - 60.3 kg - and got up to beat Stipulate with a real longshot called Blue Blade who'd dashed away 4 furlongs out hanging on for third with 7 st 1 lb - 44.9 kg.

Blue Blade - my Mum loved greys! - paid enough for a place for my Mum to buy us a tent-for-four that we went camping away with for years to come.

13 hours ago, soliloquy said:

Solesefei, Gorbachev and Magic Chai I believe. Before them, Savaria and Mister Impatience (who nosed out Penthathlon and cost me a bit). Graphic and Blood Brotha were also earlier in the decade but the exact order escapes me without looking.

There's no real need for gatekeeping over who can or can't remember them. Some people just want to enjoy themselves and get on the piss and it's one of the few days where it happens on a racecourse and earns a club a bit of money. 

The cup field is indeed pretty shit quality wise but at least it's still a good betting race and a good spectacle 🙂

I only remembered Solsefei as I backed it at 12s or something, after a decent Marton cup run. 

On 1/27/2021 at 11:16 AM, tasman man said:

Make it a great day !......please report back after and maybe tell why only the one visit per year !

And thoughts from your mates!

Customer research !

Here's my feed back. We left the course around race 7 and went to the Tote instead. 

The rooms above the Public Stand were closed to a couple of private functions. That's where we have gone for the past ten years or more. 

Plus the roof top was closed, no one could give me a reason why. 

You had to queue for at least 20 minutes to get a beer. Betting queues were getting pretty long as well. 

We will be thinking again before going back after at least 10 years of tradition of coming to my house for breakfast before heading over. Maybe I am getting too old for this, I am on the wrong side of 55.

I suggested if we want to keep doing this, perhaps we look at a different race day, Wellington Cup Day is too crazy. 

I am serious. Best viewing spot. We tried to go up there but it was closed-off. The security people did not know why it was closed. Can't have been an earthquake issue otherwise the whole stand would have been closed. 

No doubt something to do with Work Safety. 

If it was open just for the private function people, I will be p.ssed off. 

12 hours ago, Hacko said:

Here's my feed back. We left the course around race 7 and went to the Tote instead. 

The rooms above the Public Stand were closed to a couple of private functions. That's where we have gone for the past ten years or more. 

Plus the roof top was closed, no one could give me a reason why. 

You had to queue for at least 20 minutes to get a beer. Betting queues were getting pretty long as well. 

We will be thinking again before going back after at least 10 years of tradition of coming to my house for breakfast before heading over. Maybe I am getting too old for this, I am on the wrong side of 55.

I suggested if we want to keep doing this, perhaps we look at a different race day, Wellington Cup Day is too crazy. 

I was there. It was pretty boring and pathetic for an actual punter. The facilities are so run down and you have no idea what is happening. It is just for the party goers now. A punter is better off at home with a computer to see the form and odds and place a bet, and a decent TV to view the race. The fields were ordinary and the Group 1 was an embarrassment to be honest. I cringed listening to the hype afterwards about how great the winner was. when you consider what she beat. And I was disappointed no none mentioned the  sad demise of the 2nd fav in the post race speeches.

I think it is pretty safe to say it will be my last Wgtn Cup meeting. Not the day it once was.