RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tasman man

Wellington Cup Day......are you going ?......are you getting involved ?

Who is going and will the heat wave be in the Hutt on Saturday ?

Historically this has been one of NZ's top days ,but in recent times , some have cast doubts.

Two years ago it was NZ's top day for turnover.....

Have the Wellington/CD folk lessened their appetite for their big day out ?

They lost their love of Harness many moons ago !

The champagne turf meetings were once seen as the National championships of racing and many of NZ's top races were held there.

The Wellington Cup the jewel in crown .

Yep I am heading up Tasman. Have done so for the last 5 years or so  - met a cracking group of people with a carpark out the back etc  and tickets for members lunch and breakfast at pub by train station. Fantastic day out. The racing is less of an issue for me than it would be at the NZ or Auckland Cup Carnivals being brutally honest - but i will be in boots n all on the punt too.

If anyone has a spare ticket for the sold out Gindulgence festival on the Sunday I'm a starter ;)

1 hour ago, chelseacol said:

Yep I am heading up Tasman. Have done so for the last 5 years or so  - met a cracking group of people with a carpark out the back etc  and tickets for members lunch and breakfast at pub by train station. Fantastic day out. The racing is less of an issue for me than it would be at the NZ or Auckland Cup Carnivals being brutally honest - but i will be in boots n all on the punt too.

If anyone has a spare ticket for the sold out Gindulgence festival on the Sunday I'm a starter ;)

Wellington Cup nothing like it used to be...very poor field this year.

Suprised you aren’t in mourning anyway Col......Fat Frank getting the boot from Roman today.....?! 😉

17 in Wgtn on Saturday so no need to worry about a heat wave. Was thinking of going myself, but my god those fields aren't what they used to be. Is it correct that the entire Cup field is weighted on 53 except for three horses on 54, 55 and 57? And nine or less in the Thorndon, that must be the smallest field ever. And don't say Melody Belle has scared them away. I was there the year Bonecrusher raced in it; big field that year.

Might have been on another thread where someone commented that the ARC with the Karaka focus, heading into AKL cup, has done Wellington no favours. You look at the depth of our WFA horses and sprinters, let alone stayers, and aside from MB, Avantage, Levente perhaps and Probabeel - aint a whole lot of group or WFA quality. 

15 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

17 in Wgtn on Saturday so no need to worry about a heat wave. Was thinking of going myself, but my god those fields aren't what they used to be. Is it correct that the entire Cup field is weighted on 53 except for three horses on 54, 55 and 57? And nine or less in the Thorndon, that must be the smallest field ever. And don't say Melody Belle has scared them away. I was there the year Bonecrusher raced in it; big field that year.

17 degrees in Wellington,that is kind of a heatwave for there ain't it?😂

1 hour ago, Hacko said:

I will be there with around 10 others. My only visit to a race course each year. I only live around 500 metres from the main gate. 

Guys come to my place for a BBQ breakfast first, have a couple of beers and then head over. 

Make it a great day !......please report back after and maybe tell why only the one visit per year !

And thoughts from your mates!

Customer research !

1 hour ago, Trump said:

The way Waisake won over 2200m last start at Trentham carrying 59kg, very strong thru the line, suggests that on 53kg - might be hard to beat - as long as the Jockey has patience! 

Sam Collett as good as any Trumpy...The Good Fight and Dragon Storm the dangers.

Keep an eye on Kiwi mare Livvy Lass who has gone to Oz and in the last at Geelong today. $15/4 here but you might get better there.

Hasn’t run since early December only query but she has ability and worth following.....😉

2 hours ago, Trump said:

The way Waisake won over 2200m last start at Trentham carrying 59kg, very strong thru the line, suggests that on 53kg - might be hard to beat - as long as the Jockey has patience! 

A few of the stable supporters are hoping so as they started getting on at 26's and have been chasing it down ever since

51 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Keep an eye on Kiwi mare Livvy Lass who has gone to Oz and in the last at Geelong today. $15/4 here but you might get better there

17-5s in Oz. Never won fresh up and drawn 10 is a bit of a worry but good luck to you

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

17-5s in Oz. Never won fresh up and drawn 10 is a bit of a worry but good luck to you

That is the only worry. Draw won’t matter as a natural back runner anyway.

Might prefer a bit of rain too. Has run 1.34 at Ellerslie beating Swords Drawn, Germanicus two good types.

Has a very good turn of foot...the favourite today is an 8 year old so worth a punt for mine.

Will be following her whatever she does today.....👍

On 1/26/2021 at 5:50 PM, Breeder said:

Great to see Sir Patrick Hogan having a good sale. He has sold his yearlings through Carlaw Park and Woburn Farm.  A Tavistock filly went for $440K a little while ago. Had a few other good prices earlier on in the sale. His new brand is PJ in a circle.

5 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Sam Collett as good as any Trumpy...The Good Fight and Dragon Storm the dangers.

Keep an eye on Kiwi mare Livvy Lass who has gone to Oz and in the last at Geelong today. $15/4 here but you might get better there.

Hasn’t run since early December only query but she has ability and worth following.....😉

What about the #11 .... Starring Role ....went good here and Forche not a bad filly either .

6 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Just saw your message re Libby Lass. Good luck if you have an interest - I’ll watch her go around Ohokason. Benchmark 64 races mid-week at Geelong are not my fancy! Pretty even field and she’s around the 14’s on the totes and about $10 Fixed. So no stable plunge - unless it comes late! 

1 hour ago, Trump said:

Just saw your message re Libby Lass. Good luck if you have an interest - I’ll watch her go around Ohokason. Benchmark 64 races mid-week at Geelong are not my fancy! Pretty even field and she’s around the 14’s on the totes and about $10 Fixed. So no stable plunge - unless it comes late! 

Saved your money....better divvy next time.....😉

Interesting, I went to the Wgtn Cup about 12 or 13 years in a row, largely through the 80s, can remember most of the winners: Castletown 3 times, so that was easy, Daria's Fun and Imaprince, who I backed, so one of my favourite winners, Luskin Prince. Went again 5 or 6 years ago, wouldn't have the faintest idea who won. Couldn't tell you a single winner over the last 20 years or so. The last winner I can remember was Cluden Creek, but that was probably because Tony Lee called it by the wrong name. Other than that the only Cup I can remember was the Dulux Cup, but that was because no one had the faintest idea what was going on: no idea who the winner was.

Been in Wgtn several times on Cup day over recent years but never been able to get interested enough to go. May go this week.

I wonder what the response would be if you did a survey at the gate this week and asked people if they had been in recent years and if they had could they name the Cup winners each time they had been?

Solesefei, Gorbachev and Magic Chai I believe. Before them, Savaria and Mister Impatience (who nosed out Penthathlon and cost me a bit). Graphic and Blood Brotha were also earlier in the decade but the exact order escapes me without looking.

There's no real need for gatekeeping over who can or can't remember them. Some people just want to enjoy themselves and get on the piss and it's one of the few days where it happens on a racecourse and earns a club a bit of money. 

The cup field is indeed pretty shit quality wise but at least it's still a good betting race and a good spectacle 🙂