RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

K2 Vendors should feel very Nervous

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Given the lack of physical offshore buyers the K1 sale is heading towards being a disaster for many vendors from what i have observed. Anyone see it differently but either way i would not want to be a K2 vendor

Unfortunately for many breeders today was a train wreck--76 of the presented 180 yearlings sold or were passed in for $60K or less (hardly Book 1 credentials) and I suspect most of the passings were run up to one bid below reserve so who knows what they may have truly sold for. Rogie had a big throw at the stumps, HK bought only a few and all in all, from my perspective anyway the results were very disappointing, considering the number of entries this year is down 20% to start with. We will have to see what tomorrow brings but those 10K maiden stakes obviously not tempting owners.☹️

The average was only down $5k and percentage sold is similar to last year after Day One. The NZB guy I saw interviewed said most people are saying the quality is better in day 2 & 3 --that could be just sales talk, but we will see.

Given the problems of people getting to NZ etc. I think it is going OK. Having said that there were some bargains to be had eg. Te Akau picked a nice Belardo colt (Lot 118) for $40k

6 minutes ago, Breeder said:

The average was only down $5k and percentage sold is similar to last year after Day One. The NZB guy I saw interviewed said most people are saying the quality is better in day 2 & 3 --that could be just sales talk, but we will see.

Given the problems of people getting to NZ etc. I think it is going OK. Having said that there were some bargains to be had eg. Te Akau picked a nice Belardo colt (Lot 118) for $40k

Yep, I'm sure the vendors of the unsold and bottom half of the draft will be delighted about the "bargains"! Using the "average" as a reflection of how the Sale has gone is not that valid when there are a couple of aberrant sales at the top end IMO.

As for the NZB guy, of course they are going to talk it up just like any horse, house or car salesman!

Let's just wait for tomorrow but all I know is that Day One results were not of  Book One standard from my recollection of sales over the last several decades.

Just for interest I went back to the 2020 results for the first 200 lots. 43 sold for $50k or less or passed with a reserve of $50k or less.( There were a few that sold for $20K.)

2020  had everyone who wanted come to NZ there. The other thing this year, is a lot more than usual NZ yearlings are being sold at the Aussie sales. I presume this is because of Covid restrictions.

I'm just trying to put yesterday into perspective.

3 minutes ago, Breeder said:

Just for interest I went back to the 2020 results for the first 200 lots. 43 sold for $50k or less or passed with a reserve of $50k or less.( There were a few that sold for $20K.)

2020  had everyone who wanted come to NZ there. The other thing this year, is a lot more than usual NZ yearlings are being sold at the Aussie sales. I presume this is because of Covid restrictions.

A good point made here !

I do sense too ,as chevy 86 alludes to above that the prevalence of $10k maiden stakes and the low returns of racing  in NZ generally will eventually hit hard...the resilience of NZ owners really being tested.

Training numbers seem to hold up , but many contrentrate on pretraining and trading !

JMO

23 minutes ago, Breeder said:

Surely youd also have to be pretty happy with the Almanzor prices off the 30k fee, some nice ones still to come.

https://www.nzthoroughbred.co.nz/blog/post/43869/New-focus-at-The-Oaks-Stud/

New focus at The Oaks Stud

August 19, 2019

/images/blog/efbd279c8f6ec561db82d53973d04f7c__bb1b/zoom668x445z100000cw668.jpg?etag=5e0a836bba9e2c46c7c4fd8388ddc8e9

Catalyst winning at New Plymouth earlier this year.

Peter Rubery (Race Images Palmerston North)

There has been a change of direction by The Oaks Stud owner Dick Karreman with some of the younger horses and the likelihood of some further major decisions to be made in a year or so.

Since purchasing The Oaks Stud in 2002, the successful Queenslander has watched a steady stream of winners emerge from the Cambridge property, either bred and raced or sold by the stud, or progeny of one of its resident stallions.

He has enjoyed many highlights with home-bred fillies, headed by the seven-time Group One winner and dual New Zealand Horse of the Year Seachange, while Recite was a dual Group One winner, Artistic won the Gr.1 New Zealand Oaks (2400m) when beating his other filly Zurella, Risque won the Gr.1 New Zealand 1000 Guineas (1600m), Seachange’s half-sister Keepa Cruisin won the Gr.1 Levin Classic (1600m) and Devise took out the Gr.1 Haunui Farm WFA Stakes (1600m).

The practice at The Oaks Stud, like other studs, has been to put the colts on the market, but this year there have been a few notable exceptions with Karreman turning down sizeable offers for a trio of three-year-old geldings by Darci Brahma, who heads The Oaks sire line-up.

Following impressive trials performances, Catalyst, Double Impact and Darci’s Tune were the subject of a total seven-figure offer.

“Dick said he just wants to have some fun racing good horses,” Rick Williams, The Oaks Stud’s General Manager said.

“He’s made his mind up and I’m excited with the young team we’ve got to race, plus some good older ones like Obsessive. These three geldings we kept are showing what the best horses we’ve had in the past have shown me.

“I know they are all up to competing in stakes races then we’ll find out how good they are.”

/images/blog/884f38055ded657a579493ced424d78b__438e/zoom561x373z84000cw668.jpg?etag=85e94a325e705ad222e6573a40d1d639

Rick Williams and Dick Karreman

Trish Dunell

Trained at Te Awamutu by Clayton Chipperfield, Catalyst was unbeaten in three trials before being a five and a half-length winner in his second start, at New Plymouth in May. After a spell he stylishly won over 1040m at the Te Teko trials a fortnight ago and is being set for the Listed El Roca – Sir Colin Meads Trophy (1200m) at Hastings on August 31.

Double Impact is unbeaten in two trials for trainer Brendon Hawtin and will debut at Taupo on Wednesday in the LA – The Oldest Family Owned Stud 3YO Maiden 1100m.

“He’s drawn badly (16), but he’s very smart,” Williams said.

The Oaks Stud’s interest in the Taupo meeting will also be focused on Kali, a Darci Brahma filly trained by Tony Pike who created a huge impression with a comprehensive debut win at Hastings in April after two trials wins.

“We bought the majority interest in her,” Williams said. “She had a run at the Te Teko trials and is an exciting filly.”

Darci’s Tune, the other member of the retained trio of geldings, was runner-up at the Te Teko trials in June and has been sent to Ballarat trainer Patrick Payne.

“We wanted to split them up a bit so he’ll get his chance in Melbourne,” Williams said.

“We could be sending others to Patrick Payne, too. Dummy (Kevin Myers) may decide to send Ave Maria (a hurdles winner for the Oaks Stud at Wanganui on Sunday) over to him.

“We’ve done well with the horses we have in Australia. We sent Paint The Town and Suretoshine over to Bevan Laming and between them they have won over A$150,000 in the last two months.

“We’ve got five horses in Australia at the moment and we’ll be looking to send more.

“Dick has stuck loyal to New Zealand racing, but there needs to be some major changes in the next 12 months. New Zealand racing can’t carry on like it is.

“RITA needs to make the right decisions and adopt the Messara report. We can’t afford to leave it like it is any longer.”

As well as sending broodmares to Australia, The Oaks Stud has obviously continued to patronise its own sires, Darci Brahma, Roc de Cambes and Niagara. Seachange is in foal to Darci Brahma and due in early October, but no decision has been made yet on her next mating.

Over recent years The Oaks Stud has trimmed its broodmare band to approximately 50 mares and at the National Broodmare Sale on the Gold Coast in May the stud purchased the well-bred Hill Of Grange for A$280,000.

A winner, Hill Of Grange is a half-sister to Heatherly, a Group Two winner and twice Group One placed, while Heatherly’s younger sister was sold for A$1.4 million as a yearling in Australia. Hill Of Grange is from a half-sister to Linton, the Gr.1 Stradbroke Handicap (1400m) winner who was three times Group One placed.

“She’s gone to Lonhro. He’s the obvious sire for her with what he’s done for the family,” Williams said.

The Oaks Stud has also sub-divided some of its land into the Pukekura housing project.

“It’s been massive,” Williams said. “Stage one of 33 sections has been completed and been popular, we’re working stage two of 47 sections and the third stage of 31 sections will be started in October.

“It hasn’t affected the running of the stud as it only takes up about 10 percent of the 550 acres.” - NZ Racing Desk

On 1/24/2021 at 6:50 PM, chevy86 said:

Yep, I'm sure the vendors of the unsold and bottom half of the draft will be delighted about the "bargains"! Using the "average" as a reflection of how the Sale has gone is not that valid when there are a couple of aberrant sales at the top end IMO.

As for the NZB guy, of course they are going to talk it up just like any horse, house or car salesman!

Let's just wait for tomorrow but all I know is that Day One results were not of  Book One standard from my recollection of sales over the last several decades.

Correction Chevy. Cars have RRP set by the Manufacturers and the only way is down! Horse and house auctions do the opposite - they go up! Please don’t put car salesmen in the same boat :) 

Great to see Sir Patrick Hogan having a good sale. He has sold his yearlings through Carlaw Park and Woburn Farm.  A Tavistock filly went for $440K a little while ago. Had a few other good prices earlier on in the sale. His new brand is PJ in a circle.

Charlie, I presume when he sold Cambridge Stud, he and the new owners saw it as a complete break, so I understand why he did have his yearlings prepared elsewhere. Cambridge Stud would have had a "full barn " and Patrick could still have some say in how his yearlings were prepared at Carlaw and Woburn ; they in turn would learn from his experience.

I heard yesterday that Waikato Stud split their draft roughly 50:50 between NZB and Aussie sales. Others , including Cambridge Stud, have also sent quite a few over to Aussie. This obviously dilutes the Book 1 Sale and a reduction in figures is to be expected. Also it means many yearlings that would have been Book 2 in a normal year got into Book 1 and similarly Book 3 got into Book 2. Therefore we need to be careful comparing data between this year and previous years. Or put another way, if this year is anywhere near close to previous years it has to be considered a good sale.