RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Terribly Disappointing

Very disappointing to see my favourite CWJ ride not recognised in the race names today. I will always remember his ride on Domino in the Oaks. I seem to recall she was at decent odds, led all the way, and I was confident the whole way because he was at the peak of his talents.

Do others have their favourite CWJ rides over the years? And does anyone know what the man himself might rate as his best rides?

10 hours ago, TurnyTom said:

I have always rated his Railway and Telegraph wins on Loader, particularly the Telegraph, just sheer brilliant rides 

i wish he had a bad ride on loader that day in telelgraph, we would have won it.  that ride on loader that day was CWJ at his absolute best.

he is pure class

53 minutes ago, Shad said:

Very surprised you didn't know, you must be very youthful maybe.

Not at all ! I’m not that good at remembering who ran 3rd in a race. I’ve had the pleasure of winning 3 Group 1 races but can’t tell you who ran 3rd in any of them. However, back to Mercator. The year Vintage Crop won and I was on course for that and had backed Te Akau Nick each way. But still couldn’t tell you who ran 3rd. I’ve been on course for 17 Melb Cup days but ask me who ran 3rd in any of them I’d struggle. Wouldn’t have known/heard of a Chris Johnson back in those days either. His record is certainly testament to his durability. He should talk to Matt Cameron :) 

Impressive credentials, cant claim anything in that league, interesting how somethings just stick in the memory bank, and some dont, did win the gore cup once, any win a good one, did get offered a tiny share in one by invader, but think I will stick closer to home.

1 hour ago, Trump said:

Not at all ! I’m not that good at remembering who ran 3rd in a race. I’ve had the pleasure of winning 3 Group 1 races but can’t tell you who ran 3rd in any of them. However, back to Mercator. The year Vintage Crop won and I was on course for that and had backed Te Akau Nick each way. But still couldn’t tell you who ran 3rd. I’ve been on course for 17 Melb Cup days but ask me who ran 3rd in any of them I’d struggle. Wouldn’t have known/heard of a Chris Johnson back in those days either. His record is certainly testament to his durability. He should talk to Matt Cameron :) 

I know that horse No 3 ran third in that race won by Vintage Crop... but cant remember the horses name though. Only remember because I was in a syndicate at the Petone Working Mens Club and we got the Trifecta of 6 - 23 - 3 and that sticks in my mind.

53 minutes ago, Ponderosa8 said:

I know that horse No 3 ran third in that race won by Vintage Crop... but cant remember the horses name though. Only remember because I was in a syndicate at the Petone Working Mens Club and we got the Trifecta of 6 - 23 - 3 and that sticks in my mind.

Some things you never forget 

One horse I do remember running 3rd in the Melbourne Cup was in 1979. My Bro came from NZ to visit and I took him to the Cup. He wanted to put $5 on a trifecta/trio, comprising Arwon, Dandalieth and Karu. I told him that Karu had no chance of a place as he was from Levin and begged him to pick a local. He did. He still reminds me, “Remember the day Karu ran 3rd in the Melb Cup and the trifecta paid $17,000 and you talked me out of it.......,? Brotherly love - don’t u love it? 

A Chris Johnston memory I cherish - he rode one for us at Ellerslie a couple of years ago. The track was really heavy, plus it was raining on the day and when legging him on, trainer asked CJ to settle back, make a late run down the middle of the track and just come through the field rather than go in or out.

Well, from all appearances the instructions were followed to a tee, last on the corner, weaved through the field going inside and outside horses and the horse won the race. We went in to the jockeys room to get the colours from him and said well done mate.

He looked up with a face just covered in mud, and casually said with his inimitable humility " yeah that worked out quite well, I copped some mud on the goggles at the turn and couldn't see a bloody thing all the way down the straight"!

A true legend of racing.

16 hours ago, Trump said:

On 1/22/2021 at 7:51 PM, Ponderosa8 said:

The mind was mixed up and not so good after all... my trifecta of 6-23-3 was actually the 1995 Melbourne Cup won by Doriemus with Nothin Leica Dane 2nd and it was No 3 Vintage Crop who ran 3rd in that race..

On 1/22/2021 at 6:00 PM, Trump said:

Melbourne Cup results were always a big deal back when you a toddler........most of NZ rejoiced when NZ trifectad the great race when 3 x Kiwis finished almost in line......the story went Hi Jinx was playing Howsie ,fell off the chair and got a lump fff !.......Illumquh trained by Eric Ropiha also ran a second and Ropiha trained Fans for 3rd too.

Other prominent 3rds with Kiwi interest would be Phar Lap.My neighbour Joe Brown [Otago] got 3rd with Reformed ,a Wellington Cup winner. His brother Jim won the 1965 Auckland Cup with Lucky Son who he briefly gave to jockey Bill Skelton to campaign.

Other memorable 3rds were Castletown and Ben Lomond.In your teens you may remember Kythera behind Van Der Hum in the wet and Na Botto behind Empire Rose.

Even more memorable was Second Coming behind Brew ,denying MMoroney a great feat , and of course Xcellent behind Makybe Diva in the greatest race of all.

More recently C'est La Guerre and Who Shot the Barman did Nz proud with 3rds and we will claim some connection with So You Think !

Then there is your favourite Jockey MWalker on Prince of Arran ,then improved to second the following cup ,then 3rd again in 2020 with new rider.