RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Must be tough for Southern Trainers

I think its a bit silly to compare a trainer that franks Kumara form by sending a horse north to run 2nd in a $250,000 Cup, and another trainer who sends a horse up from Riverton to run 4th in a Group 1 race with trainers who are struggling away down south to get a start in maiden $10,000 races.

The main message that comes out of these results is how important the South Island country tracks are to provide contenders and form for major North Island races.

Just wait until the AWT gets going at Riccarton: the SI will dominant Trentham meetings. It wouldn't surprise me if southerners get banned from Trentham for having an unfair advantage. Look what they can achieve using Kumara as a build up: with the AWT they will be unstoppable.

Think many years ago the late Ray Harris took both brutus and scotch mist to avondale, after racing at Reefton, I think it was avondale or maybe Auckland, from memory scotch mist won a major sprint up there, brustus may have done well to, was many a year ago, but someone will remember, goes to show they are just as hard to win on the coast as anywhere else.

3 hours ago, Shad said:

Think many years ago the late Ray Harris took both brutus and scotch mist to avondale, after racing at Reefton, I think it was avondale or maybe Auckland, from memory scotch mist won a major sprint up there, brustus may have done well to, was many a year ago, but someone will remember, goes to show they are just as hard to win on the coast as anywhere else.

They won both legs of the double at Avondale. I think it might have been the Governor General's Cup for Brutus.

5 hours ago, Shad said:

Brutus was a very good performer who travelled extensively and raced several times at Avondale including second to Golden Key[Sanders] in Avondale Champ Stakes and 3rd to My Ay Bee in Avondale Cup.Mr Ay Bee was a southern horse who transferred to Northern stable.

Of course the Wellington Cup carnival basically follows on from the South Island country circuit around New Year so these good horses often come off a 'country' run.

Showgate and Grey Way ran around the lesser tracks like Timaru ,Rangiora ,geraldine etc before Northern hikes.

Showgate won at Kurow before her Telegraph win.

Another top performer Sailing Home raced several times on the Coast ,at Westport and Greymouth.

According to her race record in 'The Great Decade of NZ Racing' 1970-1980 , she had 6 of her 68 starts on the Coast...for 3 wins and 2 seconds ....often at October meetings.

19 hours ago, tasman man said:

Come on now Huey......you getting abusive and trying to hurt my feelings.

I'll never challenge your exalted reputation as one of the most prolific [ and negative ] posters on the Internet.

Do you have runs on the board ?........or just like my barber's cat. All piss and wind !

Who does feed the other horses and hold the horses for the farrier ?

Where have I got abusive?

Tell us how does Millar does it then? Let's hear it? How does he arrange to do it? 

You're pulling an isolated scenario out that most smaller to medium sized stables couldn't do and you know it.

Don't confuse prolific negativity with reality and common sense, most of what I say and many others on this site comes to fruition, its not my fault you live in such a deluded state you believe most of the decisions being made are going to make the industry better, sit back and enjoy the ride.

What is this obsession you have with wanting to know how much skin people have in the game? Do you want to know my bra size as well??? 

15 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I think its a bit silly to compare a trainer that franks Kumara form by sending a horse north to run 2nd in a $250,000 Cup, and another trainer who sends a horse up from Riverton to run 4th in a Group 1 race with trainers who are struggling away down south to get a start in maiden $10,000 races.

The main message that comes out of these results is how important the South Island country tracks are to provide contenders and form for major North Island races.

Just wait until the AWT gets going at Riccarton: the SI will dominant Trentham meetings. It wouldn't surprise me if southerners get banned from Trentham for having an unfair advantage. Look what they can achieve using Kumara as a build up: with the AWT they will be unstoppable.

To be fair the AWT might be what stops them .

The latest SI problem may be this from Saturdays Riccarton meeting. A shortage of Jockeys.

A Balloo | Canterbury 30 January; careless riding; suspended 7-12 February inclusive and fined $350.

S Wynne | Canterbury 30 January; excessive use of whip; suspended 7-12 February inclusive and fined $500.

K Chowdhoory | Canterbury 30 January; careless riding; suspended 7-17 February inclusive and fined $500.

T Comignaghi | Canterbury 30 January; careless riding; suspended 7-18 February inclusive and fined $500.

C Campbell | Canterbury 30 January; excessive use of whip; fined $500.

M Davidson (Chairman), N McIntyre and D Wadley were very busy by the looks of it.

On 2/1/2021 at 10:04 PM, We're Doomed said:

South Island horses have been doing well over the Wellington Cup carnival for decades.....and most of the lead up races in the previous 3-4 weeks comes on the holiday country tracks.

My Southern primary school had 4 x Wellington Cups lined up and there were other neighbours who had one too !

More recently Michael Pitman has done well over the carnival and Southern sprinters also done well in the Telegraph.