RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Must be tough for Southern Trainers

I often look at race-meetings in the South and think it must be incredibly tough for trainers and owners down there, and yet they never seem to complain despite appearing to be treated unfairly.

I note at today's Wingatui meeting 18 ballots have missed starts, primarily in maiden and rating 65 races, and others were eliminated at acceptance time. Only 3 ballots gained starts. Contrast that with Trentham today and Tauranga yesterday where only one race had ballots at each meeting and they would all have gained starts if they so wished.

Probably the next opportunity for those Southerners who missed starts today is Ascot Park on 11 February. The excess of horses today was in maiden and rating 65 class over 1,400m and 1,600m. Gore next week has just one maiden and one rating 65 over 1,335, despite four full fields for those two classes today.

Pity the poor owners who have a maiden stayer. After full fields for that class at Gore on 21 Dec and Kurow on 31 Dec, the next opportunity for a maiden stayer is that Ascot Park meeting on 11 Feb.

And as for owners who lashed out and invested in a 2yo, well their last opportunity was Cup Week.

No one has ever been able to clarify whether the industry is better off running $25,000 6 horse races at the likes of Tauranga than a 14 horse $10,000 race in the South. I suppose at least they save some of the appearance fees in a six horse race. With my basic grasp of maths, I presume those six horse fields in the North are doing more than 2.5 times the turnover of the 14 horse field down South. Can someone confirm this is correct? And can someone confirm that Southern trainers are quite happy with the situation as it is?

The whole programming system is a mess.

Had a 65 horse who never got a start at 5 meetings.

Got a maiden stayer who last raced at riverton on 1st jan,

Nothing coming up til ascot, so gave horse a bit of let up only to be told the day before noms that they are including a maiden 1600at wingatui .. Too bloody late to get horse up to racing..

Only one maiden race at gore.

Where oh where do we get a go.

2 hours ago, Dingle said:

The whole programming system is a mess.

Had a 65 horse who never got a start at 5 meetings.

Got a maiden stayer who last raced at riverton on 1st jan,

Nothing coming up til ascot, so gave horse a bit of let up only to be told the day before noms that they are including a maiden 1600at wingatui .. Too bloody late to get horse up to racing..

Only one maiden race at gore.

Where oh where do we get a go.

Seems a bit rough on you.......unfair .  When did your 65 horse get balloted at 5 meetings ,assuming you mean on the trot ? Recently?

Cos since racing recommenced after lockdown there seems to have been a real effort to ' be fair'.

And cos of the conservative budgets for betting , race programmes often made for 8 races when often 10 end up being carded because the code distributions have been exceeding the budgets.

I know I have a share in a couple of maidens which have had no trouble getting a start when races are added after huge nominations.

I refer to North Island.

3 hours ago, tasman man said:

Seems a bit rough on you.......unfair .  When did your 65 horse get balloted at 5 meetings ,assuming you mean on the trot ? Recently?

Cos since racing recommenced after lockdown there seems to have been a real effort to ' be fair'.

And cos of the conservative budgets for betting , race programmes often made for 8 races when often 10 end up being carded because the code distributions have been exceeding the budgets.

I know I have a share in a couple of maidens which have had no trouble getting a start when races are added after huge nominations.

I refer to North Island.

Different world in the NI Tasman. No way in the wide, wide world would you ever see the 36 scratchings already listed for Waikato maidens and 65s tomorrow at any Southern meeting. Hardly anyone ever scratches out of a race if they get a start in the South. The powers that be hate running ten races in the South,  but 11 is no trouble in the North. Hardship in the North is a Waikato trained maiden having to travel all the way to Tauranga to start in an 8 horse field because they can't get a start closer to home. As Dingle mentioned, the only way for him to get a start with his maiden stayer is to travel 8 hours to Riccarton.

38 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

55 scratchings eventually for maidens and 65s at Te Rapa. All horses that would have got starts if they wanted them. That's close to the number that get balloted and eliminated most weeks in the SI. It's a totally different world.

Be interesting to know why so many scratchings

Just to add 10 races at Gore,everyone there that wants a start gets one,will there be as many scratched?

Just now, mikenz said:

Be interesting to know why so many scratching.

They usually just scratch if they drawn anything wider than about 6. NZTR is already offering to split three races at Matamata for all those who scratched today at Te Rapa. Trainers always know they will have another opportunity in a few days.

3 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

They usually just scratch if they drawn anything wider than about 6. NZTR is already offering to split three races at Matamata for all those who scratched today at Te Rapa. Trainers always know they will have another opportunity in a few days.

Can't they just accept the draw, maybe if no valid reason to scratch then maybe a stand down period might be a good idea.

Or maybe just have 6 horse fields,happens a lot now and lots complain.

2 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

55 scratchings eventually for maidens and 65s at Te Rapa. All horses that would have got starts if they wanted them. That's close to the number that get balloted and eliminated most weeks in the SI. It's a totally different world.

Just being silly now.....obviously 35 of scratchings were ballots and/or double acceptors....add a few wide draws ,plus change of track conditions .

Very adequate field size .....met the industry average......130 horses raced during the day.

For mikenz benefit i w il l e x p l ai n.......d o ub l e a c c e p tor and b a l l o t s m e a n n o h o r s e s m i s s e d s t a r t  !

As for the South Island I been following a few 'maiden' stayers who have had their fair share of opportunities since racing resumed.

McGowan made my cup week ,where stayers had plenty of opportunities then Cromwell ,Asburton , Gore ,Southland, even Reefton .....so many maidens.

Check the history of Eisenhower and Super Tap and see their racing records....sure a bit of travel involved.Supertap has now won twice !

This time last year we had a maiden stayer in North and in the end had to race at Ruakaka adding $600 to travel costs.....no paying back to last then.We actually won about $6k before deductions and expenses....in the terrible field we faced ,and beat , only one horse has won since and that was at Greymouth !

Maiden staying fields tend to be of poor quality and  generally attract poor betting. They are often 'slugs' with no turn of foot or as in the South , North Island rejects.

But as the above mention Southern horses records show ,trainers are prepared to travel......its their choice where they have their stables and the ones who plan find a way eg they travel when they can work out how to get a couple of races in the one trip away.And MPitman up to recently would house horses at Waikouaiti to assist logistics .

They don't cry , they create !

NZ owners are very resillient.

Then there was the Waimate trainer who bought a couple of cheap horses off Gavelhouse ,potential jumpers ,so when lockdown wiped Southern jumping they took their 2 x horses up to Cambridge for a couple of months and had several wins and placings on both flat and jumping.

They got moving...didn't sit at home a moan....poor me...we're doomed , there's no races for us !

12 hours ago, tasman man said:

Just being silly now.....obviously 35 of scratchings were ballots and/or double acceptors....add a few wide draws ,plus change of track conditions .

Very adequate field size .....met the industry average......130 horses raced during the day.

For mikenz benefit i w il l e x p l ai n.......d o ub l e a c c e p tor and b a l l o t s m e a n n o h o r s e s m i s s e d s t a r t  !

As for the South Island I been following a few 'maiden' stayers who have had their fair share of opportunities since racing resumed.

McGowan made my cup week ,where stayers had plenty of opportunities then Cromwell ,Asburton , Gore ,Southland, even Reefton .....so many maidens.

Check the history of Eisenhower and Super Tap and see their racing records....sure a bit of travel involved.Supertap has now won twice !

This time last year we had a maiden stayer in North and in the end had to race at Ruakaka adding $600 to travel costs.....no paying back to last then.We actually won about $6k before deductions and expenses....in the terrible field we faced ,and beat , only one horse has won since and that was at Greymouth !

Maiden staying fields tend to be of poor quality and  generally attract poor betting. They are often 'slugs' with no turn of foot or as in the South , North Island rejects.

But as the above mention Southern horses records show ,trainers are prepared to travel......its their choice where they have their stables and the ones who plan find a way eg they travel when they can work out how to get a couple of races in the one trip away.And MPitman up to recently would house horses at Waikouaiti to assist logistics .

They don't cry , they create !

NZ owners are very resillient.

Then there was the Waimate trainer who bought a couple of cheap horses off Gavelhouse ,potential jumpers ,so when lockdown wiped Southern jumping they took their 2 x horses up to Cambridge for a couple of months and had several wins and placings on both flat and jumping.

They got moving...didn't sit at home a moan....poor me...we're doomed , there's no races for us !

Youre about as silly as the personnel at NZTR that get rid of race meetings at venues and then put 10+ race meetings on at tracks with inadequate facilities (not enough tie ups , stalls etc) and expect the industry to just deal with it.

Now you think stables can just up and take a small team and race them somewhere else on a whim, travelling hours or days at a time. Have you not been reading what  is going on in Aus?

So who works  all the horses left at home?

Who feeds  them, holds them when the farrier is there, changes their rugs etc etc etc? 

You do realise that young horses don't break themselves in , teach themselves to gallop and learn to go through the gates on their own? But youre calling out stables as moaners and doomsayers cause they haven't got the time or operationally its not possible to do what youre suggesting ...pleeeassssse!

The industry is already struggling enough for adequate staff without listening to delusional thinking like this.  

Now you think people have a choice where they train, so the poor guy that trains at Waimate can just sell up and move to Cambridge its that easy is it?

1 hour ago, Huey said:

Youre about as silly as the personnel at NZTR that get rid of race meetings at venues and then put 10+ race meetings on at tracks with inadequate facilities (not enough tie ups , stalls etc) and expect the industry to just deal with it.

Now you think stables can just up and take a small team and race them somewhere else on a whim, travelling hours or days at a time. Have you not been reading what  is going on in Aus?

Who feeds  them, holds them when the farrier is there, changes their rugs etc etc etc? 

You do realise that young horses don't break themselves in , teach themselves to gallop and learn to go through the gates on their own? But youre calling out stables as moaners and doomsayers cause they haven't got the time or operationally its not possible to do what youre suggesting ...pleeeassssse!

The industry is already struggling enough for adequate staff without listening to delusional thinking like this.  

Now you think people have a choice where they train, so the poor guy that trains at Waimate can just sell up and move to Cambridge its that easy is it?

I think the general attitude is that the small trainers who train at the country tracks aren't that important anymore and all the industry needs to succeed is a few big trainers at Matamata and a couple at Riccarton. To that end they are happy to pour resources into AWTs at Riccarton and Awapuni to keep a few trainers happy and leave tracks like Timaru and Oamaru to die off.

The theory is that most SI trainers will eventually see the light and move to Riccarton. If that turns out to be one of those theories that doesn't actually work I don't think there is a plan B.

45 minutes ago, Huey said:

Well well well.....my one small example attracts the 'internets' most prolific poster and his tag team of perennial moaners.

Had the original poster given more details re his horse ,the name and location maybe we could have offered a solution.

The main gist of my post was to counter the silliness of suggesting ballots and double acceptors as 'real scratchings' was a nonsense and aimed to deceive.One poster got hooked.

Of course horses and trainers travel and have staff who attend to home base duties like feeding etc etc. 

Trainers send horses with fellow trainers etc , recently some harness friends campaigned for a few weeks around both Islands while still maintaining their main stable.

I've pottered around stables a bit myself in the past and seen first hand what is possible and what happens.......dealt with a lot of different trainers who travel horses a lot so I talk from my own experience .

Your post barely deserves a reply.....but it is so silly ,you have got it .

The Waimate example just shows what can be done with a positive 'can do ' attitude...and I salute their success.

It staggers me that perennial posters of negativity re racing on the Internet actually claim to have a passion and interest in the sport/Industry....if you love it so much and as some claim ,have some skin in it why continually rubbish it publicly

You Huey are easily baited , recently you claim I was a punter of hot favs ...the type you had met thousands of.

Think you are over-intoxicated by your own exuberance.

A dreamer...I doubt you even have an interest in the Industry.

I don't normally get involved in threads that resort to personal abuse. My comments and those of most other posters on here are directed at the overall system and the inadequacies of industry management. There is no need for Tasman to abuse fellow posters. To be honest, there are few enough people left posting on here, so we don't want to scare off those that remain. I see nothing wrong with healthy debate. Sometimes NZTR policies that I find either strange or incompetent may actually have a sound rationale behind them, but NZTR never come on here to explain anything, so they must be prepared to except criticism, even if some of it is unfounded.

Some of Tasman's statements are a bit bizarre and disingenuous; such as:

That is exactly the point some of us are trying to make. Ballots just about always get a start in the North because so many horses in the field scratch. If a ballot does miss a start there will be another opportunity in a few days. In the South horses are balloted and eliminated every week, with no other opportunities for weeks sometimes. Also, because of poor programming there are often no opportunities for many horses, so they don't even get to the balloted or eliminated stage.  Form is often much harder to follow in the South because so many horses are racing in a class or over a distance that is not ideal for them.

I think we should be encouraging input from people with a passion for the industry and often lots of experience in it. I'm sure we all say silly things at times, but do try and point out people's errors with a certain amount of grace.

Hey I didn't actually realise the size of the acceptors for yesty till I had a look at the fields last night and  monday at Matamata have big fields too,so the number of scratchings,its kind of self explanatory as for the most prolific poster on here and Tasman might mean me lol well it will die a slow death for me one day.

Just to add I was last night looking at some past results,in 2004 Riverton raced at new year,maidens raced for 6 thousand,almost 20 years later were racing for 15 so some small steps must have been made.

15 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I don't normally get involved in threads that resort to personal abuse. My comments and those of most other posters on here are directed at the overall system and the inadequacies of industry management. There is no need for Tasman to abuse fellow posters. To be honest, there are few enough people left posting on here, so we don't want to scare off those that remain. I see nothing wrong with healthy debate. Sometimes NZTR policies that I find either strange or incompetent may actually have a sound rationale behind them, but NZTR never come on here to explain anything, so they must be prepared to except criticism, even if some of it is unfounded.

Some of Tasman's statements are a bit bizarre and disingenuous; such as:

That is exactly the point some of us are trying to make. Ballots just about always get a start in the North because so many horses in the field scratch. If a ballot does miss a start there will be another opportunity in a few days. In the South horses are balloted and eliminated every week, with no other opportunities for weeks sometimes. Also, because of poor programming there are often no opportunities for many horses, so they don't even get to the balloted or eliminated stage.  Form is often much harder to follow in the South because so many horses are racing in a class or over a distance that is not ideal for them.

I think we should be encouraging input from people with a passion for the industry and often lots of experience in it. I'm sure we all say silly things at times, but do try and point out people's errors with a certain amount of grace.

Well if you say disingenuous as to mean dishonest or misleading ,this is exactly what your post was  by suggesting 'No way in the wide world would you see 36 scratchings " when you must know full well these were all the ballots and double acceptors.

That is what I would say as disingenuous ........and an unnecessary negative  post ....totally lacking in grace.

Kinda like your pen name......unnecessary negative IMO.......and my dig at mikenz was intended to type slowly so he could read slowly to get my point.

As to the original post which attracted my reply,from Dingle about missing starts and finding no maiden staying races I have had many personal experiences of this over the past 2 x seasons so thought I could enter the debate.

Like the Aussie cricket captain I may lack decorum ,but this is the internet.

The negativity staggers me ,especially from some who claim to be closely involved in it. The personal criticism of trainers, jockeys, drivers , young participants,commentators is unrelenting and often cruel.

Your fetish about race programmes etc is often valid and should go elsewhere.....and the perennial posters ...the I've been everywhere, done everything men and women ....should channel their amazing knowledge elsewhere too ,where it can be considered to make racing great again !

In the meanwhile I'm looking forward to whats coming up in next while.......buying some new shoes and a fascinator for NZ's best race day.....the Karaka twilight meeting.NZ Cup week still the best event IMO

This time last week I checked out the new Cambridge syn track ,looked over new stables ,walkers, pool being built nearby there .....took in a few Harness races ....talked to a few positive thinking trainers with plenty of skin in the Industry and generally assessed things to enable me to make the odd comment on the Internet.

Like Dingle I got shares in a few horses.....maidens and some others struggling to get starts......maybe there are too many maiden horses around and they should be culled.Maidens not good for betting and while most stakes are $10k for maidens they test the owners resilience.

Less horses and less tracks could be good for NZ racing........why didnt Messara think of that ?

3 hours ago, tasman man said:

Well if you say disingenuous as to mean dishonest or misleading ,this is exactly what your post was  by suggesting 'No way in the wide world would you see 36 scratchings " when you must know full well these were all the ballots and double acceptors.

That is what I would say as disingenuous ........and an unnecessary negative  post ....totally lacking in grace.

Kinda like your pen name......unnecessary negative IMO.......and my dig at mikenz was intended to type slowly so he could read slowly to get my point.

As to the original post which attracted my reply,from Dingle about missing starts and finding no maiden staying races I have had many personal experiences of this over the past 2 x seasons so thought I could enter the debate.

The negativity staggers me ,especially from some who claim to be closely involved in it. The personal criticism of trainers, jockeys, drivers , young participants,commentators is unrelenting and often cruel.

Your fetish about race programmes etc is often valid and should go elsewhere.....and the perennial posters ...the I've been everywhere, done everything men and women ....should channel their amazing knowledge elsewhere too ,where it can be considered to make racing great again !

In the meanwhile I'm looking forward to whats coming up in next while.......buying some new shoes and a fascinator for NZ's best race day.....the Karaka twilight meeting.NZ Cup week still the best event IMO

This time last week I checked out the new Cambridge syn track ,looked over new stables ,walkers, pool being built nearby there .....took in a few Harness races ....talked to a few positive thinking trainers with plenty of skin in the Industry and generally assessed things to enable me to make the odd comment on the Internet.

Like Dingle I got shares in a few horses.....maidens and some others struggling to get starts......maybe there are too many maiden horses around and they should be culled.Maidens not good for betting and while most stakes are $10k for maidens they test the owners resilience.

Less horses and less tracks could be good for NZ racing........why didnt Messara think of that ?

I do enjoy your posts Tasman. We need people with enthusiasm. I try to be enthusiastic myself.

As I explained in earlier post I have just been looking at some of the results from a decade ago,,seemed to be a lot more racing then in the southern area,Gore,Wingatui, Riverton,seemed to have more meetings,you don't seem to notice how things have changed,till you compare,interesting

On 1/21/2021 at 12:43 PM, Huey said:

Less than 2 weeks after being publicly flogged for my 'delusionary' thinking that positive thinking and a bit of travel can bring trainers both starts for their horses and ultimately good outcomes , I notice many trainers have been campaigning horses in both Islands ,even several 'smaller' stables.

Last week Waikato trainer  Daniel Miller was represented at both Gore and Ellerslie ,one of his horses has recently travelled between both Islands with success.

But the standout at the weekend was ex-trotting trainer from Rangiora  Kenny Moore who won a race at Riccarton with a 48/1 shot ,PLUS almost tore off the Wellington Cup with 150/1 shot Bluey's Chance , a horse which cost $500 at South Island Sale. He sent it North for a few days and had not even met the jockey who had been riding the work.

Maybe this provides a clue to Huey and his loyal band of followers who asked "who feeds the horses and holds the horses for the Farrier !"

On 1/21/2021 at 4:42 PM, tasman man said:

what gives you the divine right to criticize a post for what is a frequent challenge in the south island.

i have had shares in a couple of stayers in the south island, and unless you are based at Riccarton, the programming is often diabolical.

This has been raised so many many times with various bodies and little is done about it, the amount of times from various leaders I have seen they are reviewing the programming.  However this is a public forum here were we can further raise these issues. And is a public forum which is read by different bodies involved within the industry.

It is not being negative, it is simply a matter of fact.  As im sure some other South Island trainers on here can confess to.

You cite 2 examples of a couple of stayers, but there are many horses that struggle to get a start.  How often do you see in the south capacity size maidens, but fewer noms for rating 65.

Whilst it is a criticism of the programming, that doesnt change ones enthusiasm for the industry, they are after all enthusiastic enough to be participants, in which in most cases your on a hiding to nothing anyway, and that takes some bravery, passion and a few coins in the pocket

18 hours ago, tasman man said:

Less than 2 weeks after being publicly flogged for my 'delusionary' thinking that positive thinking and a bit of travel can bring trainers both starts for their horses and ultimately good outcomes , I notice many trainers have been campaigning horses in both Islands ,even several 'smaller' stables.

Last week Waikato trainer  Daniel Miller was represented at both Gore and Ellerslie ,one of his horses has recently travelled between both Islands with success.

But the standout at the weekend was ex-trotting trainer from Rangiora  Kenny Moore who won a race at Riccarton with a 48/1 shot ,PLUS almost tore off the Wellington Cup with 150/1 shot Bluey's Chance , a horse which cost $500 at South Island Sale. He sent it North for a few days and had not even met the jockey who had been riding the work.

Maybe this provides a clue to Huey and his loyal band of followers who asked "who feeds the horses and holds the horses for the Farrier !"

I think it provides more of a clue about how ignorant you are about the industry and how it works.

Did Millar take all his horses down to the SI for races over this extended period of time? Was he even at Riccarton to watch the horse win on Saturday? Where were the horses stabled and who looked after them?

Your other example is someone going somewhere for  a carnival, hello everyone knows that goes on. You were claiming that trainers can just up and find races elsewhere if they are not in their region.

11 hours ago, Varro said:

what gives you the divine right to criticize a post for what is a frequent challenge in the south island.

i have had shares in a couple of stayers in the south island, and unless you are based at Riccarton, the programming is often diabolical.

This has been raised so many many times with various bodies and little is done about it, the amount of times from various leaders I have seen they are reviewing the programming.  However this is a public forum here were we can further raise these issues. And is a public forum which is read by different bodies involved within the industry.

It is not being negative, it is simply a matter of fact.  As im sure some other South Island trainers on here can confess to.

You cite 2 examples of a couple of stayers, but there are many horses that struggle to get a start.  How often do you see in the south capacity size maidens, but fewer noms for rating 65.

Whilst it is a criticism of the programming, that doesnt change ones enthusiasm for the industry, they are after all enthusiastic enough to be participants, in which in most cases your on a hiding to nothing anyway, and that takes some bravery, passion and a few coins in the pocket

No divine right champ .........but I post from personal experience having lived over 50 years in South Island and seen and battled through some of the ups and downs of racing in the South Island.

Plus had plenty of experience / frustrations with getting horses starts in suitable races.

Even in the North a start with a maiden or r65 can be an issue........sometimes even takes a bit of planning ,foresight and expensive travel even !

Maiden staying races are often the most difficult to find when most needed ......sometimes early on card and not great betting races......horses trying a distance as a last resort or North Island rejects. A bit of form and/or a turn of foot helps rating and prospects.

Sometimes a horse is just surplus to requirements.

JMO...no divine right , just talking from many examples/experiences !

1 hour ago, Huey said:

I think it provides more of a clue about how ignorant you are about the industry and how it works.

Did Millar take all his horses down to the SI for races over this extended period of time? Was he even at Riccarton to watch the horse win on Saturday? Where were the horses stabled and who looked after them?

Your other example is someone going somewhere for  a carnival, hello everyone knows that goes on. You were claiming that trainers can just up and find races elsewhere if they are not in their region.

Come on now Huey......you getting abusive and trying to hurt my feelings.

I'll never challenge your exalted reputation as one of the most prolific [ and negative ] posters on the Internet.

Do you have runs on the board ?........or just like my barber's cat. All piss and wind !

Who does feed the other horses and hold the horses for the farrier ?

This is becoming boring 

Ask any Riccarton trainer if they can flick a horse or two to the NI for a month and guess the answer, a resounding bloody no, as simple as that as most struggle to keep them in work and race locally. 

Boring dreaming thread, nonsense 

Good on Kenny for taking bluey up for the cup, probably the best run, other than the winner, did sit parked the trip, and nothing but the winner looked like getting past him, had a mate that took the quinella, just on staying sires , but alas was let down by the a tab site that either slow or resetting it self all the time, always good to see the southerners travel up north, and yep it is an expensive trip, but for majority it's just the passion of racing.