RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Contentious

Group 1 day at Trentham

It will be super racing, on a great surface.

The two Group Ones are run at equal weights so 12 in each is pretty good. 

If the Telegraph was still a handicap, there would be 18 in it, but it wouldn't still be rated as a Group One...as simple as that!

Liz

As Liz says, the Telegraph is WFA, so 12 noms is pretty good, and the 3yo  race comes a week before a $1m race at Ellerslie. Certainly not ideal for the pattern of racing, but that is the way Auckland does things. They have always wanted to interfere with Wellington's Cup Week and these days they are allowed to do what they like.

12 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

As Liz says, the Telegraph is WFA, so 12 noms is pretty good, and the 3yo  race comes a week before a $1m race at Ellerslie. Certainly not ideal for the pattern of racing, but that is the way Auckland does things. They have always wanted to interfere with Wellington's Cup Week and these days they are allowed to do what they like.

Strange. I didn’t realise that the ARC controlled the Programming of races.

21 minutes ago, voice of reason said:

the weakest telegraph for some time.

would have thought trentham would suit levante's style of racing perfectly

Still a very interesting race Tavi Mac vs Avantage va Marscapone vs Enzos Lad

The 2 & 3yo races are super exciting ( no way the K million 2yo race will have as a good a field as the Wellesley this year) all taking place on the best track in the country!

1 hour ago, voice of reason said:

the weakest telegraph for some time.

would have thought trentham would suit levante's style of racing perfectly

thats what i would of thought. if it gets onto a big roomy surface like trentham or riccarton it will be winning especially down the chute.  thats a shame will have to get used to finishing in the fastest 600 and running second

1 hour ago, mike28 said:

thats what i would of thought. if it gets onto a big roomy surface like trentham or riccarton it will be winning especially down the chute.  thats a shame will have to get used to finishing in the fastest 600 and running second

Going for Westbury classic isn't she, $100k race just up the road compared to big trip away to Trentham, extra week prep, she is only 4yo plenty of time to get a G1 on CV you can't tell me she is going to run into horses of the quality of the 4 I've mentioned in Telegraph in that race.

9 hours ago, Trump said:

Strange. I didn’t realise that the ARC controlled the Programming of races.

If you go back to traditional dates, Auckland used to hold the Derby on Boxing day, the Auckland Cup on New Year's day and then the Rich Hill mile a day or two later. Mid Jan they held a very low key meeting with $10,000 races, they used to muck around with a low key meeting on Anniversary Day, then the Air NZ Stakes a few weeks later, and the Easter Handicap at Easter. Marton used to hold a decent enough lead up to the Wgtn Cup meeting mid January and then Wgtn used to race Saturday, Monday (Anniversary Day) and Saturday (Cup Day).

Now Auckland have retained their Boxing Day and New Years Day meetings without their traditional features. They have added a brand new meeting mid January clashing with Wgtn, with two races that aren't even group races, but still receive $600,000 of industry funding. Wgtn has had to shuffle their meetings and races around to their detriment. The Group 2 Wakefield has had to be moved (attracting a terrible field and in danger of losing its status) and replaced with a listed race, which has attracted a better field than Auckland's $1m race.

Auckland then hold a brand new week of racing in March with the Derby and Auckland Cup, and  a few weeks later try to hold the Easter Handicap as far away from Easter as possible.

So, some may suggest that Auckland has no control over programming, but whoever the mystery person is who has initiated all of these changes they are certainly having a significant impact on the whole pattern of racing in NZ.  I'm surprised the Aussies haven't poached them and moved Melbourne Cup Week to January.

It was strange to see such a lack of hype around the Telegraph, for me one of our greatest races. But how good was Avantage! It looks like they are hyping the Wellington Cup meeting next week more. 

Sitting in the public stand reminded me of a mid week meeting I attended at Geelong last January. 

But we had a good day. Average cup of tea, terrible food, but really good punting. 

So it goes.....

1 hour ago, TurnipOrange said:

Bring back Group 1 Handicap sprints, We don't have the depth of horses in this country! Fillies and mares still get the 2 Kilo advantage.

Very sensible comment, which most people don't seem to have latched onto. The winner was thrown in at the weights. Half the field had no chance. It didn't even attract a 3yo, so there seemed to be little point it being WFA. I'm sure a full field of handicappers would have generated more turnover.