doric68

Doubles odds TAB

Recommended Posts

I just got the 1st double at  Awapuni ($87.30) & just compared with fixed & tote odds on the winners.The difference was the tote double (including the concession) paid 50% less than the other 2  on all up or fixed ($258 for all up & $312 for fixed),why the huge difference????.Can you experts explain as this happens very often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, doric68 said:

I just got the 1st double at  Awapuni ($87.30) & just compared with fixed & tote odds on the winners.The difference was the tote double (including the concession) paid 50% less than the other 2  on all up or fixed ($258 for all up & $312 for fixed),why the huge difference????.Can you experts explain as this happens very often.

Fixed odds you get that price irrespective of how many people take that double , on the tote more people have taken that as a double plus i think only 70% of the pool goes on the double , the other 30% on the concession . Don't hold me to the figures .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's because hardly anyone takes doubles these days and the pools would be very small. I have no idea what was in the pool, but could be less than $1,000. So the returns would seldom bare much relationship to the win odds. It only takes someone to take a $10 unit of one combo to totally distort the odds. I note the runner up in the second leg would have returned a bigger double despite being shorter on the tote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which brings me to another irritation I have.

Concession doubles were introduced about 1967 when the minimum bet on a double was $1 which equates to $17 in 2021 dollars, adjusted for inflation.  It was a great idea, at the time, but the ravages of inflation have made it a joke in 2021.  I doubt whether anybody in Jackson Street would be aware of how silly the situation has become.

Once upon a time the double was the preferred way to bet, as the take put was the same as win and place betting.  So much so that even the effete writer A.R.D. (Rex) Fairburn referred to striking the double in some of his prose written in about 1947.  Nowadays an effete poetess would think a double was two girlfriends at one time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, doric68 said:

I just got the 1st double at  Awapuni ($87.30) & just compared with fixed & tote odds on the winners.The difference was the tote double (including the concession) paid 50% less than the other 2  on all up or fixed ($258 for all up & $312 for fixed),why the huge difference????.Can you experts explain as this happens very often.

W/P dividends have little relation to Doubles. Something can be punted on FO but not taken in doubles and it can blow things out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you compare F/O bets with tote bets,because of the way bookies percentages are calculated, tote odds win overall ,117% versus 130%. Pool sizes only matter in that the bigger they are the more average they become, they are not better by virtue of their size. Take a survey of results on the tote compared to bookies prices on any meeting and it will be clear that a majority of tote divvies are better and therefore doubles should be better as well except for the fact of the concession,so at the end of the day THAT is the choice, a double with the chance of a concession that reduces the payout but increases your chances versus fixed odds " better" price but no concession

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nukkledragga said:

If you compare F/O bets with tote bets,because of the way bookies percentages are calculated, tote odds win overall ,117% versus 130%. Pool sizes only matter in that the bigger they are the more average they become, they are not better by virtue of their size. Take a survey of results on the tote compared to bookies prices on any meeting and it will be clear that a majority of tote divvies are better and therefore doubles should be better as well except for the fact of the concession,so at the end of the day THAT is the choice, a double with the chance of a concession that reduces the payout but increases your chances versus fixed odds " better" price but no concession

True. I don’t mind them actually, particularly if you have a strong fancy in one leg. Jag a roughie and it can be very lucrative.....😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.