RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
scooby3051

DEAN MCKENZIE ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS FROM RACECAFE

Hi members I have had a discussion with Dean McKenzie and he is once again happy to answer any relevant questions you all may have again as he did last year. Please submit them here and I will forward them on again for his responses. Once again thanks very much to him for taking these questions and agreeing to get the answers back to us here on RaceCafe.

Thank you Dean for your time.

Questions are:

1. Does he believe the TAB website/app has  performance issues?  and it is operating at the level they would expect after 2 plus years at a cost of over $80M?
  2. Does he believe the Gov can legislate to have NZ'ers beat only with NZ TAB, yet have foreigners beat with the NZ TAB?  Are the double standards here?
  3. Why can horse owners race thier horses in OZ but punters could not bet in OZ?
  4. Have we a timeframe to see increased dividends to NZTR and therefore increased prize money?
  5. What is the turnover on the low class racing from South America etc?

Thanks

1. Why hasn't the TAB adopted affiliate marketing? Is it a case of not knowing what it is? Or are the costs too high for the potential reward of bringing in new customers?

2. A follow-up on Question 1. You ban any NZ-based site to advertise offshore bookmakers, but make no effort to get NZ-facing sites to advertise the NZ TAB. Why?

Thanks.

Daryl Curnow

With financial reporting can you ensure domestic racing figures are reported vs domestic racing figures for the same period last year for the sake of transparency on how the NZ racing industry is doing minus Australian/overseas product? 

Is it also possible to provide a turnover figure minus the bonus bet turnover for the sake of transparency? 

Can you clarify what kind of cost/benefit analysis is conducted on what frequency for new overseas racing product and whether you are monitoring trackside viewing as well as betting activity to gauge stakeholder appeal or otherwise? Are you measuring whether new overseas racing is simply splitting existing turnover more or whether it is adding to the existing turnover? 

What do you see as the top 3 things the Tab does to "promote NZ racing"

Clearly, despite significant investment there are still technical challenges with the new website and it is no more competitive against multiple offshore agencies than the old site was. What is done is done but what are the long term plans to attract a wider audience to use the NZ tab/get a satisfactory product for the significant annual sum being paid?  

Has the tab considered asking for widespread existing customer feedback eg via survey online and or at racetracks to identify what services/experiences are valued (or not) and wanted (or not) that may not be available currently, to inform future planning? 

Current turnover growth is very positive, however there is a widespread post lockdown boost in other areas for example in retail also. Are you confident the current growth will continue? If it doesn't or the figures become less favourable, can you guarantee you will continue to provide the racing industry with the current level of financial reports for transparency? 

Thank you for your time

If the TAB is definitely not looking to reinstate Trackside Radio in its original form in the future what are the possibilities of at least getting a frequency where the simulcast of NZ and Australian races can be heard . The single most common complaint i hear is the lack of ability to have a bet and not be able to hear it run , 95% of these people have also stated that their betting is reduced because of this . 

Do you have any figures that back up the decision to remove radio coverage so then your customers could have some clarity and understanding around the decision .

Thankyou 

Edited by nomates
addition

- How can the TAB post millions as profit in the Annual Accounts for merchant fees when the amount to look to recover is only supposed to represent the actual cost of the service for a  business. Cost and recovery for the fees should balance each other out. And why does the TAB who are presently pleading for customers to come back and bet with us continue to charge this fee when Australian bookmakers and TAB's incur the cost of credit card fees themselves.    

- When can the Industry expect the promised independent report back in Mach of last year on why millions of dollars in bonus bets over the past two years were not accounted for correctly to the point where the Annual  Financial Accounts from two years ago were wrongly reported to the Racing Minister and Industry.   

I think I asked this question already but did not get a full answer.Are any new TOTE BASED bets a possibility,exactas for instance, or my preference ,cross code multi type bets on tote pools,rather than through the bookies,117%poolsversus 130%+bookies odds, or ANYTHING  ELSE on the tote .I am NOT INTERESTED IN BOOKIES PROMOS.

41 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Wow there are some killjoys out there...at least the guy is prepared to put his hand up and offer to answer questions...why not offer a question rather than just a negative sad sack response...JMO.

Hi Scooby. I appreciate that he is coming on here, and thank him for it and you for providing the platform.

I also think he and those in similar positions have an obligation to answer to participants. 

Another question, does Dean race horses?  I am guessing he does, are they in NZ or overseas?

5 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Hi Scooby. I appreciate that he is coming on here, and thank him for it and you for providing the platform.

I also think he and those in similar positions have an obligation to answer to participants. 

Another question, does Dean race horses?  I am guessing he does, are they in NZ or overseas?

Yes so ask questions dont just moan about nothing changing if you are not prepared to put in some suggestions...JMO

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

Wow there are some killjoys out there...at least the guy is prepared to put his hand up and offer to answer questions...why not offer a question rather than just a negative sad sack response...JMO.

No Scoobs. I never mentioned DMcK or his answering/asking of questions. I was referring to racing people and the years of frustration of a lot of inaction and dicking around from within that has possibly killed their enthusiasm. Hence the lack of questions. Probably what’s needed is more proactive actions, better advance communication of what is going to happen accompanied by timelines and milestone achievements. ie, less talk, less love fests (eg, aren’t we doing well ! You know, the JA type of approach) and more about an achievable plan, set out, with timelines and ticked off when achieved. No excuses. 

48 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Yes so ask questions dont just moan about nothing changing if you are not prepared to put in some suggestions...JMO

I have asked questions here (8 above) but expect the answers to be political and hard to pin a hat too. I am not a moaner by nature, I get dishearten in this industry as I see the slide in all areas. I am personally addicted. Would punt on most days, attend about 20 race meetings a year and have shares in a few horses, contribute to the local club. I love the game.  

But we are kidding ourselves about this increased turnover.  There has been no improvements for trainers, clubs, owners or punters since pre COVID-19.  This increased turnover is purely a result of less areas to spend funds. 

Dean today Ellerslie staged two $10,000 Maiden races. In provincial Victoria today they ran Maiden races for $25,000 and $27,500. What plans do you have for boosting minimum stakes? Also are you looking at alternative income streams such as stallion levies or levies on exported horses? Thanks.

18 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Dean today Ellerslie staged two $10,000 Maiden races. In provincial Victoria today they ran Maiden races for $25,000 and $27,500. What plans do you have for boosting minimum stakes? Also are you looking at alternative income streams such as stallion levies or levies on exported horses? Thanks.

Are we all going to start betting twice as much to get those stakes up?

You cant make honey out of dog shit,we are a very small market compared to Australia.

Just to add that's my comment,I'm not Mr McKenzie in disguise.

3 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

I have asked questions here (8 above) but expect the answers to be political and hard to pin a hat too. I am not a moaner by nature, I get dishearten in this industry as I see the slide in all areas. I am personally addicted. Would punt on most days, attend about 20 race meetings a year and have shares in a few horses, contribute to the local club. I love the game.  

But we are kidding ourselves about this increased turnover.  There has been no improvements for trainers, clubs, owners or punters since pre COVID-19.  This increased turnover is purely a result of less areas to spend funds. 

I was not referencing you actually.

My question.....What are the realistic and achievable 'game-changers' in his Strategic and Business Plans to increase Betting Profits and decrease operating costs which will provide the Codes significantly more money to return to owners and future proof the Industry.

What is his opinion on the current level of returns to Owners /Industry and does he think these are sustainable. ?

On 1/10/2021 at 4:59 PM, scooby3051 said:

Scoob, I view Q & A sessions like this the same way I regard 'debates' at Election time.

Mucho promisings, very little deliverings.

Think of all Jacinda's promises from the election Winston installled her as PM at ... and then ponder all the non-deliveries that hvae ensued...

One question please.

I recently have read that doubles were introduced in 1967 and were $1 bet which in today's money equivalent to $17. 

My question is.. has there been any review/thoughts to an increase in minimum bet size across all bet types?