RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
chevy86

Some of My Takeouts from ARC Xmas Racing

1. Superb atmosphere, weather, crowds, track and horse numbers.

2.Stipes reports which seem to suggest a high level of horse intractability? rider incompetence?

3. Stormy!!

4. Bosson's "competitive (Elliot)" riding comes unstuck--maybe the wasting ( both SofS and I of Paris 56.5kgs which he has had to forgo rides at recently) is making him an irritable jockey.

5. Joan Egan--have never seen the lady before but what a gracious, articulate interview she gave after Concert Hall's win.

6. Crossing caution. The huge dust cloud thrown up as a large field (Cup I think) went over the crossing could potentially cause a problem. Worth mitigating.

14 hours ago, chevy86 said:

1. Superb atmosphere, weather, crowds, track and horse numbers.

2.Stipes reports which seem to suggest a high level of horse intractability? rider incompetence?

3. Stormy!!

4. Bosson's "competitive (Elliot)" riding comes unstuck--maybe the wasting ( both SofS and I of Paris 56.5kgs which he has had to forgo rides at recently) is making him an irritable jockey.

5. Joan Egan--have never seen the lady before but what a gracious, articulate interview she gave after Concert Hall's win.

6. Crossing caution. The huge dust cloud thrown up as a large field (Cup I think) went over the crossing could potentially cause a problem. Worth mitigating.

Good takeouts Chevy on what appeared a successful and well managed 2 x day Carnival.

There are many gracious and articulate folk involved in racing...I sat with a couple of such folk [ Owners] whom I'd never met before and they too fit that mould.

I also sat with a couple of 'serious' punters who never bet on course.....every bet done via phone. One bets solely with NZ TAB and happy with odds he able to get plus follows Bonus bet promotions closely. Digital bets the way forward.

The results of Jamie Richards really stood out.....memorable really and the top jocks certainly dominated as well.

Also notable that no winners outside the first four favourites won until the 20th and final race..

New Years day much more relaxed than Boxing Day which had 3 x times the crowd [ apparently] 

Great atmosphere and racing IMO.

13 hours ago, mikenz said:

Be fair to say most of the crowd who did turn up over the 2 days wont be seen again till next year,

Were you there mikenz ?

As the most prolific poster currently on racecafe ,I wonder where your info/knowledge comes from.

What area do you  live in and whats your involvement ?

Boxing Day is Ellerslie's biggest day but the shortened Karaka day in late January is a big day as well .

Then the Cup day and Derby Day in March get a good turnout as does Melbourne Cup day.

Many of my young 'whips and spurs' party type friends and acquaintances go a few times a year to 'party type days' while the premier racing days mentioned above attract many repeat visits.

Hundreds venture north from Waikato where many of the horses and owners are from , plus there are over a thousand paid up members.

Anyway.....a couple of friends asked me to find out more about you and whether you have any skin in the game .

One said he would like to show you around the place sometime...I'm asking for that friend !

2 hours ago, tasman man said:

Were you there mikenz ?

As the most prolific poster currently on racecafe ,I wonder where your info/knowledge comes from.

What area do you  live in and whats your involvement ?

Boxing Day is Ellerslie's biggest day but the shortened Karaka day in late January is a big day as well .

Then the Cup day and Derby Day in March get a good turnout as does Melbourne Cup day.

Many of my young 'whips and spurs' party type friends and acquaintances go a few times a year to 'party type days' while the premier racing days mentioned above attract many repeat visits.

Hundreds venture north from Waikato where many of the horses and owners are from , plus there are over a thousand paid up members.

Anyway.....a couple of friends asked me to find out more about you and whether you have any skin in the game .

One said he would like to show you around the place sometime...I'm asking for that friend !

Agree...who are you Mikenz?

Always bitching and moaning.

ARC is the best club in the country...boxing day and cup day have been terrific.

great atmosphere, racing, crowds, track! I was in the hospitality area and the service was second to none and I’ve been to some of the biggest meetings in the world...and it’s world class! Paul Wilcox has done a terrific job there with his team. 
It has the best facilities of anywhere in the country!

lets put in that strathayr track and race there every week or on a more regular basis than we do, particularly in the winter months!

Come on people let's not be too serious here,it is true that the large majority of race goers who turn  up at holidays are mostly once a years attendees and that's ok,Tasman you actually alluded to how much I post on here,true but it's all wearing a bit thin these days,i really only started posting here when the TAB went belly up and started making cuts and changes,restructuring,everybody had their own ideas,who am I,well I could ask the same of others ,no I'm nowhere near Auckland and dont plan on visiting either,no I dont race horse,any horse I would own if I raced it I would probably beat it,I'm just a casual follower,have been for years,as for the bitching and moaning comment from another poster,heaps here moaning about the state of things,the TAB,the state of racing where it's going,it will still survive,in what form who knows and yes I read comments slagging off Ellerslie but in reality the two days over the last was very good,good stakes good fields etc but in reality for the number of people who do live there the numbers who do turn up at events is pretty modest.

Just to add I watched the Perth cup last night,the crowd we saw in one shot before the start was massive,will those same folk be there next week probably not but that's ok but the actual race was cracking and lo and behold straight after trackside left all the hype to go to globe derby to show a race with 5 in it,now I know that our lot have no control over what we see but sometimes the coverage can be a bit more professional,have a good day anyway.

30 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Come on people let's not be too serious here,it is true that the large majority of race goers who turn  up at holidays are mostly once a years attendees and that's ok,Tasman you actually alluded to how much I post on here,true but it's all wearing a bit thin these days,i really only started posting here when the TAB went belly up and started making cuts and changes,restructuring,everybody had their own ideas,who am I,well I could ask the same of others ,no I'm nowhere near Auckland and dont plan on visiting either,no I dont race horse,any horse I would own if I raced it I would probably beat it,I'm just a casual follower,have been for years,as for the bitching and moaning comment from another poster,heaps here moaning about the state of things,the TAB,the state of racing where it's going,it will still survive,in what form who knows and yes I read comments slagging off Ellerslie but in reality the two days over the last was very good,good stakes good fields etc but in reality for the number of people who do live there the numbers who do turn up at events is pretty modest.

Just to add I watched the Perth cup last night,the crowd we saw in one shot before the start was massive,will those same folk be there next week probably not but that's ok but the actual race was cracking and lo and behold straight after trackside left all the hype to go to globe derby to show a race with 5 in it,now I know that our lot have no control over what we see but sometimes the coverage can be a bit more professional,have a good day anyway.

Good on you for standing up for your views...thats what the site is about robust debate...be a funny old world if we all agreed all the time...I agree to a certain extent about the once a year attendees..but thats a start they have some sort of interest the trick is how to convert that into more than just once a year...and even maybe get them involved in owning one or a piece of one...????

As I’ve mentioned here a few times, the 4 day Melb Cup carnival pays for the VRC’s entire year. So what? The racing during the year is still good and more enjoyable without the 100,000 people to wade through ! Similarly, all Clubs (incl Ellerslie) need their carnival days to work. 
As for involvement in racing a horse. Syndicates are the way it’s going. Te Akau are probably the best at it. I’ve got 40 new people ready to go into a racing a leased horse. I managed to secure a lease on a nicely bred filly that was passed in ($90k) at a sale and I’ve got 75% of it for the 40 punters. Took 48 hours to get the 40 people and about 28 have never raced a horse! 

16 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Good on you for standing up for your views...thats what the site is about robust debate...be a funny old world if we all agreed all the time...I agree to a certain extent about the once a year attendees..but thats a start they have some sort of interest the trick is how to convert that into more than just once a year...and even maybe get them involved in owning one or a piece of one...????

Well, his comments re Kate Hercock revealed a lot about him ! Says a lot. 

Season greetings all. 

I managed both days and I thought they were the best in years. Much busier than prior years.  New Year’s Day was very enjoyable. I wandered around the whole place and everyone seemed to be having a great time.   The public arena was brilliant. 

My take outs:  

- great weather makes a massive difference to walk up crowds

- Avantage is pure class, but Levante has it all in front of her (huge run)

- the sales have a feeling of being stronger than this time next year  

- there a re times when Opie rides at a sublime level

- yes a lot of the visitors will be once a year but a lot of people go to the beach or fishing once a year too. We just need a few to want join a syndicate etc. 

- prize money needs to be at this level more often

- Our ratings system has some holes in it. A horse likes Tai Mai goes up 5 points for winning a $80k race like a race winner of a Matamata $10k race on 23rd December. Crazy. 

thanks ARC

I have grown up with a pretty vast sense of humour,sadly a lot today's humour, if one called it that doesn't tickle my fancy,some people might find weak humour like Miranda or Michael Macintyre funny, sadly I don't.

Don’t forget it’s COVID times and there’s a lot more people staying home due to International travel restrictions. Bigger race crowds should therefore result at the holiday carnivals. (Within the COVID crowd limits of course). 

When the Gold Coast Turf Club opened its Magic Millions race day bookings, a mate of mine managed to secure a table of 6 spots in the Skyline Lounge. 4 course lunch and free booze all day (12pm-5pm). Cost? $700 per person ! They sold out the entire Skyline lounge within a short time (same day). That’s twice as much as I payed for a spot in the Panorama Restaurant at the Arc De Triomphe in Paris! The Arc was the “best” oncourse dining experience I’ve ever had. 

8 hours ago, mikenz said:

I have grown up with a pretty vast sense of humour,sadly a lot today's humour, if one called it that doesn't tickle my fancy,some people might find weak humour like Miranda or Michael Macintyre funny, sadly I don't.

How about posting your real name so we can all have a go at that funny man!

On 1/3/2021 at 2:12 AM, MrBigStuff said:

Agree...who are you Mikenz?

Always bitching and moaning.

ARC is the best club in the country...boxing day and cup day have been terrific.

great atmosphere, racing, crowds, track! I was in the hospitality area and the service was second to none and I’ve been to some of the biggest meetings in the world...and it’s world class! Paul Wilcox has done a terrific job there with his team. 
It has the best facilities of anywhere in the country!

lets put in that strathayr track and race there every week or on a more regular basis than we do, particularly in the winter months!

I'm always amazed how people seem stunned that a club with the best dates, best infrastructure, biggest population in the country & biggest races are able to get crowd support to their race days over the summer period. Is it because their other race days are so poorly patronised?

Racing over this period is popular no matter where it is held, there is no secret formula to it. Couple this with the Covid environment and you have to be doing a very poor job to screw it up, hey even Rugby got the crowds back!

Is there an argument to say that ARC underperform compared to other venues given the support they get from the industry etc?

41 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

I thoroughly enjoyed both days, although the dark shades, false beard and fake moustache got a bit tiresome in the heat 

I particularly enjoyed parking my new Bentley soft top right beside the admin office building, in an RIU car park .....

What do you think your chances would be of parking there again?

2 hours ago, poundforpound said:

I thoroughly enjoyed both days, although the dark shades, false beard and fake moustache got a bit tiresome in the heat 

I particularly enjoyed parking my new Bentley soft top right beside the admin office building, in an RIU car park .....

That’d be in the late Herbie Dyke’s car park wouldn’t it :) 

5 hours ago, poundforpound said:

A private 'D' frantically asked if I had seen the short chap from the Viaduct and I  quickly  !sent him away from the Fashions in the Field stage as I could see you were just about to go on stage. The fact you never won I put down to bias on part of judges.

And I never mentioned that I had seen you arrive in your Bentley !

8 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Huge... don’t forget I run NZ thoroughbred racing from behind the scenes 

Good God, I wouldn't admit to that, given the paralyse state that it's in.

I must admit, that I once tried to do the same and failed, so I admire your tenacity.

Liz