RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

HB in trouble

No one seems to have noticed the HB New Years meeting in trouble. 58 noms for the entire programme. They have left open races with 3 and 4 noms. In the SI they would instantly delete those races because of insufficient interest. Seems to be different rules for the NI. That meeting has always struggled for horses and yet nothing has ever been done about it. Waikouaiti got moved off NY's day, perhaps HB should be next to go.

NZTR is saying that if they don’t get more nominations the meeting won’t go ahead. 

How many more do they need for it to proceed?

It reminds me of the Health Inspector arriving at Bart Cummings training establishment, then proceeding to tell Bart that he had too many flies at which Bart asked; “how many am I allowed?”

With regard to HB I guess we wait until tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

No one seems to have noticed the HB New Years meeting in trouble. 58 noms for the entire programme. They have left open races with 3 and 4 noms. In the SI they would instantly delete those races because of insufficient interest. Seems to be different rules for the NI. That meeting has always struggled for horses and yet nothing has ever been done about it. Waikouaiti got moved off NY's day, perhaps HB should be next to go.

Thinking the same,wait till ,Wairarapa maybe each is cancelling the other one out.

What's the nature of the problem? Is there too much racing for the horse population at this time of year?

The ground is a Dead 5 so shouldn't be an issue.

Is it a quality vs quantity question? Given there are many more slow horses than fast ones, races for slow horses should attract more entries.

The problem is punters don't just want wide-open low-grade handicaps. There has to be some variety and if that means a 3-runner race, doesn't mean it can't be interesting.

Is the problem one of race planning - too many of the same kind of race in the same region - I see NZ runs three meetings only rarely and perhaps it can only really sustain two on any day?

8 hours ago, uneasy said:

You’re right I understand open 1200 at Riverton deleted with 5 noms (3 dual noms) but should have been at least given a chance!!

Riverton may still get the 9 races judging by noms for some races.

8 hours ago, uneasy said:

You’re right I understand open 1200 at Riverton deleted with 5 noms (3 dual noms) but should have been at least given a chance!!

And Kurow had a race deleted as well. A couple of weeks ago a race with 6 initial noms was warned it would need more noms to go ahead. I think it is totally safe to say that any race in the SI with 3 or 4 noms would be deleted instantly.

14 hours ago, mikenz said:

Just to add,this is a situation where maybe dual code meetings would be a option.

Just to add,Tauranga and Thames following Rotorua,maybe a bit of overkill

Exactlley with Taupo as well

1 hour ago, gubellini said:

Tauranga Saturday 4 nominated for the Open 1400m; 5 nominated for the R74 2100m; 5 nominated for the R65 1400m; 7 nominated for the R74 1200m. Disastrous numbers for tote turnovers.

Best thing is to reduce meetings,ok after Tauranga is Thames ,any idea how they are shaping?

33 minutes ago, gubellini said:

mikenz Thames race at Te Aroha on Sunday. 198 nominations for the 8 races. Unless they split some of the Maiden races some horses will miss a start.

So just looking at Tauranga and Hastings dump those meetings,shift Wairarapa to Jan 1,shift Taranaki back to one day,leave Thames as they are,simple.and by getting riddof Tauranga it will probably increase numbers for Taupo,a popular holiday spot,Tauranga and Hastings run a lot of good meetings,reducing them by one won't hurt them at all,they have other days to shine in the sun

14 hours ago, mikenz said:

So just looking at Tauranga and Hastings dump those meetings,shift Wairarapa to Jan 1,shift Taranaki back to one day,leave Thames as they are,simple.and by getting riddof Tauranga it will probably increase numbers for Taupo,a popular holiday spot,Tauranga and Hastings run a lot of good meetings,reducing them by one won't hurt them at all,they have other days to shine in the sun

A lot of what you say will happen generically the way the industry is being operated, at any rate.

19 minutes ago, mikenz said:

6races at Wairarapa and,that's  6at Hastings as well,might makes sense to just have one good one,what do others reckon?

Incedently 5 trotting races as well,so this is another option,cd area needs more harness racing Taranaki the other day could have also,run some harness,would be interesting though to see how numbers stacked up,Cambridge raced yesty but the litmus test would be would the harness guys go on the road trip,contrary to what the suits think I actually think some like the odd road trip,it's a bit of variety.