RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nelli

Auckland Fri noms

With back to back Cambridge: Auckland meetings I would guess Auckland fields will be small and rather ho hum this Friday. All 2200 m except for the 2yos. Trotters again getting the short stick: no mobiles even though could for the maidens and <R50, and the main trot only $16K whereas the main pacing race will be $17.5.  How about treating both gaits a little more equally and mixing things up a bit more? No reason the pacing races couldn't be stands for a change. If the reason is punters don't like stands, then why is it the norm for trotters?  The number of trotters and pacers is getting pretty even up here so thats not the rationale anymore. 

40 trotters racing for total of $52K and 36 pacers racing for $56K. Pacing maiden f&m given preferential draws while sexes treated equally in maiden trots. All stands versus all mobiles. Anyone explain why the two gaits are treated differently? 

On 12/14/2020 at 6:13 PM, Nelli said:

With back to back Cambridge: Auckland meetings I would guess Auckland fields will be small and rather ho hum this Friday. All 2200 m except for the 2yos. Trotters again getting the short stick: no mobiles even though could for the maidens and <R50, and the main trot only $16K whereas the main pacing race will be $17.5.  How about treating both gaits a little more equally and mixing things up a bit more? No reason the pacing races couldn't be stands for a change. If the reason is punters don't like stands, then why is it the norm for trotters?  The number of trotters and pacers is getting pretty even up here so thats not the rationale anymore. 

We are starting to get far too much common sense spoken on the harness forum; it's giving the game a bad name.

One thing I note is how few real sponsors they can attract in a city of millions of people. It is noticeable that Manawatu is getting bigger fields and more sponsors; surely that should be a worry, or does nobody care?

Tis, Auckland Trotting Club not Auckland Pacing Club or even Auckland Harness Club so why not support your name sake more... trotters even get the short end in jewels.

The Non winners Trot Friday could have had a boys and girls race 9 in one 11 in other but Hangon Thrillsnpills that's logical thinking how dear you think like that we the ATC have to come up with that idea first  ha ha sorry...  

All very well with50% trot races but betting will suffer esp doing it every alternate race. just dont have the clashes even a zoo primate would eventually work that out..... if its tried and failed then try something else. . while I am being insulting Addington should know races will not be able to be run less than 20 mins apart. horses inevitably dont understand the need for running on a tight time frame.It':rcf-sad-10:s.Been tried andfailed..... 25 mins pos best that will work and that's with fingers crossed. 

2 hours ago, ivanthegreat said:

PATHETIC............. This meeting was incredible 20 years ago.

I think I counted 12 people on the front fence watching race 7 WTF 

This is the heart of Northern Trotting I'm afraid watching Safrakova go round for another time just doesn't rock anybody's boat.

Gee I thought I was the only one finding watching average harness racing a bit tedious,why dont we form a club for the let's make harness racing great again,plenty to do aye.😪

Rangiora,summer cup Rating 55,6 starters,Westport coming up Rating 55,Motukarara after Westport Rating 55,is this smart programming,add in Ashburton midweek as well,something's gotta give,2 or 3 years ago a large number of the gallops meetings over xmas/new year had 50 or 60 horses for the entire meeting,seems the numbers are a bit better but the harness willprobably be reasonable numbers for the maiden races,beyond that it's a wait and see

On 12/19/2020 at 1:55 PM, mikenz said:

Gee I thought I was the only one finding watching average harness racing a bit tedious,why dont we form a club for the let's make harness racing great again,plenty to do aye.😪

I would say watching average harness racing I dont watch a heap of it these days,its just same old same old,maybe it's just me,not sure,but trackside with wall to wall,i can take it or leave it.

I'm picking they will want every squaregaiter and amateur horse they can get for next Tuesday to card 8 races.      Will be good to actually attend Cambridge on a lovely sunny day as opposed to their usual gloomy Thursday nights.      

1 hour ago, thrillsnspills said:

Tuesday is a twilight meeting first race be about 4.30 but if 20 plus nominate for non winners trot will they put 2 races on bet they wont if you don't look after your grass roots things will full over and do they care probably not   

The clubs haven't done too bad lately in regard to giving starts to horses in North.

As you say ATC made 2 x non winners trot races from 20 noms ...overall their total noms were low.

Waikato chose not to go to 2 x races for NW trots from 20 noms ,making one capacity fields and some missed the cut.

But total noms were strong [ 143 ] and what was a 10 race programme became 12 races.....thats impressive !

The few who missed out in NW Trot will surely get their chance next week.

NW trots who missed Thursday could also miss again Tuesday if they go by the same ratings ie first Pref then Highest rating to lowest and that could also apply to the following Thursday now what are those owners going to do. At the moment and its been happening for a while we are getting good numbers for trotters  so I say cater from them its a hard one I know particular this time of year but like always trots always get the blunt end of the stick. Just my observation but I could be wrong.  

18 minutes ago, tasman man said:

The clubs haven't done too bad lately in regard to giving starts to horses in North.

As you say ATC made 2 x non winners trot races from 20 noms ...overall their total noms were low.

Waikato chose not to go to 2 x races for NW trots from 20 noms ,making one capacity fields and some missed the cut.

But total noms were strong [ 143 ] and what was a 10 race programme became 12 races.....thats impressive !

The few who missed out in NW Trot will surely get their chance next week.

Why they dont have some of the northern meetings on a big roomy grass track at this time of year is astounding,not everybody wants solely same old same old,and believe it or not just like Canterbury grass meetings I'd say they would be very popular,what has gone wrong with the harness leaders?

On 12/21/2020 at 1:21 PM, mikenz said:

6 for the big trot at Cambridge,be able to bring in some rating 40s to make up the numbers.

But probably the top 3 trotters in NZ currently.

Two weeks ago 2 of these 3 took part in a brilliant race of Bonecrusher / Waverly Star proportions.

No need to clog the race track up with slow slugs .......

Should be a stunner.....certainly a step up from battlers racing on a rugby field with obstacles like a speed bump [crossing] which has punters holding their breathe !

Main trot at Methven recently saw the 4 favs go off stride !

11 hours ago, thrillsnspills said:

Harness leaders are followers not leaders they have forgotten how to lead.  

Current trends suggest different.

Since the lockdown which halted 30 years of steady decline in Harness and the TAB  technically bankrupt and bailed out by Winston  ,Harness has been on bit of a 'resurgence'.

Most key statistics seem to be heading in the right direction ,mostly increases on previous years .

In particular total domestic turnover is up over 15 % , more horses are racing , having more starts etc etc.

So the leaders.....and there have been changes ......seem to be making progress.

Meanwhile some followers eg MKerr ,don't seem to be pulling their weight !

Clubs seem to be making more effort to promote the Industry and their racedays.

How much of the turnover figure is "phantom" - no money involved.    The TAB always sending me offers of freebies.     They will be included you can guarantee even though no money is invested.      A Math teacher of mine when I was at school (yes a distant memory) taught me that figures can be made to give whatever answer you want!!