RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
eljay

Are You Going to Auckland for the Christmas/New Year break?

My advice to you is simply - Don't!     To get there is a battle on it's own especially for those whose usual driving expeditions are on the quiet rural thoroughfares.      You will do very well to reach the big smoke without encountering road works, reduced speed limits, and even worse detours with little symbols that seem to vanish after they begin and leave you completely perplexed as to how to regain access to the highway that has been closed for a small section.      But well done if you make it to the metropolis but be wary it don't end there.     The majority of main urban routes are all partially closed (lane reductions etc) as a trap for the unwary.    Many of these closures are not for road works but off street construction allowing clear access to the construction firms to the detriment of the unsuspecting motorist.    Many of these areas are not being used all the time but the restrictions still apply 24/7.      And be very wary, most road works/construction sites are accompanied by a fleet of vehicles each with a driver aboard who is usually asleep.    And these vehicles seem to be immune from the road rules as they park anywhere - on broken or unbroken yellow lines, across access ways, partially on pedestrian paths and right up to intersections where they block the sight line for turning traffic.    Mr Goff has been pleading for New Zealanders to holiday in his city, but Phil, how can they.     Perhaps you should drive around and see for yourself instead of sitting at your desk enjoying ratepayers funded morning & afternon teas.

And you would think that with all this disruption the buzzards would have nowhere they could lie in waiting with their speed guns.    But no, they swarm over the very few roads where one can drive uninhibited.     So far, with hand on my head, I have escaped them!  

Well said.

Bear in mind also, that if you have a current Drivers License which has expired. it appears the other Phil, that of Phil Twiford in his role as Transport Minister has FAILED to send a message to  Financial Institutions /Banks and Telecommunications providers and others one's current one was auto extended in April, 2020 bc of Coronavirus19 and may still be current despite it not having been renewed yet.

Auckland CBD (imho) is not a “pretty” place. Queen Street is a dog. If you compare the heart of Auckland with,say, Melbourne’s BOURKE Street Mall and its alley ways of cafes etc, or, Brisbane’s Queen Street Mall, Riverfront cafes, Southbank area of restaurants, swimming pool/beach, the Auckland doesn’t offer up much to entice you into the centre. Queen Street is not inviting. The City Centre is a mess. 

Very true, and if your going to venture north of warkworth your far better off going Highway 16, very mellow scenic drive that at present is void of roadworks bar the most expensive roundabout ever built if you turn  off at Silverdale to head through Waitoki, that thing has been going for months 😳 only drawback on 16 is the condition of some of the road particularly closer to point Albert

..... and learn to merge!!!  If your in a lane that is ending go to the end BEFORE merging like a Zip, biggest cause of congestion on motorways many obviously havnt read the road code ,although it does boil down to common sense 🙄  The City is being redesigned for the Green freaks , the marxist Goff and Fossil fuel  hating Swarbruck will have everyone not wanting to drive

Since the merger of the Auckland councils (thanks Rodney) it has been an utter expensive disaster "led" by Brown & Goff.      A shining example of left wing monopolism.     The latest joke - they have oodles of the extra regional petrol tax in a shoe box under Phils bed but they need to further up the rates, no doubt to make that bed even more comfortable for his highness! 

Downtown pumping today.....day 1 of America's Cup racing.......shame a lot of the Downtown roadworks still months away from completion...Geez ,even on my pushbike I had to swerve several excited folk today and stopped by various security , cops as well. Gotta walk some shared paths now !

Sad to see so many cars being towed away from Tamaki Drive today.....saw dozens who will be somewhat pist.But coverage of race on TV and general excitement around place was good to see .

Elsewhere , too many carlanes and parking being replaced by bike lanes but gotta be good for general fitness of population !

Water temp great currently and at last they trying to keep sewerage out of the harbour ,beaches etc......currently Covid free too , Govt still printing plenty of money ,booze still plentiful and millions of vaccines on order and free of course.

Things great in Godzone......even have #1 ranking in World Cup [ nearly] and our horsemen dominating in Aussie and USA[DDunn]

Even Strawberries down 30c a punnett.....magic !

Just now, tasman man said:

Downtown pumping today.....day 1 of America's Cup racing.......shame a lot of the Downtown roadworks still months away from completion...Geez ,even on my pushbike I had to swerve several excited folk today and stopped by various security , cops as well. Gotta walk some shared paths now !

Sad to see so many cars being towed away from Tamaki Drive today.....saw dozens who will be somewhat pist.But coverage of race on TV and general excitement around place was good to see .

Elsewhere , too many carlanes and parking being replaced by bike lanes but gotta be good for general fitness of population !

Water temp great currently and at last they trying to keep sewerage out of the harbour ,beaches etc......currently Covid free too , Govt still printing plenty of money ,booze still plentiful and millions of vaccines on order and free of course.

Things great in Godzone......even have #1 ranking in World Cup [ nearly] and our horsemen dominating in Aussie and USA[DDunn]

Even Strawberries down 30c a punnett.....magic !

That is #1 ranking in World Cricket !

Went to Cambridge yesterday - was passed along the Ohinewai straight by a monstrous articulated vehicle which would have trouble fitting under many bridges - in other words a big fukka.      I was doing about 112.

Also very noticeable how many young foreign (if I'm allowed to say that) drivers have lost the art of driving, probably through inactivity over the shut downs.      I shudder to think of the looming road toll over the holiday period - hope I'm wrong.     Remember  the number one road rule for the holidays is COURTESY.    Don't cause others to take needless risks through your own selfishness.

You seem like a very level headed individual Eljay, arguably the biggest single issue in our road toll is ignorant drivers, you cannot control impatience... i hear in Canada if you are holding up traffic you have to pull over , and it all boils down to COURTESY... if you treat every other driver on our dangerous roads  like its you given different emotive states ,different levels of impatience mostly due to being late for appointments or time constraints and there will  be fewer fatalities.... speeding drivers are more aware unless they are under other influence BUT if your aware this will be obvious....If your alert you improve your odds on our opposing lane roads, but individually this can mean just the unfortunate placing of light Standards or Other rigid impediments😒 Be safe, be alert this Xmas 😃

And remember you have rear & wing mirrors for a reason, not decoration, so constant use of these devices can keep you alert as to what is the total picture around you.    And of course remember that indicators are just that - not "hello signals" as many large rigs appear to believe.